Discuss Demon's Souls and the start of the Souls Series
Wiki: Demon's Souls Wiki

HazamaOuroborous

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 939.00
Bank: 4,835.00
Wiki Edits: 90
So, I've been after Demon's Souls for a fair while, and by the looks of it I'm going to get the game for christmas.
Just thought I'd ask you guys if there's anything to keep in mind when I start the game, and if there's any tips/tricks I should know about :)
"Acts of goodness are not always wise, and acts of evil are not always foolish, but regardless, we shall always strive to be good" - Martyr Logarius

I have a shiny youtube thingy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAWBcU3fZAgxElrPxeoXgjg

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,792.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
If you play Dark Souls, it's not that different, but there are a few differences that you want to keep in mind.

First, there's no poise, just like for Bloodborne. Even you you wear the heaviest armor in the game, you will get just as easily staggered as a player who is wearing nothing. Also, Light armor is preferable, trust me. The difference in protection that heavy metal armor gives you compared to light armor is almost negligible, especially in NG+ and onwards. Better to stick with light armor like leather, cloth, and black assassin gear for it's ideal defense weight ratio.

Second, if you do magic, devote yourself to only one on your first playthough. The items required to get any of the good spells can only be used once for either miracles or sorcery, so you'll have to wait until NG+ to get the other magic spells. Also, magic is almost a necessity for pvp since almost everyone has it to an extent and it has some really powerful spells for both offense and survivibility like the sorcery warding which decreases all physical damage by 70%, making physical attacks do almost nothing. Magic weapons also have an advantage since they tend to do more damage, and since most enemies and players have a low defense against magic or fire (no lightning in this game).

Finally, Learn about world tendency on a wiki since I can't really explain it in full. It really affects parts of the game to where you might miss some things (not necessary of course, but still some good stuff) because of it.
Last edited by EldritchImagination on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Oh, about the world, talk to everyone, especially in the nexus, and explore everywhere to find the good stuff. If it looks like you can go there, try go there. rescue anyone you find in the world because they will often offer valuable services later on. Off load your stuff to stockpile Thomas too. There is a item burden in this game, so you don't want to have a full load and come across some good items that you have to sacrifice.

And don't trust the silent man in the big black armor
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

Alkaiser

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,329.50
Wiki Edits: 2
EldritchImagination wrote:And don't trust the silent man in the big black armor

Shhhh... First timers need the good parts of DeS. :twisted:

HazamaOuroborous

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 939.00
Bank: 4,835.00
Wiki Edits: 90
Alkaiser wrote:
EldritchImagination wrote:And don't trust the silent man in the big black armor

Shhhh... First timers need the good parts of DeS. :twisted:

Oh, that's not ominous at all! :tongue:
Ah righto, I'll make sure to read up on World Tendency before I get the game :)
I've often wondered why Fextralife doesn't have a Demon's Souls wiki.....
"Acts of goodness are not always wise, and acts of evil are not always foolish, but regardless, we shall always strive to be good" - Martyr Logarius

I have a shiny youtube thingy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAWBcU3fZAgxElrPxeoXgjg

Nickaayyy

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 444.00
Bank: 1,220.00
RESIST THE TEMPTATION OF THE UCHIGATANA!!

So powerful it is... But cursed is the sword and the quest for bladestone!!! :-/
“...We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open..."
Master Willem

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,906.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Ignore that bit about magic weapons. Split (ie between magic and physical) damage is lower damage if you have any scaling at all, with like 3 exceptions for really durable enemies. The primary reasons to use them are to cheap out on investing in a scaling stat or to get whatever bonus they have (some regenerate MP for example,) not for damage.

Split damage weapons have to go through 2 defenses to deal damage where pure physical is just one. If you have 400 physical and 400 magical attack (800 total) but they have 300 physical/magic defense you're only beating their defense by 200 points. Even if a pure physical weapon is 25% weaker (600 attack) it's only going through 300s points of defense once and so breaks said defense by 100 points more than the "stronger" split damage weapon.

There are like 2 pure magic weapons, but iirc neither is stronger than a physical equivalent as they seriously lack power and somewhat lower enemy defenses aren't enough to compensate.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 5,167.00
Forum_Pirate wrote:There are like 2 pure magic weapons, but iirc neither is stronger than a physical equivalent as they seriously lack power and somewhat lower enemy defenses aren't enough to compensate.

You don't use those weapons because of their power. You use those weapons because

they can't be blocked by shields.
A system error occurred during event movement.
A system error occurred during event movement...

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Forum_Pirate wrote:Ignore that bit about magic weapons. Split (ie between magic and physical) damage is lower damage if you have any scaling at all, with like 3 exceptions for really durable enemies. The primary reasons to use them are to cheap out on investing in a scaling stat or to get whatever bonus they have (some regenerate MP for example,) not for damage.

Split damage weapons have to go through 2 defenses to deal damage where pure physical is just one. If you have 400 physical and 400 magical attack (800 total) but they have 300 physical/magic defense you're only beating their defense by 200 points. Even if a pure physical weapon is 25% weaker (600 attack) it's only going through 300s points of defense once and so breaks said defense by 100 points more than the "stronger" split damage weapon.

There are like 2 pure magic weapons, but iirc neither is stronger than a physical equivalent as they seriously lack power and somewhat lower enemy defenses aren't enough to compensate.

Guess I just haven't invested too much in my physical stats yet. From what I've experienced, at equal stats for strength and magic (about 20), my crescent weapons deal quite a bit more damage to most enemies than my physicals. Also, magic weapons have a major advantage over physicals in pvp against other sorcerers because of warding, which doesn't reduce magic or fire damage.

Physicals on the other hand can be enchanted, which makes them stronger than magic or fire.

here's a weapon calculator for the game
Weapon calculator

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Oh also, I don't know why, it says it shouldn't, but two handing a Dragon or crescent weapon still gives it a damage boost, though very small, despite have no strength scaling. I don't know why.