For the PvP nuts! Debate tactics, discuss builds, and set up duels. Play nice.

Nikushimi

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 947.00
I am thinking of creating a bow build for the fun of it. Mainly for use in PvE, but would like something decent enough in PvP.

I am on the edge about which bow to use.

I want to be able to shoot fast instead of taking forever so I was thinking between two bows.

Pharis Black Bow or Darkmoon Bow.

Now I know Darkmoon Bow has 16 FTH requirement while the Pharis only has DEX and STR requirements.

Do I need to have high FTH for the Darkmoon Bow to be good or can it be good on pure DEX? I plan on going all the DEX/VIT/END. Nothing else besides maybe, MAYBE some kind of spell or something as a sort of utility to help my bow. Like Poison Mist or maybe Heal (for when I'm in the forest and people want to heal, so will I). Anyways. What bow would be better?

My build will most likely start as a hunter and be extremely lightweight.

P.s. will be using a side arm as well for when my bow won't work. Short Sword/Rapier/Scimitar or something like that.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,368.04
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 459
The Black Bow is all about range. Not the greatest draw speed but you'll certainly win at PvE. Mainly because you can poison many enemies well outside of aggro range, or add feather arrows and/or Hawk Ring to hurt things from ludicrously far away.

The Compound Bow I believe is the common recommendation for PvP due to speed. It also would help with bosses as there's not very many that let you hang out from all that far away.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 12,270.00
Bank: 13,768.00
Wiki Edits: 82
Composite Bow or Short Bow, those have the fastest draw speed. Darkmoon is fast too but it works best on a Dex/Faith build (40 Dex/30 Fth). Its scaling is bad, so Occult Composite could actually be better, I can't remember. Pharis Bow is great for sniping in PvE, but it's too slow for PvP.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Nikushimi

Addicted
First Warden

skarekrow13 wrote:The Black Bow is all about range. Not the greatest draw speed but you'll certainly win at PvE. Mainly because you can poison many enemies well outside of aggro range, or add feather arrows and/or Hawk Ring to hurt things from ludicrously far away.

The Compound Bow I believe is the common recommendation for PvP due to speed. It also would help with bosses as there's not very many that let you hang out from all that far away.

Doesn't the compound bow though scale off both STR and DEX? I don't want to put anything into STR. This is a pure DEX build based on bows. Last I checked Compound bow was C/C scaling.

So then what about the Darkmoon? Does that scale off of faith or is it just not that good? Thanks in advance. I'm not upgrading anything yet until I know for sure what path I am going for.

Nikushimi

Addicted
First Warden

WyrmHero wrote:Composite Bow or Short Bow, those have the fastest draw speed. Darkmoon is fast too but it works best on a Dex/Faith build (40 Dex/30 Fth). Its scaling is bad, so Occult Composite could actually be better, I can't remember. Pharis Bow is great for sniping in PvE, but it's too slow for PvP.

So it does scale off of faith? I heard on certain places it didn't really scale from faith, but I could be wrong.

So short bow is best then? Composite bow is C/C isn't it? I don't want to put into STR at all.

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Nikushimi wrote:
WyrmHero wrote:Composite Bow or Short Bow, those have the fastest draw speed. Darkmoon is fast too but it works best on a Dex/Faith build (40 Dex/30 Fth). Its scaling is bad, so Occult Composite could actually be better, I can't remember. Pharis Bow is great for sniping in PvE, but it's too slow for PvP.

So it does scale off of faith? I heard on certain places it didn't really scale from faith, but I could be wrong.

So short bow is best then? Composite bow is C/C isn't it? I don't want to put into STR at all.

Yeah it does a bit, iirc Occult/Divine Composite would always outdamage it, but could work for certain builds.

Use Short Bow. If you really wanna have max damage output from it, buy a couple of them and upgrade to crystal +4. Also don't forget poison arrows!
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Nikushimi

Addicted
First Warden

WyrmHero wrote:
Nikushimi wrote:

Yeah it does a bit, iirc Occult/Divine Composite would always outdamage it, but could work for certain builds.

Use Short Bow. If you really wanna have max damage output from it, buy a couple of them and upgrade to crystal +4. Also don't forget poison arrows!

How much though? Enough to make a difference or not really? I might try it out once I get that far, but really trying to figure out what is best damage and speed wise.

I will be going to +15. No crystal or anything. I can't stand the low durability with no repair choice.

I will get poison once I get to her, but haven't gotten there yet.

Just trying based on fashion and function. Thanks for the reply.

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

On a 50 Fth build? By a lot. Remember that the Darkmoon Bow has D/D Dex/Fth scaling, while Occult/Divine Composite takes most of the C/C Str/Dex scaling and converts it to a single Fth scaling which is A or B. That with Moonlight Arrows and you got one of the strongest bows in game, with very high magic AR. With 30 Fth they could be similar, exact numbers I can't really remember. Darkmoon Bow looks sick though, and I remember one build I made that had one just because fashion souls.

I like the crystal option because you really had to work for it if you wanted max damage, if you don't use glitches of course. Some weapons were easy, just buy a couple of them, farm titanites from the Darkwraiths and upgrade them for max damage. But other weapons were more time consuming, like the BSS, which you had to farm first. I upgraded them to +4 so that I keep things fair and within the game's rules, since it would be impossible to have 10 crystal weapons at +5 without the use of glitches/file altering.

What backup melee weapon are you intending to use btw?

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 22,001.50
Wiki Edits: 19
I would go Pharis bow with 40 dex for PvE long range.

I would go Chaos Composite bow with minimum stregth requirement with fire arrow in PvP (or any variation with magic + moonligth arrows etc....)
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you once, but then I got a [dark souls] in the knee.
so...
A hoonter must hoont!

Nikushimi

Addicted
First Warden

WyrmHero wrote:On a 50 Fth build? By a lot. Remember that the Darkmoon Bow has D/D Dex/Fth scaling, while Occult/Divine Composite takes most of the C/C Str/Dex scaling and converts it to a single Fth scaling which is A or B. That with Moonlight Arrows and you got one of the strongest bows in game, with very high magic AR. With 30 Fth they could be similar, exact numbers I can't really remember. Darkmoon Bow looks sick though, and I remember one build I made that had one just because fashion souls.

I like the crystal option because you really had to work for it if you wanted max damage, if you don't use glitches of course. Some weapons were easy, just buy a couple of them, farm titanites from the Darkwraiths and upgrade them for max damage. But other weapons were more time consuming, like the BSS, which you had to farm first. I upgraded them to +4 so that I keep things fair and within the game's rules, since it would be impossible to have 10 crystal weapons at +5 without the use of glitches/file altering.

What backup melee weapon are you intending to use btw?

Not really wanting to go with FTH, but will if it might help me be more efficient for the Darmoon Bow. I am wondering how big a difference if I went 40-50 DEX and minimum of 14 FTH. Since this is a pure DEX build I probably won't use anything more than Poison and the best of regular arrows. I am definitely going for Fashion and Function.

My build so far is:

Balder Set (Minus the Helm. That thing is kinda hideous. On a side note I wish they had a non destroyed version of the armor T_T).

Right Hand: Long Bow (for better damage), Rapier.
Left Hand: Rapier (For parries and combos with the other rapier).

I will be using Ricards Rapier when I get to him in Sens Fortress though. That will be my backup melee weapon. Yes, it lacks poise damage, but the point of this build is to be fast.

Final build will look something like this:

VIT: 40-50
ATN: 9
END: 40-50
STR: 12
DEX: 40-50
RES: 11
INT: 9
FTH: 9-40/50 (if the FTH scaling is big for damage on the Darkmoon)

Set-
Head: Undecided yet.
Chest: Balder
Hands: Balder
Legs: Balder

Right Hand: Darkmoon/Pharis (If comp bow STR scaling isn't huge I might use Comp), Ricards Rapier
Left Hand: Rapier.

Ring 1: Hornet/Hawk
Ring 2: Hornet/Darkwood Grain Ring.

That's what I was thinking of when I was creating this build. Though the armor choice came in as a last minute change since it was originally going to be a mix of the Thieves armor or Wanderers. Also was thinking Painting Guardian stuff, but changed my mind.