For the PvP nuts! Debate tactics, discuss builds, and set up duels. Play nice.

Nikushimi

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 947.00
Hey there! Getting back into the game after being away from it for a LONG time, and I currently stuck on deciding a few things.

First things first. My build will in the end have the Claymore and the Dark Hand (used as a shield). I was thinking between the Longsword, Claymore, or Sunlight Straight Sword for aesthetic with the Dark Hand and or what would look better. This is also being a quality build. If you guys have opinions on which weapon to use and why, let me know.

Now, with my Claymore I will be using it 1 handed. Not 2 handed for the majority of my time in PvE and PvP (when I do PvP) and currently I am really low level.

I started off as a Deprived because 1. Better control over my stats. 2. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do yet. and 3. cause why not.

So, I got my STR up to 16 once I got the Claymore to 1 hand it and I have 20 END.

I have points to level up with, and I am going for damage. I am wondering, would it give me more damage to put into DEX or STR?

I know that the Claymore is a C/C weapon, but I also know that on some C/C weapons one can give more than the other. On the Claymore does STR or DEX give more? Would it be better to invest into DEX right now and finish with STR later on or should I level them equally at the same time?

I know you're probably like "It's a quality build. Make it equal." I will do that, but for right now before I get that far (As I want to start leveling END and VIT soon for stamina and health, I need damage and want to know which is more beneficial, or should I get to 20/20 and then start in on END and VIT?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks. ^_^

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 12,270.00
Bank: 13,768.00
Wiki Edits: 82
I think they're equal in this game but who knows. When leveling you can see which one has the most increase, just invest some points and check your AR. I'd increase them evenly, 1:1 till both are 40/40. But I'd increase them after I have decent enough Vit and End, like 40 Vit and 30 End. Aim for upgrading it as much as possible first.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Nikushimi

Addicted
First Warden

WyrmHero wrote:I think they're equal in this game but who knows. When leveling you can see which one has the most increase, just invest some points and check your AR. I'd increase them evenly, 1:1 till both are 40/40. But I'd increase them after I have decent enough Vit and End, like 40 Vit and 30 End. Aim for upgrading it as much as possible first.

Since I didn't get an answer I just upgraded them evenly, but there were times that DEX gave more and times that STR did. There were also times when they gave the same. Which is why I asked the question.

Currently trying to get it to +15, but can't find a Slab at all from these Wraiths, and I've never been good at the fight against the demon at the asylum because for some reason it tracks me crazy insane like so I can never stay behind it and it kills me almost instantly.

These wraiths need to drop them more often T_T I wish.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,906.50
Wiki Edits: 18
STR.

Reason being 2handing is a 50% str bonus, so in 2h 27 str is the same AR as 40 dex.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

Nikushimi

Addicted
First Warden

Forum_Pirate wrote:STR.

Reason being 2handing is a 50% str bonus, so in 2h 27 str is the same AR as 40 dex.

As stated I won't be two handing it a lot. I will be one handing it. So that bonus to the strength has no bearing on me unless I switch which will not be that often. Probably about 20% of the time using this weapon.

I did say that I read about having STR just enough to two hand it for the bonus, BUT I won't be using it two handed a lot.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

JohnnyHarpoon

Revived
Savior

Souls: 238.00
Bank: 16,110.50
Wiki Edits: 22

exactly this

in quality weapons, strength is always preferred even if the scaling is exactly the same, purely because of the two-handed strength bonus.

by that same token, throwing ~20 strength onto a build using a weapon that scales pure dex isn't a bad idea either as long as its two-handed move set is good.

basically, the only time you don't want at least 20 strength is if your build absolutely can't spare the points or if your weapon's two-handed moveset is terrible
"We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future."

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,906.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Nikushimi wrote:

As stated I won't be two handing it a lot. I will be one handing it. So that bonus to the strength has no bearing on me unless I switch which will not be that often. Probably about 20% of the time using this weapon.

I did say that I read about having STR just enough to two hand it for the bonus, BUT I won't be using it two handed a lot.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

You don't need to 2h much. The scaling is virtually identical for STR and dex which means STR will always be better because you have the option to 2h to make it stronger.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

Nikushimi

Addicted
First Warden

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I knew about the strength bonus, but since I wouldn't be 2handing it that wasn't too important to me and was purely wondering based on the one handed use of it.

I do appreciate the replies though ^_^ Thank you!