Hart

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 4,165.30
Bank: 14,387.00
Wiki Edits: 118
That undying loyalty.
That companionship wherever I go.
That responsibility over the well-being of another creature.
That happy face when I've had a shyt day.
That side-by-side evolution.

Even a man named Cat understands this fact
Watch on youtube.com

Dogs are awesome. I take mine wherever I go. Will likely spend my entire life with at least one dogbro.

ITT we appreciate the king of all beasts; Canis familiaris.
Make a list of the things that make you happy.
Make a list of the things you do every day.
Compare.
Adjust accordingly.

KrazykevS10

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 293.00
VIP

Thief

Caffeinated
Guardian

Best Bro of Pharis

Souls: 790.50
Wiki Edits: 37
As some in here probably have witnessed at this time, I'm really struggling with not having a dog anymore for some time now. We've had a family dog for as long as I can think off, and I got really used to my ex gf's dog, so right now, I'm fairly close to just driving to the next shelter and picking one up for myself again.

Why don't I? Cause frankly, I'm the model anti-dog-owner: I live in an apartment building, and while I'm surrounded by the most beautiful countryside, I am also never home. On the other hand, I often think "who is TRULY fit by-the-book for owning a dog those days, anyways?"

If I ever give in, I will probably just go to a shelter and pick up the one I click with... however, if I were one of those disgusting people picking them like toys from a catalogue, it would have to be an Australian Cattle Dog.

BECAUSE THEY LOOK LIKE AWESOME FOX HYENA WOLF DOGBROS
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
The correct answers are
because they are perpetually adorable and
because holy **** they're enormous, and very protective, and also adorable. It's like having a pet arcanine. except they don't breath fire. sadly.

Oh, that's not me, that's some random guy, i was illustrating how large the dogs are.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

Nahztek

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,875.00
Thief wrote:
If I ever give in, I will probably just go to a shelter and pick up the one I click with... however, if I were one of those disgusting people picking them like toys from a catalogue, it would have to be an Australian Cattle Dog.

if you plan on getting one that is just going to be put to sleep anyway, your empty apartment is still a better alternative. and I agree, picking a pure breed out of a catalogue is pretty shallow when considering all of the overcrowded shelters.

I haven't owned a dog in many years (almost 20, yikes) and I'm more of a cat person anyway, but I technically prefer animals over people, and a well-mannered dogs earns my respect pretty fast.

oh, and that huge beast is Forum_Pirate's picture is awesome.
"If history is to change, let it change.
If the world is to be destroyed, so be it.
If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh."
- The Prophet

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Not really, specific breeds have a strong tendancy towards specific personalities. Beagels are almost always high energy, playful (arguably mischievous,) friendly, intelligent, long lived (upwards of 20 years at times, even though that's not a personality trait.) If you're picking based on appearance sure, but there is more too it than that.

chows for example, make excellent family pets because they're incredibly protective and become increasingly xenophobic as they age, so if you're ok with not having strangers in your house at the same time as the dog, there are few animals I'd want guarding my family more as even without training they lean towards a 0 tolerance policy on strangers when full grown. IIRC at least some breeds don't bark or growl at all, so an intruder will get little if any warning. None of these things are garunteed, but it's a strong tendancy in purebloods where there are a lot more variables in mutts.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

Nevis_Ysbrid

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 604.00
Bank: 5,571.00
I'll be the first one to post here that isn't a dog person. Whee!!!~<3
I am the Grey that shall become Red, the Ysbrid that shall become the Ddraig, the cloud and lightning. Red aether art I, the Heaven/Venom of Ben Nevis.

Here's our Nodiatus Test thread. Come tell us what you are!

Hart

Insomniac
Sinner

Forum_Pirate wrote:Not really, specific breeds have a strong tendancy towards specific personalities. Beagels are almost always high energy, playful (arguably mischievous,) friendly, intelligent, long lived (upwards of 20 years at times, even though that's not a personality trait.) If you're picking based on appearance sure, but there is more too it than that.

Almost my exact thoughts. IMO both mixed and intentionally bred (not necessarily 'pure' bred, just purposefully bred) have their pros and cons.
As far as I'm aware, specifically bred dogs tend to have a more reliable disposition, and you can to an extent be confident that you know what to expect from them as they grow up. The downside being the possibility of them having health issues due to inbreeding and breeders focusing on their appearance at the cost of the animals health, but I'd also argue that can be mitigated by doing a bit of research on a persons history and just checking out their animals.
Mixes on the other hand have less health problems overall (dat hybrid vigour yo. Mongrel masterace represent!) but you can never be certain about their personality. While adopting a mix from a shelter might seem nicer, I have known people who did this and then ended up returning him after he grew up and they couldn't handle how boisterous he turned out to be.
I'm no expert but being abandoned twice in your life seems like it'd just lead to more stress and more problems for the animal. While it's not the sole determining factor, I think the instability of mixed breeds can contribute to this.

In the end so long as you look after your dog (or cat, horse, beaver w/e) and actually treat it like it was a family member and not just some accessory to show off, I could care less whether it was bought, rescued, a mutt or a purebreed.

Puppy farming is cancerous though.

FWIW: My dog is a pure breed from a working line that I got from the SPCA. I no doubt went ogrekill above cause I've had SJWs give me grief over the fact he's purebreed.

On a happier note...
Is that pic you posted a Tibetan Mastiff? I'd love to get a stock-guardian type if I ever have kids. They're awesome.
Compare.
Adjust accordingly.

Hart

Insomniac
Sinner

Thief wrote:Image
BECAUSE THEY LOOK LIKE AWESOME FOX HYENA WOLF DOGBROS

Double post of peace.

I can confirm Aussie dogs make great dogbros. I have a Kelpie which is a Dingo x Border Collie. Two of my friends each have Heelers and they are also awesome.
>dat smile
If I didn't know better I'd swear they had bogan genetics...
Compare.
Adjust accordingly.
VIP

Thief

Caffeinated
Guardian

Best Bro of Pharis

Souls: 790.50
Wiki Edits: 37
Hart wrote:
Forum_Pirate wrote:...

Yeah but none of the things you guys mentioned sound nearly as irresponsible as actually picking them because of looks. I don't doubt that there are reasons to pick a certain breed, but let's not kid ourselves, the majority of people I know who bought expensive purebred dogs, did it because of "I want one of those".
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon