Discuss Bloodborne news, observations, wishes and experiences.

DE5PA1R

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 483.00
Wiki Edits: 2
Sup Fexers. Anyone up for some possible early deep-diving into Bloodborne's lore?

If you've seen the latest gameplay vids, you may remember a hammer-sword combo. From what I understand this is called the "Church Hammer" (rough translation).

Turns out there are some interesting symbols on that hammer. High-def concept art:

(source: http://i.imgur.com/IdFcpZh.jpg)

After some research, it appears these may be a combination of Anglo-Saxon and Futhark runes depicting Romanji words. As you can see in the image, this is two lines repeated several times, with one section missing.

The reason this would appear to be Romanji is the first three letters of the second line - ike - meaning "to go." Considering Miyazaki's back at the helm - and the pains that were taken to deliver a very high-definition image of this concept art - I don't think this is a coincidence.

If you're interested in helping, here's what I can make of the second line:

i k e ? ? a d ? ? k e h o ? a d ? ?

The question marks are made up. It's possible but not necessarily true that the question marks are q, t v and/or z because those aren't accounted for in runes.

So far I've been using the following sites to help with the runes:
http://ansax.com/futhorc-anglo-saxon-runes/
http://www.vikingrune.com/2008/11/young ... ark-runes/
http://www.vikingrune.com/2008/11/elder-futhark-runes/

Anybody want to take a stab at translating?
Last edited by DE5PA1R on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,509.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
The Sword in the Stone worked into one badass weapon combo?

Not sure I can help with translation much but this is brimming with some interesting imagery.

Edit: We haven't seen much yet but that sword is the first weapon I've seen that I would call "elegant."

Intriguing
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Mephistophea

Souls: 106.00
Wiki Edits: 7
I see, few years back we were solving runes at monolith forest, 4-3 in Demon's Souls. Just one look at the runes on the hammer and I am pretty sure they look very similar if not the same.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,509.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
I forgot to mention that the groove cut into the main hammer piece suggests a possible third form or use for the weapon. Almost like the stone handle/scabbard piece could fold into the rock.

My official guess is that maybe the scabbard folds into the slab to look more compact on the back or something while the weapon is in short form (aka "the sword").

On topic, we also looked at writing in a couple spots in the catacombs and of course Artorias' grave. Might need to take a look see at those again...
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 24,093.50
Wiki Edits: 26
this is certainly the most gorgeous sword I have seen in any of the souls games yet apart from Artorias' :cheers:
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!

Ghastly

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 948.00
Wiki Edits: 2
I don't care what it says, all I know is Miyazaki made me buy this game just by adding hammers again. *salutes all the Souls hammer people*

That's a sexy hammer, all beat up and rugged how it should be :D