Discuss Bloodborne and Yharnam lore, theories, beasts and the secrets of the land.

JudasBlitzkrieg

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 6,955.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 231
Hi all

I created a Lore page in the wiki based off the gamescom trailer but I thought it would be pretty good to get some debate going over the Lore we know so far. So i'll start, here's the page:

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Theory

Embedded at the bottom is a video where I discuss things further.

What do you all think? Do you agree? Do you disagree? Let's see what people think
Check out my YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGadgetAddicts

Check out my Dark Souls 3 Walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... moP2TORJLH

Clovin64

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 583.00
Some nice ideas on your page there!

I definitely think "Night" is going to be important, but I think I've seen screenshots somewhere before of daytime combat, so I don't think day will be too peaceful. You might be on to something with the werewolves though. If Lycanthropy plays a major role in the lore or gameplay, then maybe "Project Beast" was a reference to this?

I think its interesting that the trailer mentions the "Hunters" as in the plural. Your protagonist looks like a hunter, so could this be an indication of co-op or multiplayer? Several "Hunters" can come together at night to fight against even more vicious foes?
Or maybe you are the one being hunted by other players, and night time is when Invasions can happen?

I definitely think blood is going to be very important. Maybe it can be used as currency like souls were before? Blood seems to carry the plague in the game, but maybe your character can use blood to stave off the effects of the plague? Or maybe the plague makes him/her stronger? I'm just speculting wildly now.

I'm curious as to how the plague began in the first place. Some screenshots show what looks like laboratory areas, so maybe the plague was created through some kind of experiments? Along with the prescence of guns, this could indicate a slightly more technologically advanced setting than the Souls games.
Of course the lab experiments could also be trying to cure the plague naturally.

SlothAlmighty

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 57.00
Bank: 2,954.50
Wiki Edits: 7
okay, so my theory based on intuition and playing past souls titles.

Beast/human will replace Hollow/Human

blood will replace estus.

you drink blood the heal, but the more you do, the more beast-like you become

Pure blood will replace humanity.

pure blood will likely be found as treasure and/or acquired by defeating human players.

night will be when 'invasions' happen.

humans hunt beast form players and beasts hunt the humans to obtain pure blood and turn back into a human.

olavrell

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 5,527.00
I don't think this is very likely, but I really hope that beastform really turns you into a beast of some kind, with an actual gameplay-effect outside of just looking worse and loss of HP.
If you type google into google, you may break the internet.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

JudasBlitzkrieg

Insomniac
Sinner

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

the 2014 Gamescom Trade Show, From Software showed the first official gameplay trailer which gave hints towards some of the Lore in the Bloodborne. The trailer opens with a long shot of Yharnam and a hint of what appears to be a large, wolf like creature, assumed at this point to be one of the game's bosses. The scene cuts to a shot of a table, with an old man sitting in a chair facing away from us. A voice says: Dear Friend, take heed The blood is foul And when night falls The hunters return This dialogue is very important. ...

VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,409.54
Wiki Edits: 460
I merged the blog into your discussion to keep the conversation going. Praise the Fex for editing and scheduling.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 385,876.49
Bank: 9,234.71
Wiki Edits: 32897
Yay for lore theories! I'll be sending this out on social soon :D

Also thinking I should add this to my official thread at PS forums \0/
Fextralife: Gaming News ⚔️ Sekiro Wiki ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 24,169.50
Wiki Edits: 26
olavrell wrote:I don't think this is very likely, but I really hope that beastform really turns you into a beast of some kind, with an actual gameplay-effect outside of just looking worse and loss of HP.

I am sure Miyasaki had enough time to refine his approach that we should trust he came up with something nice...
did you guys play aliens vs predators on PC? do you remember the thrill of playing an alien: the changed vision field, the speed, the ability to climb to anything etc?...I bet there will be something along those lines in beast form.
This seems to be were the multiplayer is heading somehow, proof being the Evolve new IP where one player plays as a titanic monster while others try to hunt him down. I bet you will have a whole new set of tools and abilities and controls in beast form, with probably some stealth elements etc...
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!

JudasBlitzkrieg

Insomniac
Sinner

SlothAlmighty wrote:okay, so my theory based on intuition and playing past souls titles.

blood will replace estus.

you drink blood the heal, but the more you do, the more beast-like you become

Pure blood will replace humanity.

pure blood will likely be found as treasure and/or acquired by defeating human players.

I have a feeling that those ideas will be concatenated into one. I think pure blood will be your estus equivalent. The purity holding back the infection. Or some way immunising the infection.

I like the idea of the player character having a beast quality to them. potentially even becoming a beast under certain circumstances. But only if it was handled very carefully and wasn't done in some kind of OTT Bayonetta style

Clovin64

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 583.00
A monstrous "Beast" form could be quite interesting gameplay wise, and it would no doubt give the game a very different feel from the Souls games.
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were all about tight, precise and careful combat, so tearing people apart with brute speed and strength would be a major change of pace. Of course to keep things balanced, Beast form would have to have some form of exploitable weakness or disadvantage when fighting against human players.

I previously speculated that lab experiments could have created the plague, but a lot of screenshots and footage ahow the protagonist exploring areas like churches, cathedrals, graveyards, catacombs etc. This could mean that religion, or demon worshipping cults could play a role in the lore? Maybe I've been playing too much Final Fantasy VI, but it would be cool if there was some kind of technology/industrialisation vs ancient magic theme going on.

On the subject of demon worship, is it possible that cultism could play a role? Maybe the sinister chap in the wheelchair is some kind of cult member who rallies the infected townsfolk together? Maybe your character is targeted by the cult? I know this all sounds a bit Resident Evil 4, but I get a huge Resi 4 vibe from the previews I've read so far.