For the PvP nuts! Debate tactics, discuss builds, and set up duels. Play nice.

Snakes-and-Arrows

Souls: 40.00
I have spent a few months playing this game, and I must say the PVE aspect of it is quite fun. The PVP, however, is not. Now, I don't necessarily hate it because I suck at it (if I hated dying in this game that much, I'd have quit playing after reaching the Taurus Demon on my first playthrough). I hate it because 90% of the enemy players I've been invaded by or have fought in duels act like complete jerks, constantly being **** about winning and constantly abusing broken game mechanics (like trying to lure me into enemies even when dueling in PVP hotspots) to win.

With all of that said, my question is this: Why am I even trying? I love this game, and have made a genuine effort to participate in and enjoy everything it has to offer. But how can I want to be part of a community when its members repeatedly spit in my face? Why don't I just give up and play in offline mode forever?

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 12,270.00
Bank: 16,634.00
Wiki Edits: 82
The community has gone to DkS2. Thanks to P2P matmaking system, you are now facing the remnants of its PvP game. You are facing people all over the world with different cultures, that could care less about honor in a game that no one plays anymore.

Even if they bow back, expect anything when fighting. I don't even know if the Burg or Oolacile Township are active atm, but last time I played DkS1 those 2 were the places where you could have proper duels. Try searching in those areas for RSS. The meta SL was 100 and 120.

When I got back to DkS1 a month ago I just invaded in the forest to get a feel of the bad PvP again. I say bad cause it's backstab land. You either get good at doing this or just don't play PvP at all. It's a sad truth.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Saturday-Saint

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 312.06
Just because you are in a PvP hotspot does not guarantee you will run into people who want to duel. It's not like duelists can lock out all people who just want to do random invasions. So

WyrmHero wrote:expect anything when fighting.

And

WyrmHero wrote:You either get good at [backstabs] or just don't play PvP at all.

Quoted for emphasis. Backstabs are the axis about which Dark Souls PvP turns.
chromatic~

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Thanks for that Saint. Glad to see you're still around here. :thumbs up:
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Caciowskij

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,808.00
Why are you even trying? I can't see a reason to PvP in Ds1 anymore. Back in the days I thought it was great and that nothing could compare to it, now everytime I try to get back I see how ridicolous it was.
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there.

Snakes-and-Arrows

Judging by the responses here, I'm guessing my options are either "git gud" or get out. Any suggestions as to the best possible way to do the former?

WyrmHero

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

I never learned to roll backstab. Never was a fan of untoggled combat. What I did was learn to counter-bs by counter strafing a bs fisher and trying to bs him instead. Sometimes he gets backstabbed by me and other times the bs damage was neglected. It's a matter of getting used to the lag really.

I also suggest you always have a spear as your backup weapon. It's the best weapon type in game.

HammerBro

Addicted
First Warden

Bank: 2,592.00
The only reason i sometimes prefer dark souls 1 pvp is that i can beat gankers and have a chance of winning

Nevis_Ysbrid

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 604.00
Bank: 5,094.00
The responses here are terrible.

Far from 'no one' plays this game anymore. That said, there is a pretty high percentage of players who are nasty as compared to before.

To get better, do some research online. Watch some instructional videos on youtube and test stuff out.

As for how to act-I play according to my own sense of eticitte until the give me reason to think otherwise (I don't heal until they do unless they're just being so nasty that I don't care, they summon someone, they run to enemies, etc). That said, I almost never bow and only buff and such from a long distance away when I enter in case they're not. If they bow, I usually just stand there until their animation is done-not taking advantage of it, yet neither opening myself up in case it's a trap.
As for gankers... go for backstabs, run, or jump off a cliff to deny them the kill. Depending on how they're doing it, there's only so much you can do about that.
I am the Grey that shall become Red, the Ysbrid that shall become the Ddraig, the cloud and lightning. Red aether art I, the Heaven/Venom of Ben Nevis.

Here's our Nodiatus Test thread. Come tell us what you are!

then_daryl_said

Souls: 65.00
In the forest I have used the MOBS to my advantage a few times, but only against gank squads. Yesterday I invaded a duo who had yet to clear the AI Assassin, Bandit and Cleric. It was awesome getting them to run over to kill me only to have the AI assassin back-stab the one guy while i whittled away at the other (with help from the Bandit AI) The cleric was off healing himself somewhere.

I also kept invading this dude who absolutely STOMPED me over and over. At one point i had 5 demonic foliages' chasing him, he still killed me and all of the MOBS. Guy was pretty damn hard to kill (I was out of Lloyd's, and of course if i ever got the best of him he healed, so i was popping humanities like skittles)

I don't go for back-stabs either, and i don't really parry. I was only parried twice yesterday and i was mostly back-stabbed by gankers. I gotta tell ya it's annoying as hell to see gankers celebrating when they kill you and even worse getting on the "Indicted" list when you finally manage to kill one.