Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

SilentSoul

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 834.00
Wiki Edits: 3
What are your thoughts on the conception/origin of Priscilla? I am already well aware of all the theories that are out there for this one, but I just wanted to see what you think about it as a fellow DKS 1 player.
Video games, anime, cooking, movies and Souls.

CakeThiefPro

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 1,700.00
SilentSoul wrote:What are your thoughts on the conception/origin of Priscilla? I am already well aware of all the theories that are out there for this one, but I just wanted to see what you think about it as a fellow DKS 1 player.

This is a difficult one because I haven't explored the full implications of Dk2 lore but for a very long time I assumed she was at least somewhat based on Dusk. If you look at the art book it almost looks like Seaths lower chest area has a sort of pod and I imagined Priscilla was developed in there (like a womb with some dna/soul of Dusk?) or that she was simply an experiment based on Dusk. Originally I thought Seath was trying to save Dusk from Manus but a Hydra (out of revenge for his betrayal) prevented him from completely saving her. I also think this may have been why Seath went mad as he was searching for a way to make Dusk immortal and not just himself as he had already achieved that to some extent.

Whether Priscilla is something they worked on together or perhaps a twisted attempt to recreate Dusk is unclear to me. Her connection to Seath is pretty obvious but her ability to manipulate light magic and Seaths garden is what sold me on the 3 way connection. She also appears to be kind and friendly but has a dark side to her considering her past and the weapon she wields, a bit like Dusk. The Gods locked her away out of fear so perhaps Seath was already slightly mad when she was a child or simply saw her as a constant reminder of his failure and grew bitter. Either way she's a very interesting character and I know FROM considered making her the main heroine of Dk1 but couldn't get it to work so I can only dream of the plans they had for her.

tyrone8769

Souls: 155.00
What is the purpose of the bonfires to the Lords?

CakeThiefPro

Obsessed
Commander

tyrone8769 wrote:What is the purpose of the bonfires to the Lords?

Ok this was longer than I planned so the last line is a very basic summary if you don't have time to read it all.

The bonfires are annoying because they're an essential game mechanic and therefore the lore surrounding them can be a little inconsistent. Their main purpose is to act as a giant furnace for the dark soul. Undead travel to Lordran and effectively destroy the Dark Soul by burning it in return for estus which like humanity heals them. Some people speculate that the bonfires are all linked to the Kiln of the First Flame and fuel it but I doubt this considering there would be no need for us to sacrafice all the souls we gained to link it.

I've always assumed Firekeepers were ordered to keep areas likely to attract undead lit up to increase the amount of humanity burnt. For example most undead end up at Firelink and then Anor Londo due to the guidance of Frampt although again this could just be a way to help players.

It's difficult to know if all of the Lords agreed to this or not because bonfires are needed throughout the world for the game to function properly. Similarly we don't know when the idea first originated. It's possible that it started in Oolacile if that was the first outbreak of the Dark Soul and undead which is likely considering the Father of the Abyss resides there although we don't actually know if Manus had previously split the Dark Soul and dispersed it or if his death/destruction was what originally unleashed the Dark Soul. Either way it would make sense for this to be the place bonfires were first established either by Artorias or possibly Chester considering he is very knowledgable and suspected of being Earl Arstor of Carim. There's nothing proving this whatsoever and Lautrec is just as likely as being him, however, I like to consider every possibility.

As for how the bonfires were set up. Gwyn could cover most of Lordran with his knights etc. Nito was probably working with Gwyn because Leeroy who we know is a Paladin of the Way of White helps us defeat Pinwheel (Nito's enemy) but then protects Nito. We also find his armour within Nito's arena which, aside from being a boss fight room, is also a covenant location much like Kirk and the Fair Lady. I suppose it's possible Gwyn established the bonfires in Izalith during the war with the Chaos Demons. I think Havel is the only one who could have created the bonfires in Ash Lake possibly so that his followers could use the weapons of the dragons to defeat Gwyn as part of his rebellion.

It's quite interesting that Gwyn probably knew about the plan to make undead travel towards the First Flame before he died/hollowed. What I mean by this is that it is probably his soul or some form of magic cast by him that prevents you from progressing towards the 3 Lord Souls (with Seath filling in for Gwyn). You are only granted access once you place the Lord Vessel before the gate meaning that with Frampts guidance/manipulation the undead is probably going to use the souls to relink the flame. This means that aside from being used to burn humanity, bonfires were also a useful tool to help the undead reach the Kiln. Unless you want to do a no death play-through on your very first attempt at least.

Sorry if this was too long. Basically the bonfires were used to destroy the Dark Soul and help the undead reach the Kiln of the First Flame. If I didn't answer correctly feel free to ask for a picture ^^

PlayerSlayer120

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,261.00
Bank: 0.00
What did gwyn leave with on his departure to link the flame and why did he take them?

PlayerSlayer120

Obsessed
Commander

Who is the exiled son of gwyn, and why was he exiled?

PlayerSlayer120

Obsessed
Commander

What is the meaning of Gwyn's boss fight music?

CakeThiefPro

Obsessed
Commander

PlayerSlayer120 wrote:What did gwyn leave with on his departure to link the flame and why did he take them?

Gwyn took his Silver/Black Knights on his way to link the flame. I think Gwyn divided his soul amongst his children/followers before leaving which means they were probably already Black Knights (Also, did the First Born get a piece? Where did it go? Is it in the Statue? I'm just saying...). Having lost one of his most valuable allies against the Dark (The Witch) and having lost a lot of knights in the war against the Chaos Demons, which he ultimately lost, I think Gwyn knew he was near his end. If he could no longer defeat demons (let alone dragons, which I actually think the Demons are a poor imitation of) then he certainly couldn't defeat beasts from the abyss or an army of undead. I think he decided to do the only thing he could and sacrifice himself to preserve the age of fire. The knights may have gone with him out of a sense of duty and respect for Gwyn after having survived one last battle together and decided they were ready to die as well.

Another possibility is that they were needed to get to the Kiln. We don't know if the Kiln was inhabited before Gwyn arrived and ultimately blew it up but there are structures there. It's possible the undead curse or some other demon had already inhabited the area and the knights were needed to clear a path to the First Flame.

A third and final theory is that Gwyn left them to make sure that only someone worthy would face him. Perhaps he didn't know they'd hollow and they were meant to make sure our intentions were to link the flame and not start an age of dark. I think Gwyn knew that he would be sealed away with the power of the Lord Vessel and that he was actually aware of the plan to get the undead to link the flame once his soul had completely burnt out. I think this because I believe it is a part of his soul that prevents us from claiming the Lord Souls until the Lord Vessel has been placed and draws his blockade away. He probably worked with Frampt and trusted him to manipulate us onto the right path.

PlayerSlayer120 wrote:Who is the exiled son of gwyn, and why was he exiled?

This is an interesting question. I assume you're referring to the First Born who lost his deific status although Gwyndolin was also exiled in a different way. I mean he was left behind by the surviving Gods to ensure that an undead willing to link the flame received the Lord Vessel.

As for the Firstborn, officially he was exiled for losing the anals. There is certainly a lot of Dark Souls history I'd like to read about and if he lost the records of the war, the abyss, the finding of the first flame etc. Then I understand why some people might be pissed off. There are a lot of other theories as to why he was exiled which involve betrayal and plots. Havel still rebelled for an unknown reason, Velka still has active bishops but is missing herself and I still think that the Black Smith deity was executed by Smough. We also have at least 8 (or possibly 10?) serpents that love to meddle in the affairs of undead and Gods so precisely why he was exiled is open for debate. Personally I always got a very strong Thor and Loki vibe from the two brothers but there's no evidence to suggest Gwyndolin plotted against his brother.

As for who he is. Some people believe it was going to be Andre of Astora. Aside from being damn strong and looking a bit like Gwyn (old...) he also has a love of weapons just as the God of War would have. He also has a line about weapons never betraying you which may or may not be a reference to his brother/the Gods betraying him as the first born son. Finally, there was some unused concept art of him opening a secret passage that people speculated led to the Kiln of the First Flame. I can't remember if this was confirmed in an interview but the Kiln isn't actually below Fire Link Shrine in game. The beam of light from the Lord Vessel confirms that it is meant to be but that it couldn't be done in-game which may be why the passage way wasn't possible.

The second candidate is Solaire. He is the only known member of the Sunlight Covenant despite the statue surviving for thousands of years. His armour references how he has no special powers which people interpreted as a nod to having his powers revoked whilst being the First Born. He is searching for his own Sun which may be a reference to his lost inheritance considering it is possible to summon him for the final fight against Gwyn. There was also a line about the First Born watching over his followers although this could also apply to Andre. The guy also decided to tell us his name was literally "Sun" so there's that.

My personal favourite is that the First Borns soul was locked away in the destroyed statue of himself. This is why the statue has the power to grant us his miracles and later the weapons of Solaire (the original champion). Every other covenant has a living leader to give us the rewards and it's a little weird that a statue can grant us the most powerful miracle ever created, provided we offer the appropriate soul (luckily the statue and Blacksmith don't ask us where we got it from...). I also like this because in Dark Souls power/deific status come from the souls you posses. I don't know how you could take someone's power without killing them or them willingly sacrificing it. I never liked the idea of the God of War giving up his inheritance to anyone although it is possible. Still I prefer the idea that Seath/Velka/Gwyndolin came up with the idea of sealing his soul in a statue. Considering the Gods could make paintings that opened portals to other lands/dimensions, it doesn't seem impossible.

The First Born could also be Ornstein due to his Spear and general position although I never bought this theory. It seems about as likely as the corpse with the Ring of the Firstborn on it being him.

Finally, I have no idea what Gwyns boss music represents so I owe you a drawing even if all of this is accurate but I would really appreciate an explanation :)

PlayerSlayer120

Obsessed
Commander

Listen to it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal closely.It sounds of sadness in what you have to do in the fight. It also represents a means to an end. But you know that this is it.

PlayerSlayer120

Obsessed
Commander

It fits the criteria of mellow, and fighting music. Its one of 'ma favorites. :D