Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

ChizFreak

Revived
Savior

Souls: 725.00
Wiki Edits: 20
I read that elemental bows (i.e Fire bow) need special arrows. Arrows that share their properties, so for bows, you can only use fire arrows or moonlight arrows, so you can upgrade to fire/chaos or Divine/occult and maybe magic/enchanted. But I recently tested this, and saw no big diference in the damage output.

Fire Pharis +5: Does 117-119 damage to Hollow soldiers in undead church with standard arrows.

Fire Pharis +5 WITH Fire arrows: Does 157-159 Damage to the same enemies.

As you can see, there are only 40 points of damage more with fire arrows.

Now Standard arrows do 45 phys damage, and fire arrows do 35 phys damage and 50 fire damage, so

85 - 45 = 40 more damage.

That means that Fire bow only does more damage with fire arrows because the ARROWS DO MORE DAMAGE. Not because when you use fire arrows, the fire damage that the bow does applies.

Fire Pharis +5 damage shown in the stats with arrows (start menu):

299 damge with fire arrows
259 damage with standard arrows.
214 damage without arrows

Anyone tested this and saw a big difference using other arrows?

Here are Fire Pharis bow +5 stats:
107 Phys damg
107 Fire damg
=
214 damage

So in theory, this bow should do:

With standard arrows:
107 phys damage +45 phys damage from standard arrows = 152 phys damage

OR

With Fire Arrows

107 Phys damage +35 phys damage from fire arrows
and 107 Fire damage +50 fire damage from fire arrows = 299 damage (142 phys and 157 fire)

So anyone can help me here? Why does my bow do some much low damage? I thought that upgrading a bow to fire give it more damage but it seems that only phys damage applies? Anyway I can make the fire damage of my bow work?
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Adun Toridas.

Scudman_Slayer

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 0.00
just get it to 15+ normally if you can bows suck being elemental if you ask me

Wade_Wilson

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 5.00
Keep black bow of pharis at +15. Trust me, the S scaling in dexterity is unbelievable. Even at 30 dexterity Im getting + 380 damage bonus from scaling alone.

ChizFreak

Revived
Savior

Wade_Wilson wrote:Keep black bow of pharis at +15. Trust me, the S scaling in dexterity is unbelievable. Even at 30 dexterity Im getting + 380 damage bonus from scaling alone.

Thanks for the tip, that's a lot of damage, but I'm trying to make work the fire damage my bow has. Let's focus in that.
Adun Toridas.

ChizFreak

Revived
Savior

bump* someone has to know how does this work.....
Adun Toridas.

aceluby

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 3,131.00
Upgrading bows to elemental/divine/magic only effects the bows damage (R2), not the arrows it shoots. In fact, due to the removal of scaling, it will usually result in LESS damage to upgrade them along one of these paths.

ChizFreak

Revived
Savior

aceluby wrote:Upgrading bows to elemental/divine/magic only effects the bows damage (R2), not the arrows it shoots. In fact, due to the removal of scaling, it will usually result in LESS damage to upgrade them along one of these paths.

Bows can't attack in anyway if not shooting arrows. Pressing R2/L2 will only change the type of arrows you're going to shoot. Pressing L1 zooms. Pressing R1 shoots. If you one hand it, pressing R2/L2 will change arrows too.
Adun Toridas.

meridam99

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 0.00
aceluby wrote:Upgrading bows to elemental/divine/magic only effects the bows damage (R2), not the arrows it shoots. In fact, due to the removal of scaling, it will usually result in LESS damage to upgrade them along one of these paths.

Bump

aceluby

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 3,131.00
ChizFreak wrote:

Bows can't attack in anyway if not shooting arrows. Pressing R2/L2 will only change the type of arrows you're going to shoot. Pressing L1 zooms. Pressing R1 shoots. If you one hand it, pressing R2/L2 will change arrows too.

You are correct. I also read that divine bows do kill the skeletons in the catacombs, however I don't think it adds any damage. It's hard to verify since it definitely doesn't give any visual indication. I'll give it a go when I get home to see if a lightning bow does less damage than a lightning +1. I don't think it does.

ChizFreak

Revived
Savior

aceluby wrote:
ChizFreak wrote:

You are correct. I also read that divine bows do kill the skeletons in the catacombs, however I don't think it adds any damage. It's hard to verify since it definitely doesn't give any visual indication. I'll give it a go when I get home to see if a lightning bow does less damage than a lightning +1. I don't think it does.

It will probably do more damage because when you upgrade it to +1 lighting, the phys damage also raises, not only the lighting damage.
Adun Toridas.