Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!
By ErrJon6661
Original thread here:
t31410/i-had-this-pretty-epic-dark-souls-related-idea/

Myself and a few other forum members are currently working on created a Dark Souls themed turn play SNES style RPG game. The project is currently in the Pre Production stage; right now the story is being created. We will need help else this project may take quite a while to finish. Specifically at the moment we will need help creating the graphics for the game. The spoilers below contain information about the various aspects of the game, as well as some teasers for those not involved directly in the production. The game will be available for free once it is finished . I will continue to update this post as more information is available.

Setting and Story
► Show Spoiler
Graphics
► Show Spoiler
Items
► Show Spoiler
Gameplay
► Show Spoiler
Combat and Enemies
► Show Spoiler
How can I help?
► Show Spoiler
Distribution
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by ErrJon6661 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
By Superdude100001
Dude. Send a message to Nevis Ysbrid. Talk to him. We've got a Dark Souls RPG going on. Talk to him, man. Seriously.
By ErrJon6661
Superdude100001 wrote:Dude. Send a message to Nevis Ysbrid. Talk to him. We've got a Dark Souls RPG going on. Talk to him, man. Seriously.
I sent him a message, I'm thinking if everything lines up we can merge projects haha.
By Nevis_Ysbrid
Posts Avatar
Do not speak the Lord's name in vain. Well, I suppose it's alright to say the Twilight Lord's name in vain~<3

What I've been working on has been a forum text-based rpg, not a video game-though I have thought about and wanted to work on one before. At the moment, I don't have a computer I can download anything on (I'm already working on that, though) and my programming skills and knowledge are fairly low, so I doubt I'll be much help on the code and such aspects.

I can certainly offer myself regarding concepts, systems and content and story, though. I draw a lot-mostly concept art, thus I can aid in that/perform that aspect as well.

Some points:

I greatly dislike class-based systems and turn-based combat (more so the former). One thing that I really liked about Demon's and Dark was how unimportant that classes (mostly) were in the long run. As for combat, for this type of game, I always preferred the Zelda style of combat.

Relying on buffing can be dangerous because the pure melee classes really shouldn't have any magic to cast buffs, so that should only be factored in so much.
By ErrJon6661
Just an update for everyone I worked in the engine a bit today and the game has the potential to be good haha. The engine has a lot of options as far as combat and map making go so its looking optimistic. I could really use the help of a real artist once we get into the production phase. Preferably someone who likes making animated sprites and has some good pixel art skills.
By WyrmHero
Posts Posts Avatar
I love the concept. I can help with stats and classes.

The simple way is to have the DkS1 classes. Should include the hexer class if including hexes. If you're doing it the FF way, each class can use any weapon as long as it has the requirements. But each class should have a unique talent. As I suggested in the other thread.

Stats should be like the ones in DkS1, they are the most simple and easier to understand. Res can finally have a meaning if you add a bonus to it lol.

Don't know if you're going to do it party based combat. If it's game over you return to bonfire.
By HowDoIPickName_
Posts Avatar
WyrmHero wrote:I love the concept. I can help with stats and classes.

The simple way is to have the DkS1 classes. Should include the hexer class if including hexes. If you're doing it the FF way, each class can use any weapon as long as it has the requirements. But each class should have a unique talent. As I suggested in the other thread.

Stats should be like the ones in DkS1, they are the most simple and easier to understand. Res can finally have a meaning if you add a bonus to it lol.

Don't know if you're going to do it party based combat. If it's game over you return to bonfire.
Unique talent? What sort of thing do you mean by that? Also, what would the Deprived's talent be?

Also, has a plot or setting emerged yet, OP?
By ErrJon6661
WyrmHero wrote:I love the concept. I can help with stats and classes.

I would love your help. I'm not going to post too much on here but go ahead and send me a message and I can fill you in on whats going on and get you started. The game is leaning towards using some more traditional RPG classes and level up system, but it will all still be from the dark souls world.
HowDoIPickName? wrote: Unique talent? What sort of thing do you mean by that? Also, what would the Deprived's talent be?

Also, has a plot or setting emerged yet, OP?
A plot and setting are currently being worked on, nothing is final yet so I don't want to say too much. I will keep updating the original post on this thread as these things are made concrete.
By Jesseisabeastt
I could help out with story, combat, weapons, skills. Anything along those lines, i have over 1500 hours put into different fire emblem games, which are extremely popular and even skme as final fantasy tactics. Ive learned alot from these and definately have some opinions and great ideas from numerous hours on turn based rpgs. Ive also learned what fans like in these games and have spent plenty of time on their forums also. PM Me if youre interested in my help, if not thanks for your time. And goodluck on the project.
By Elite_Knight
Posts Avatar
Is this still happening? If so, I'd like to help out any way I can. I've played around with RPG Maker, so I've got a general grasp of how programs like that work, although my skills are still very novice, admittedly. Aside from that, I do well in the field of writing, so I could take a hand in crafting the story if that would be at all possible.

:00020:
:cheers: