I'm thinking of a team with Aveline, Isabela, and Sebastian.  I want to play on Hard.  Have you gone without a mage before?

I usually stop playing after I kill the Ogre lately, ha ha.

I'm thinking of a team with Aveline, Isabela, and Sebastian.  I want to play on Hard.  Have you gone without a mage before?

I usually stop playing after I kill the Ogre lately, ha ha.

It's certainly possible to do DA2 without one but you will need to recruit one though because you need Andres at the vrey least in order to get the map for the Deep roads expedition in Act 1. You don't necessarily have to use him though.Personally no I've not played without one but then I tend to use at least 1 of everything on all 3 games at various stages. As to what and when though depends on the mission.

ArcadiaGrey

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 50.00

I do that all the time for RP reasons, I even contemplated doing MOTA with Varric and Isabela until I realised Tallis and Hawke were both rogues as well, so I'd have a team of 4 rogues for the whole DLC...   :rolleyes:

My last run was pro-Templar with no mage at all (except Beth a little in the beginning).

I never talked to Anders or Merrill and never had them in the squad.  It was fine, on Normal mode anyway, and the one time it sucked killing the dragon I just turned it down to casual to get through it.

I'd rather remain true to the RP and not take a mage with a Templar Hawke, than take one purely for their skills.

KaiserShep

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

I do that all the time for RP reasons, I even contemplated doing MOTA with Varric and Isabela until I realised Tallis and Hawke were both rogues as well, so I'd have a team of 4 rogues for the whole DLC...   :rolleyes:

I always do MoTA with an all-rogue group. I realized that I greatly prefer doing this mission this way. 

ArcadiaGrey

Insomniac
Sinner

I always do MoTA with an all-rogue group. I realized that I greatly prefer doing this mission this way. 

Really?  Do you find the combat to be okay with that group?

I second this question. Curious minds want to know. I do like picking my party for RP reasons over combat reasons, but I've long considered Isabella to be the weakest of them, and I can't imagine having anything but the best for some of MotA's encounters (perhaps especially the arcane horror, though that is optional...)

In answer to OP, yes, I also sometimes go no-mage - when I think it would contradict the logic of the game too much. It's certainly tougher, but by no means impossible. But I'd certainly do myself a favour and swap out Isabella for Varric (or, at the very least, Sebastian, if you're determined to keep your pirate queen around). Isabela-AND-no-mage is about the toughest party composition I can think of.

Yeah I have trouble keeping Isabela alive.  Maybe two archers will be better but I'll try Isabela first if I get that far.

KaiserShep

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

I actually found it to be great fun, but to be fair, by act 3 I'm packing a number of grenades. But Assassin Duelist Hawke is such an efficient killing machine that enemies don't last long.

I actually found it to be great fun, but to be fair, by act 3 I'm packing a number of grenades. But Assassin Duelist Hawke is such an efficient killing machine that enemies don't last long.

This. The only beef I had with a four rogue team was that Tallis is mostly useless.

ArcadiaGrey

Insomniac
Sinner

This. The only beef I had with a four rogue team was that Tallis is mostly useless.

That's great to know, thanks guys, I'll not shy away from bringing Varric and Izzy with me in MOTA now.  :)