Much respect to the man, the myth, the legend, AKOdin for testing Rune of Fortune's capabilities. (see faq below)

"I have not hit a cap after applying 10 Rune of Fortunes to my active party. RoF's do NOT apply if they are on companions NOT in your active party. Finally, all RoF's are not created equal. The RoF's on companion armor generate roughly +10% each after rounding." - AKOdin

Let's get started. (+better equipment section at end of guide added 8/6/11)

Talk to both groups hiring you in the Gallows courtyard.
Take the Merchant's bribe during Athenril's quest - 2g
Complete Meeran's quest by killing Friedrich. - 5g
7g + change
Hightown - Robes by Jean Luc - buy backpack
Viscount's Keep - pickup Aveline
Black Emporium - Buy Rune of Fortune & Design: Rune of Fortune
Lowtown - Apparel Shop - Buy backpack, Varric's Armor upgrade - Warning: Do NOT buy Amulet of Influence
The Hanged Man- Listen to Varric's lead on Anders
Lowtown - Lirene's Ferelden Imports - pick up Design: Rune of Frost while you are there
Lowtown - Gamlen's House - gear up - get Birthright quest
Hightown - Sandal - RoF in Varric's Armor (10% in ACTIVE companion armor)
Darktown - stop by Anders' Clinic for his quest - then head to the Amell Family Estate & complete Birthright quest (triggers Hubert's Bone Pit letter)
Gamlen's House - read Bone Pit letter
Hightown - Hubert - Obtain Bone Pit quest.
Bone Pit(zone) - 1st Dragon fight - Refined Lyrium #1 - then finish the area
Sundermount - Long Way Home - Silverite #1 - Complete Quest (This triggers Javaris) - clear the rest of area***
Back to town then head back to Sundermount - Ambush with Javaris triggers - get *quest, unlocks The Wounded Coast
The Wounded Coast - *Blackpowder Promise - Tal-Vashoth Cave - 1st Officer's Room - *2 traps* - Silverite #2
Down the stairs from Officer's Room - Raw Lyrium #2 - Leave
Black Emporium - Buy 3 slot Lady Rosamund's Bulwark (5.2.31g) or use 2 slot Lion of Orlais(free dlc) (+3.75% per shield slot)
Hightown - Worthy's Rune Shop, buy 5-6 RoFs - Sandal - $$$$$
Cha Ching

If you need a visual reference of where to find each resource use this video.
Appearences in video are as follows:
Silverite #1 @ 1:24; Lyrium #1 @ 2:20; Silverite #2 & Lyrium #2 @ 3:50

Where do I find that armor upgrade that adds a rune slot to my companions' armor? thank you naughty99

note:
For the entire first act it is recommended that you sell all of your poultices, except health*, at every opportunity to further increase your bankroll. *mainly for nightmare.

***Do NOT loot the Arcane Horror's corpse untill the completion of this guide.
***Shadow Warrior Dagger: "Arm of Adruil" -- Ameranthine Traitors Sword:"Royeaux One and Two"

Understanding - Enemies Drop Better Equipment :
It is my understanding that this stat increases your level variable when calculating the loot table for the zone you are entering for the first time and any random "creature drop" loot table checks when you kill an enemy.

You can increase the overall value of the items being loaded into the zone by first equipping items that have the stat "Enemies drop better equipment" before entering that zone. This will affect all the items in pre-set chests/caches for that zone, not creature drops as those are based on the level you are when you killed that enemy and are entirely random unless pre-set as well. (i.e. Swindler droping the rogue chest piece in lowtown during the Ashes quest.)
THIS IS A ONE TIME OPPORTUNITY TO IMPROVE THE "RANDOM" ITEM GENERATIONS THAT ARE SET FOR EACH ZONE!

DA2 Tactics : How do they work? - NM Blood Mage Compendium

Edited by SuicidialBaby, 16 June 2014 - 09:48 AM.

This is a great start on a guide, thanks for putting in the work :)

I've been wearing the Smuggler's Strappings (mage robe you get from siding with Athenril to get into Kirkwall) which makes higher quality equipment drop and the String of Pearls which is a belt that makes enemies drop more coin (drops in Act 1, Fenris' mansion if I remember correctly, you might want to add that).

I wonder do you know what kind of impact wearing items that make higher quality equipment drop has on making money? I've been assuming better drops means they sell for more, so I've been wearing it :) I have noticed something odd though wearing it, I keep getting the same items dropped over and over, in the same spot too. I have two Helmet of Victory, I got two Gallow Slave's Finger-Cuffs from the same place within like four seconds of looting and many others I can't remember.
You get a similar item from joining either group. Only difference is Meeran's quest is worth more with either path. Tougher, but worth it.

I have no data on the drop rate improvement from +better equipment, so I have no grounding to comment on it. I also neglected the poultice exploit because I just dont use it. Thresholds are just too low on nightmare and I dont play on any other difficulty.

I got two Gallow Slave's Finger-Cuffs from the same place within like four seconds of looting and many others I can't remember.

Those are designed drops.

Edited by SuicidialBaby, 24 March 2011 - 10:53 AM.

i wonder how much more $$ you can actually make by stacking those runes. I belive that through my first play i earned around 300 over the game (no rof pot selling etc ) but majority of it comes through quest rewards (i was playing good one so i didnt ask for money for helping). if 100g is of drops then all the work will probably give 50 more.

@robes with better equipment drop - i think its not worth to use them for the effect alone. Some1 posted that drops are calculated upon entering to area for chests etc and ipon mob death. so you would need to wear the gear all the time as oposed to RoF bonus that is applied just as you loot.
FAQ

1. Do Runes of Fortune stack? Yes. Feel free to check this in game by having two shields, one with a single RoF and a second with two RoF's. Save before you check a coin drop, and see the results when you switch the items.

2. Do RoF's and +Coin items stack? Yes. You can verify yourself by the same process as you did for RoF's.

3. Do all RoF's and +coin items all add the same amount? Nope. For example, the string of pearls (belt) adds 1.5% to a base coin drop, while the Amulet of Influence adds 2%.

(It turns out that RoF's and +coin items both have an initial +5% coin drop modifier. That initial 5% is then altered according to what equipment slot the ability is present on. Peter Thomas** (a Bioware Dev) posted item modifiers in another thread about Mana/Stam regeneration, and those numbers correctly correspond with what everyone reported so far.)

4. Does it matter which companion has the gear equipped? Nope, as long as they are in your active party. Having RoF's or +coin items on a party member not adventuring with you does not increase the money you get. Bummer, I know.

5. Is there an upper limit to how many RoF's stack? Not that I've observed. I was still seeing increases with 4 RoF's on Hawke, 4 on Companion Armor, and 2 on a Shield.

6. So what are the different values already? I'm glad you asked...

A RoF on companion armor will increase the base coin drop by 10%. It stacks. Fenris by himself in Act 3 can thus add 30% to your coin drops if he is in your active party.

A RoF on a shield will increase the base coin drop by 3.75%. It stacks. The quality of the shield does not matter.

A RoF or +coin property on Hawkes Chest Armor increases the base coin drop by 5%. It stacks. For example, equipping the Robe of the Notorious Pirate (which has a +coin property) with a RoF installed will increase coin drops by 10%.

A RoF on boots will increase the base coin drop by 1.8%.

A RoF on gloves will increase the base coin drop by 1.2%. This is the worst slot to equip a RoF into in terms of return.

A RoF or +coin property on a helm will increase the base coin drop by 2%.

The +coin property on a belt or ring adds 1.5% to the base coin drop. It doesn't matter if the belt or ring is on Hawke or a companion in your active party.

The +coin property on an amulet adds 2% to the base coin drop. Again, it doesn't matter if the item is on Hawke or a companion in your active party.

7. So what does it all mean? Well, it means that the most cost-effective location for RoF is on your active
companions. It also means that the Amulet of Influence is probably not worth buying in Act 1 unless you really don't mind the time taken to swap it out constantly, as it will not pay for itself until you have found 50 gold worth of BASE coin drops; and later game amulets are much more powerful.

Another implication is that it probably isn't worth it to buy the Bulwark shield for Aveline/Hawke warrior from the Black Emporium for casual RoF purposes. That  shield costs about 6.5gold to purchase and load with RoF's, while the Lion of Orlais shield is free for many people. If you do go with the Bulwark, you will need to find at
least 57 gold worth of base drops before you see a return on your investment.

8. I want to make the most of every drop. What if I kill enemies, and before checking their bodies, swap my current gear with my coin maxing gear? Will that work? Yes, that would work. Whether it is worth your time up to you.

*Testing Procedure Used: I found a crate that dropped some silver in act 3. I had saved before interacting with it, so its contents were unspoiled. I then went back to base, removed all items and runes from everybody but those I wanted to test, and gradually went back to the crate and saved, wrote down results, loaded, equipped another item, checked results, etc.

** Slot Modifiers Listed: Chest Armor - 1.0/Helm - 0.4/Gloves - 0.24/Boots - 0.36/Shield - 0.75/Follower Armor - 2.0
     /One Handed Weapon - 0.8/Two Handed Weapon - 1.0/Dagger - 0.6/Bow - 1.0/Staff - 1.0/Amulet - 0.4/Ring - 0.3 /Belt - 0.3

Edited by AKOdin, 19 April 2011 - 03:17 PM.

AKOdin you by any case made wiki page about it ? nice info.
you can probably assume 6 sockets on companion armor that makes 60% + 2 on shield - 7.5% + what hawke would wear 20% max ? Makes a 87% soft cap.

@Bulwark haha gonna load it ^^ its atually worse if you compare as bulwark only gives the 3.75 % over Lion . To earn 6.5g with 3.75% increase you would need to find over 170g in drops - totaly not worth it.
I also wouldnt bother about swaping items on hawke for the bonus - its not wroth buying gear with sockets and before you find something considerable...

EDIT: also if you use rune on some minor socket like boots before it pays back you will need to find 20g in drops.
I wonder if there is some 3 socket chest for hawke in act 1 (for mage in this case)

Edited by Att3r0, 24 March 2011 - 12:20 PM.

I didn't, but it looks like someone put it up on the DA2 Wiki already. Yay!

SuicidialBaby wrote...

Much respect to AKOdin for testing Rune of Fortune's capabilities.

I have not hit a cap after applying 10 RoFs to my active party. RoF's do NOT apply if they are on companions NOT in your active party. Finally, all RoF's are not created equal. The RoF's on companion armor generate roughly +10% each after rounding.

Let's get started.

Talk to both groups hiring you in the Gallows courtyard.
Take the Merchant's bribe.
Complete Meeran's quest.
7.6.24g
Hightown - Robes by Jean Luc - buy backpack
Black Emporium - Buy RoF & Design
Lowtown - Buy Amulet of Influence, backpack, Varric's Armor upgrade
Hangman - Varric's lead in to Anders
Gamlen's House - gear up - get Last Will quest
Hightown - Sandal - RoF in Varric's Armor - equip other runes
Darktown - start Anders quest & go into family estate (This triggers the Bone Pit letter)
Hightown - Hubert - Bone Pit - 1st Dragon fight - Lyrium #1
Sundermount - Long Way Home - Silverite #1 - Complete Quest (This triggers Javaris)
Go back to town then head back to Sundermount - Ambush with Javaris triggers - get quest
Wounded Coast - Blackpowder Promise - Talvorash Cave - Officer's Room - *2 traps* - Silverite #2
Down stairs from there - Lyrium #2 - Leave
Gamlen's House - order 6 RoFs
Black Emporium - Buy Bulwurk
Hightown - Sandal - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Cha Ching

Man do I need this!, Thanks!
/console addmoney 1000000 <--- 100g *whistles* after 3 playthroughs im ready to start messing around with the console
Nice analysis guys; I was wondering about this myself.