BrickSev

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 105.00
Greetings, fellow DA fans,

I’m currently playing Legacy and I wonder what is the “wiser” choice in dealing with Larius/Janeka conflict.

My first impression was not to trust both of them. Larius was clearly influenced by the taint while Janeka’s actions are reckless, just to use an euphemism.
If I had to take a decision quickly I’d simply plan to destroy Corypheus. The story’s progression proves this is an inevitable course of action.

However the dilemma remains: What is it wiser?
Larius’ plan appears safer, if allying yourself with a Ghoul may be safe or wise.
From the other side Janeka’s plan is still worth of consideration. Since both plans require Corypheus to be set free why don’t give it a try?

What do you think is the “wiser” way to resolve the Larius/Janeka conflict?
Using Mass Effect morality parameters what do you consider the “Paragon” choice?
Ultimately what choice produces the most “epic” plot?

You comments are much appreciated.
Wisdom in this matter would be very subjective based on how you choose to play Hawke. Much like most of the "moral" quandaries in DA2, nothing is cut and dry, nothing is without consequence (especially since I think that Corypheus did a bit of body-hopping).

For my first Legacy playthrough, I sided with Larius - defeat the awakened magister, thwart the wardens and their seemingly hasty plan to "study" him, possibly vanquish that which Malcolm was seeking to trap and confine. That decision "felt" right.

Second Legacy playthrough - I opted to side with Janeka. And while she spoke coherently, with sense and logic compared to Larius's awkward phrasing and eyes carrying bewilderment (and the taint), it still felt wrong.

It really holds to the type pf player and the type of Hawke. In the end, there is no right or wrong perhaps - it's all about how to then deal with the potential aftermath of the events.
I chose Larius, but I don't feel like either decision really matters - it leads to pretty much the same conclusion either way.
The only difference is the boss fight. Follow Janeka and you fight three golems, one of whom drops a +6 health regen ring. Follow Larius and you fight three Arcane Horrors and a Revenant, one of whom drops a belt with 1-2 Dex and 3% attack speed.

Oh this is an RP question. Nevermind...
For myself, I generally agree with Varric; why not try Janeka's plan? You can always still go with Larius' idea and kill him anyway if the control fails. Since both of them want you to free Cory, might as well take a shot at making something good out of it.

For main!Hawke, it was even more clear-cut; Janeka sent thugs to kill her sister, Janeka dies horribly. But it's easiest to kill someone when their guard is down, so: side with her, let her be useful with Cory if possible, then shank her on the tower when she's least expecting it (unless damn kill-stealing Larius jumps her first, the jerk).

For mage!Hawke, it was equally easy: Janeka intended to use blood magic, nothing good can possibly come from blood magic, side with Larius.

On the whole, though, I'd say the game tends to tilt you toward Larius in much the way it nudged you toward Harrowmont in DA:O. She's a patronizing *** who works with the thugs who tried to kill you, and she basically demands your help. He's a kind guide who freely offers his. I would expect the "average" Hawke to side with Larius more often than not even without the blood magic issue.
It'd have made a much more difficult choice had I not stumbled across a veritable library of codex entries beforehand which explained in great detail just how bad an idea it would be to let Corypants loose, strewn around the floor of a magical underground prison built specifically to contain him.

Varric's 'what's the worse that could happen?' argument didn't exactly sway me.

Edited by bleetman, 18 August 2011 - 05:39 PM.

Sylvius

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 67.00
My Hawke sought magical knowledge above all else (I patterned her personality after Avernus from DAO), so she chose Janeka. Larius seemed to want to destroy the knowledge and power, and my Hawke couldn't allow that.

That said, I routinely play characters who lack concern for the welfare of others, so my example might not be relevant to you.
I thought Janeka's, "I can totally control this ancient evil that millennia of sacrifice have kept locked up, I have blood magic, don't worry guise," sounded like pretty much the worst plan I've ever heard in my life.

bleetman wrote...

It'd have made a much more difficult choice had I not stumbled across a veritable library of codex entries beforehand which explained in great detail just how bad an idea it would be to let Corypants loose, strewn around the floor of a magical underground prison built specifically to contain him.

Varric's 'what's the worse that could happen?' argument didn't exactly sway me.

Larius wants you to let him loose too, though. If it were a choice between "let him out and try to control him" and "keep him locked up," I'd be more concerned about the codicies, but as-is, it's a choice between "let him out and try to control him" and "let him out and then kill him." Which to my mind isn't really a choice, just a Plan A/Plan B situation.

Edited by Quething, 18 August 2011 - 06:13 PM.

Quething wrote...

Larius wants you to let him loose too, though. If it were a choice between "let him out and try to control him" and "keep him locked up," I'd be more concerned about the codicies, but as-is, it's a choice between "let him out and try to control him" and "let him out and then kill him." Which to my mind isn't really a choice, just a Plan A/Plan B situation.

This is true. Unfortunately, it's just one of those things the game does with annoying frequency:  forcing you to choose between two plans that both suck. At the very least, let-him-out-and-kill-him seems slightly less bonkers nuts with something so apparently dangerous.

Filament wrote...

I thought Janeka's, "I can totally control this ancient evil that millennia of sacrifice have kept locked up, I have blood magic, don't worry guise," sounded like pretty much the worst plan I've ever heard in my life.

Yes :lol:

Edited by bleetman, 18 August 2011 - 06:13 PM.