Discuss the Witcher III and its wiki, share tips, discuss expansions and DLC!
Wiki: Visit the Witcher 3 Wiki

Chaosmaker

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,731.00
Wiki Edits: 1
The kinda stuff like misleading skills pisses me off in games, just to rant a little bit......

Just restarted the game and I'm doing the expansions atm. I just obtained the new mutagen abilities. The ability "Piercing cold" says that anything that doesn't get frozen gets hit for 5500 damage, etc. I've frequently used this ability, and mobs that don't get frozen don't get hit for anywhere near that amount of damage. Looking at 1kish tops. Also the "Opponents knocked down and frozen simultaneously get instantly killed" proc doesn't appear to be working as it says either. Tested it on a pack of wolves, knocked a bunch of them down and froze them (could visibly see they were frozen), and no insta-kill. I had to spam the skill several times to get an insta-kill on one of them.

The Rune enhancement "Rotation" which is supposed to give igni 360 degree coverage doesn't seem to work either.

I'm a bit disappointed in sign builds, I was expecting something better. And I'm fully decked out. I got full Grandmaster Griffin set & +285% sign intensity (+385% while in Yrden). Currently level 50, branched off into alchemy tree and put enough points to get synergy which increases my mutagen bonuses by 50%, so I get +60% from 3 Greater Blue Mutagens for +180% instead of +160% from 4.

The reason sign builds are crap, IMO, is anything that's immune to burning takes very little damage from any of the signs. And non-sign builds can still inflict burning using igni via superior petri's philter. I was kinda banking on "Piercing Cold" helping sign builds get around this, because anything immune to burning is likely immune to freezing as well. For anyone that thinks a straight up 5500 damage would be too OP, well, I could respect this build into a cat gear, or adrenaline build and EASILY do more than 5k with a strong attack at level 50.

Conductors of Magic mutagen doesn't increase damage any. The skill doesn't even seem to work. I couldn't find any info about anyone else having this problem. Its like I'm the only person who ever played the game that the skill is broken for.

Chaosmaker

Obsessed
Commander

It appears to be one of the mods I was using that makes grandmaster witcher gear level up that was breaking the "Conductors of Magic" skill. I figured it out by swapping some different weapons in. Igni does considerably more damage with conductors of magic. Went from doing 450ish to 1300ish. Doesn't seem to give as big of a damage boost on Aard, or the other skills. The skill is misleading. If the increase is based on half your weapon damage, I'd expect the damage to increase by a flat amount equal to the 850ish increase I saw on igni, but that's not the case. I was expecting to see Aard hitting for 1kish, when in truth it hit for considerably less. But even if it did 1kish damage, at the level 50+ range that isn't a whole lot of damage. Euphoria is better on a sign build because it increases your sword damage considerably. The extra sign intensity buffs up Quen to the point where my Quen is nearly unbreakable. Detlaff's 3rd form normal attacks were barely scratching my stamina bar when I held the Quen shield up. Again, the posted damage absorb on Quen in the stats menu is also not correct. I had like 14k HP with all the HP buffs from decoctions, and he hit for a decent chunk of HP when I didn't have Quen up. If I had to estimate, the true absorbtion value of Quen was quite a bit more than my 14K HP bar, based on the % of my HP bar that went away per hit compared to the % of my stamina bar that went away per hit while the Quen shield was up. The posted absorbtion was listed at 1100ish in the menu.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 326,508.49
Bank: 8,443.71
Wiki Edits: 26131
Thanks for posting back with a follow up. Mods do break the game but that's beyond the control of the devs...

Now for the damage, would you think that the explanation is showing you the raw output rather than the intake, since enemies have their own defenses as well?
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Sekiro Wiki ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Chaosmaker

Obsessed
Commander

Fexelea wrote:Thanks for posting back with a follow up. Mods do break the game but that's beyond the control of the devs...

Now for the damage, would you think that the explanation is showing you the raw output rather than the intake, since enemies have their own defenses as well?

The damage on my Igni is listed at 474 for me. And nearly every enemy got hit for that amount of damage. With minor exceptions. I'm not understanding why the tool tab would be very literal with one skill, and not so much with the rest. As far as piercing cold doing way less damage than the listed amount due to enemy defenses, I'm not sure about that either. Geralt doesn't have many sources for cold damage, and every mob would have to resist it by like 80%+ to explain the lack of damage I'm seeing. I tested the skill against quite a few enemy types. Insects, the one enemy type I'd assume would be weak vs cold took around the same amount of damage as humans, or wolves.

As far as Quen goes, I was thinking that maybe its effectiveness is partly based on your HP bar, and the absorb amount might be a different stat entirely. Like the ability to take damage without breaking that isn't a literal number.
VIP

AngryFrozenWater

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Qubit

Souls: 1,571.00
Bank: 0.00
Damage calculation.

How does the armor value work?

Witcher 3 builds.

The first two links are not specific to elemental damage and signs, but may be useful to you anyway.

The last link contains a lot of information on all kinds of builds, including gear, signs and alchemy. Maybe you'll find your answers there.
"There is a high statistical probability of death by gunshot. A punch to the face is also likely." - Legion.

Chaosmaker

Obsessed
Commander

Something interesting to note is burn/bleed don't appear to be hampered by the same damage penalties other damage types are when fighting against Skull leveled opponents. I was able to easily and quickly eliminate some over leveled hunts by simply setting them on fire with Igni, and their HP bar melted just as any other. So sign builds can more easily dispatch some of the over leveled hunts/enemies than melee builds can. Of course, anything that's immune to burn is hell to kill with a sign build. In which case Yrden is the best option, vs golems, etc.

I've hit over leveled enemies with melee weapons before and landed bleed, and saw the mobs taking sizeable chunks of damage, certainly more than my regular sword attacks were doing. I don't know if bleed gets any multipliers for damage, but burn via Igni is buffed with higher sign intensity which makes it a more powerful DoT providing you can land it.

If your sign intensity is high enough, it's possible you can still knock down some over leveled enemies for a finisher kill. Even at level 12, I ran into some level 20X humans, and after using Aard a few times, one of them got knocked down, and I was able to run up for the finisher. Even if it doesn't knock them down every time it might still work with repeated uses. I was able to beat the Hatori questline at level 12-14 by using gimmicks like this to beat over leveled enemies.

I don't remember the exact skill, but it's the skill that can parry arrows and send them back at their attackers. That works, and does very good damage to over leveled enemy archers. Over leveled enemy archers are among the most dangerous in the game. It's not that hard to parry arrows, honestly. You can oneshot or 2 shot them. When it would take you a little while to drop them with melee attacks if they're skull leveled.