Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

mrgill1337

Souls: 121.00
Bank: 0.00
Okay, so Kalameet's name had me thinking for quite some time, as his/her name 'Kala' in old Hindi meant 'Time" and the other half 'Meet' means 'Friend'.
Kala + Meet = Time + Friend ~ But you wouldn't say it like Time-Friend. When translating the dragon's name from Hindi/Punjabi it means Time-Friend, Friend of Time, and Time's Friend. The last two are more appropriate.
Also, 'Kala' is the colour black in Hindi/Punjabi, just another point. Since Lordran's 'Time is distorted' maybe this has some relation to it?

Sav_Alc

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 7.00
Bank: 1,900.00
Sounds like a possibility
But what I've gathered is that kal is short for calorie and they used a k instead of a c just to be fancy.
ameet on the other and is when u drop into his territory and the two of you meet each other
And when u put it together kalameet is when he kills u at the meet he eats u and blows fire on your bones to burn calories.

U can thank me later B-)
Darkmoon 4 lyfe

Steam ID: Ohio K
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,414.54
Wiki Edits: 460
I honestly thought it was a play on "Calamity" and I even mentally referred to him as "Kalameety" before I even knew there was a ring.

Your explanation is a possibility and much more interesting
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 45,569.50
Wiki Edits: 565
Kalameet, a friend to anything? I find that highly suspect.

Kalameet's name follows the naming conventions for dragons in the King's Field series, so my guess is it would mean something based on that. It also sounds very much like calamity.

Manus's name means "hand" in latin, but Kalameet doesn't sound very much like latin at all.
Mythic and symbolic inferences in this game cross many cultural borders and span time as fluidly as time distorts in Lordran. I, too, find your speculations referencing Hindu mythology interesting. I thought of Kali and did a bit of research. This kind of summarizes my thoughts on Kalameet's name, unfinished (to be sure):

"The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, death, lord of death, Shiva. Since Shiva is called Kāla—the eternal time—Kālī, his consort, also means "Time" or "Death" (as in time has come). Hence, Kāli is the Goddess of Time and Change."

The above led me to read up on "Shakti", as well.

Reading your post got my mental wheels turning again. Thanks for the "kick start". :biggrin:
Lots of good "kick start" material in this section...different perspectives kindle thought and freshen the way of wonder. Thanks, again!

mrgill1337

Souls: 121.00
Ahhotep1 wrote:Mythic and symbolic inferences in this game cross many cultural borders and span time as fluidly as time distorts in Lordran. I, too, find your speculations referencing Hindu mythology interesting. I thought of Kali and did a bit of research. This kind of summarizes my thoughts on Kalameet's name, unfinished (to be sure):

"The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, death, lord of death, Shiva. Since Shiva is called Kāla—the eternal time—Kālī, his consort, also means "Time" or "Death" (as in time has come). Hence, Kāli is the Goddess of Time and Change."

The above led me to read up on "Shakti", as well.

Reading your post got my mental wheels turning again. Thanks for the "kick start". :biggrin:
Lots of good "kick start" material in this section...different perspectives kindle thought and freshen the way of wonder. Thanks, again!

Yes, you are absolutely correct about 'Kala' & 'Kali', and I'm really glad my topic was interesting too. :D

Kings_Descendant

Casual
Convict

Souls: 165.00
Kala is a finnish word and means simply "fish" but I highly doubt Kalameet has anything to do with fishes.

But really, as a finn, there is many funny names for places and characters in Dark Souls :D.
Our lovely goddess of sin, Velka, is one funny. Velka means "debt" in Finnish language and it's funny, because it's almost sin to be in debt for someone :D.
Then there is Ariamis. Ari is a rather common name for Finnish man and amis is a short version of word ammattikoulu, which means vocational school. So the place in DkS is simply a Painted World of Ari-called man from vocational school. Lol :D.

So it is funny to play Dark Souls when you come from Finland.

Sorry if this was little //offtopic.
Game of the year 2011: Dark Souls

- Game of all time: Dark Souls -
King's descendant wrote:Kala is a finnish word and means simply "fish" but I highly doubt Kalameet has anything to do with fishes.

But really, as a finn, there is many funny names for places and characters in Dark Souls :D.
Our lovely goddess of sin, Velka, is one funny. Velka means "debt" in Finnish language and it's funny, because it's almost sin to be in debt for someone :D.
Then there is Ariamis. Ari is a rather common name for Finnish man and amis is a short version of word ammattikoulu, which means vocational school. So the place in DkS is simply a Painted World of Ari-called man from vocational school. Lol :D.

So it is funny to play Dark Souls when you come from Finland.

Sorry if this was little //offtopic.

Don't be sorry, Kings. The Finnish meanings of those words were funny. :)
Levity (funny stuff) has it's own unique and precious value!
...and (sometimes) veils rough gems of wisdom, too. :D
Last edited by Ahhotep1 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kings_Descendant

Casual
Convict

Souls: 165.00
^ Haha yes. When I was first introduced to the world of Dark Souls, those names were so weird and I thought I would never get used to them. Well, after over 200 hours of DkS and even more hours of digging its deep lore, I can say I am more than happy to have them in there.

But yeah, my real thoughts about the origins of Kalameet's name is the same what others have said. It is shaped from the word calamity. And that word fits in the world of DkS perfectly, especially for that kind of dragon B-) .
Game of the year 2011: Dark Souls

- Game of all time: Dark Souls -

Windy1998

Souls: 10.00
So my friend started going on about Kalameet, saying he was the black dragon that survived the war with the gods. However, if the ancient dragons were of such massive size, why does he seem so small comparatively? Is he an illusion like the giant guards in Anor Londo? Or has he somehow changed his size as to not attract to much attention?

So is he the great black dragon that survived the war, or not? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Oh, and thanks for reading my first post.

Praise the Sun