Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

RumblyDrop41

Souls: 25.00
Howdy all,

I'm new on the forum, and I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up. I'm gonna lay this one out for y'all, and I know it's a stretch, but bear with me.

I was watching a friend running around in Ash Lake, and I noticed that the Archtrees rise up into the clouds. Given its location Blighttown, how can there be clouds in the sky. I mean, you have to enter the area by descending the trunk of the Great Hollow, which itself was once an Archtree. In saying that, could it be possible that Ash Lake is similar to the inside of OUR Earth, as depicted in "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne? and that the Darkness from which Humanity arose is deeper inside the planet?

-Rumbly

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,557.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 25927
It's definitely a viable theory that all of this sprung from deep within. The opening cinematic has the camera going down the base of an arch tree and into a subterranean chamber where the lord souls and dark soul were found. I'd say that supports that notion pretty well. Welcome to the forum!
This site is a bonfire. Thank you all for kindling it. "No rest for the wikid."- the eldritch wisdom of Skarekrow13

Gaming News, Guides & Reviews / Gaming Wikis / Join VIP
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

snakebite6x6x6

Souls: 15.00
I am not so sure that Ash Lake is actually underground.

If you stand at firelink and look out over the chasm you can see the putrid water of Blighttown stretching out before you, and in the distance you can see the archtree that makes up the Great Hollow. Given its orientation to Firelink and the rest of Lordran, it looks as if Ash Lake stretches away from the city. If you look in the distance beyond the tree you see from Firelink, you see an endless expanse of wetlands...Ash Lake could be the beginning of this.

The only problem I have with this theory is that there are no archtrees visible in the distance, but that may simply be because part of the city walls block the view.

Just a thought.

There is a 3d map viewer for Dark Souls, its really good for seeing how the different areas connect with each other, and how they are actually laid out in game. I don't have a link for the program but that is what google is for :S.

RumblyDrop41

Souls: 25.00
That thought never occurred to me. The game world seems so vertically inclined, and that's kind of where this whole idea came from.

-Rumbly
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,557.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 25927
According to the 3D Map viewer Ash Lake is the lowest point of the game world. Whether it is subterranean or not isn't certain:

This site is a bonfire. Thank you all for kindling it. "No rest for the wikid."- the eldritch wisdom of Skarekrow13

Gaming News, Guides & Reviews / Gaming Wikis / Join VIP
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Serious_Much

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 2,231.00
Bank: 7,705.66
Wiki Edits: 22
Maybe lordran is just a tiny planet that the giant hollow leads to the other side of the world?

MIND = BLOWN.
"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"
Forum Guidelines- Have a peek
Shop IconShop Icon

G_Man

Casual
Convict

Souls: 383.00
Well in demon souls (if you played it) there are these things called archstones that can teleport you to different areas, the trees in ash lake are called arch trees. Going up, the trees dont appear anywhere else in lordran so ive always thought they lead to different worlds/universes.

Gray_the_Guilty

Souls: 30.00
I personally think its more likely that lordran was built on a mountain. Gwyn wanted to be close to the sun so maybe he built it as high as possible.

Mr_Rift

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,690.00
Personally I think Ash lake is underground, before you go to fight Nito you can see it down in the cave complex, perhaps the cave is big enough to have it's own weather system? It's been known to happen in the real world.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2441450/Er-Wang-Dong-cave-China-huge-weather-system.html

But if you'll indulge me... I'm not even sure that all these places are "connected" in the typical sense.

1) Andre refers to Darkroot Garden and Sens Fortress as two different but equally dangerous "Planes."

2) When you kill Gwynevere or Gwyndolin, the 'sun' over Anor Londo goes out, or an illusion of darkness is cast upon the city, which isn't reflected anywhere else in the game.

3) The game is very stratified, where ever you look out onto a horizon you typically see clouds above as well as below, giving the distinct impression of a series of layers.

4) There's no telling how far away or deep the Kiln of the First Flame is, but it literally looks like a pocket plane when you get in there, not just a cave with a fire pit.

Now, I know all this isn't *proof* that it's different dimensions/layers of reality or whatever, but it wouldn't be so much of a stretch when you take into account the twisted nature of Time in Lordran... and that space and time are linked.

G_Man

Casual
Convict

Souls: 383.00
I never said that it isn't undreground, but if what you said about the different planes existing in Lordran is true is it possible that ash lake exists in a different plane, possibly in the same plane that the catacombs exists in.