Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Successor_Of_Seath

Souls: 5.00
I have actually been Semi-Concerned with this as I actually have no idea who it is. We go through the game's Beginning and end up at the Undead Church where the chosen undead fights the Gargoyles to ring the first bell, But after you fight the tower guard you run into this...

This would appear to be a Sacrificial Altar with what seems to be the body of a Fire Keeper on it hence the Fire keeper Soul, Later on after the Gargoyles you run into this shady Character, Oswald of Carim who takes on the appearance of one of the follows of Velka, The Goddess of Sin. Would it be that Oswald was the one who killed this Fire keeper for some sort of Sin or Maybe another Victim of Lautrec ((Cause He just loves them Fire Keepers)), And what about the Statue in the background of the Altar with the Many birds around the Candles. Could that be Velka herself or is It someone else?

This is semi-Serious Concern of mine.
VIP

Thief

Caffeinated
Guardian

Best Bro of Pharis

Souls: 790.50
Wiki Edits: 37
It has been rumored and thus convinced me that Lautrec was in fact imprisoned for the murder of the Firekeeper on the Altar. Makes one wonder why Fina was so mad at Firekeepers.

Of course, this wouldn't explain why he left the Brass Warrior in Andor Londo unharmed... maybe he knew her, as unlikely as it seems, since she also whielded a Carim-branded Parrying Dagger. Not much to go on from. I mean, since the developers create those situations and just leave them at that, there's nothing more certain than reasonable speculation to go by...

As for Oswald, I can seen that anyone dedicating their life to being a direct servant of Dark Souls' shady pantheon ensemble, loses it at some point. Like Lautrec.
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon

CakeThiefPro

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 1,700.00
I agree with Thief. As for the Brass Warrior I suspect Lautrec wasn't certain he could beat her in a fight or simply respected her for being a warrior and not a helpless maiden.

Adherent_of_Cinder

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 689.00
Bank: 0.00
Not sure how to word this but killing the fire keepers would clearly impact the age of fire however small it be. I am not necessarily sure how much of a role they honestly play.

ParadigmEnigma

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 8,260.00
It should probably be noted that Reah sets up shop here at this altar once you rescue her from the Tomb of Giants. Probably isn't relevant to anything, but it's worth mentioning at the very least.

Back onto the topic. I really wish they did a slightly better job of expanding on the idea of the Fire Keepers.

Throughout the game, we encounter a total of 3 Fire Keepers (Anastacia, Quelaan, and the Darkmoon Knightess in Anor Londo).

We encounter a total of 4 Fire Keeper souls outside of those held by the still living Fire Keepers (one on the altar in the Parish, one on a lone platform in New Londo, one in the sewers/storm drain section of Blighttown, and one in the cells in the Duke's Archives which also happens to house Logan).

What I would really like to know is, who/where do these Fire Keeper souls belong.

In the game, we find out that killing a Fire Keeper deactivates the Bonfire that they are associated with. Killing Anastacia for example will shut off the Bonfire in Firelink Shrine.

That said, we encounter probably a good 30 or so Bonfires that we never meet the Fire Keeper associated with. Where exactly are all of them at? It stands to reason, using the examples of the known living Fire Keepers, that they must remain at least somewhat close to their associated Bonfire. So are we to just assume that all of these stray Fire Keepers are off hiding or just in inaccessible sections of the world around us?

I have heard mention that the Players Character is in fact a Fire Keeper himself, and that would go some way to explaining how all of these other Bonfires remain lit even with no Fire Keeper to be found, since you yourself are the Fire Keeper. It would also explain how the Player Character is able to light unlit Bonfires and his/her ability at the end to manipulate Gwyn's Bonfire.

This raises the question of why the Player Character is unable to relight the Bonfires associated with the still living Fire Keepers after they die though. If the Player Character has the ability to light and become the Fire Keeper for all of these other Bonfires, why would he/she be unable to take over the position for these slain Fire Keepers. This also brings up the question of if it is even possible to be a Fire Keeper for more than one Bonfire at a time.

Then there is the question of those 4 Fire Keeper souls we find throughout the game. There really is no mention of who they belong to, and it occurs to me that they must have been Fire Keepers associated with Bonfires that we never come across in game. Since these Fire Keepers are obviously dead, their Bonfires would be snuffed out as well, and, should they behave like the still living Fire Keepers, once they die, their Bonfire can not be relit by another. The only time we see one relit it is done by the Fire Keeper herself after you return her soul (and thus bring her back to life).

Since we never encounter any Bonfires that we can not light, I take this to mean that we never see the Bonefires associated with these Fire Keepers.

It should be noted also that all 4 of the found Fire Keepers souls are in locations that were once populated. The Parish, Blighttown, New Londo, and The Duke's Archives are all places that I am sure at one point probably had a decent population.

I realize my wall of text probably didn't do much to answer anything, but as usual, stuff to think about.

Caciowskij

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,808.00
I think that the fire keepers of the bonfire the character lits are dead, not hiding
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there.

Adherent_of_Cinder

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 689.00
Bank: 0.00
Ehh. The Idea of the player being a fire keeper is good, i just don't want to dwell on it if it wasn't at least implied officially. Sometimes i mistake very good head-canon for canon so i just ignore it more or less.

You did a good job of actually paying attention to their locations and such. So i guess there is a canonical reason like everything else.

Caciowskij

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,808.00
I didn't understand if a fire keeper must be female or it's just a coincidence that the ones alive are women
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there.
ParadigmEnigma wrote:I have heard mention that the Players Character is in fact a Fire Keeper himself, and that would go some way to explaining how all of these other Bonfires remain lit even with no Fire Keeper to be found, since you yourself are the Fire Keeper. It would also explain how the Player Character is able to light unlit Bonfires and his/her ability at the end to manipulate Gwyn's Bonfire.

This might actually be legit.

Bonfires respond to Humanity and your able to light unlit bonfires, but not the Firekeepers. I believe its due to special circumstances (unkown to us) that require a Firekeeper to be at that bonfire (all firekeeper bonfires can be warped to, the Lady of the Darkmoon even mentions this). *the update that allows for warping to normal bonfires like the Depths and Undead Parish is not valid since we couldn't do it before, so don't include them*

So what of the other bonfires? Simple: there is no Humanity supplying it. But when you show up, it can be re-lit. Now to answer why it stays lit: it actually doesn't. I found out that if you come up on a normal bonfire area, depending where you are, where your coming from, and how noisy it is, you can actually hear the bonfire re-lighting itself as you approach (I did this off-line so no chance of mistaking it for another player lighting it in his/her world). So when ever you walk away, it actually goes out and comes back on upon return since it 'remembers' you. The bonfires are just Undead remains anyway, anyone could have made those (gross).

Fuxyoutrick

Souls: 28.00
It seems apparent that Lautrec killed the fire keeper there. As to what bonfire she was keeping, I have no idea. They probably skipped adding in a dead bonfire so as to keep players from trying to find a way to rekindle it to no avail. Perhaps Oswald of Carim himself imprisoned Lautrec, being that he seems like some sort of judicator.