Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Mentaldevil

Souls: 195.00
Seath has so much books in his archives, but we know he´s blind so what does he need them for? Maybe I missed anything, didn´t find any info about this. Not really a huge lore part I know but I´m just wondering...
VIP

Thief

Caffeinated
Guardian

Best Bro of Pharis

Souls: 790.50
Wiki Edits: 37
Honestly, I always found the notion that a creature with the sheer physiognomy of a dragon has any use for a building like that to begin with, to be ridiculous at best.
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,409.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
I've always surmised that the building wasn't really for him (or at least not totally for him). Either it was built before he was granted Dukedom and he acquired it with the title or he was the first (and only) Duke but the mansion was built for his retainers. There's some evidence that he "renovated" for his own needs since he is able to access the room we find him in and the tower with the gears is generally believed to be where he did some research. My take on the gears is that they either spun the tower like a cylinder to access certain cells at a given time (since some can't be reached by stair) or that they helped open the roof for his entry or for experiments (like Dr. Frankenstein elevating the corpse into the lighting) or an observatory (moonlight seems important to him).

Anyway, that's off topic a good deal. You asked about his books. Firstly, if you take a close look there's maybe a dozen books repeated ad nauseam :P

Since I assume that's just a graphics shortcut I assume it's meant to be that he has thousands of books or more.

First evidence, we know that he DOES use the books as either research or for recording purposes because that's what Logan learns from and he accomplishes some of his goals of learning Seath's secrets. So some of what Seath knows is in those books. The big question is did he put the info in the books or did he take it? My best guess is both. Seath is portrayed as a mad scientist trying to learn the secret of immortality. To learn he needs to research which usually means books. Logan learns some of Seath's ways so I assume Seath was not so "blind" (get it?) to not record what he was doing for centuries.

So long story short. The books are meaningful for Seath.

But wait, he is blind right? Yes. Even though he seems to track us to some extent during the fight let's assume he hears us, etc. because he's supposed to be blind.

It would take a leap for me to say that all the books are in Braille since there's no evidence of it (like the open books) plus that would also mean Logan would also need to know how to read it. So while that solution fits nicely, there's no evidence of it.

So what do we have evidence of?

How do we know Seath is blind? The Channeler's helm says it.

Now, let's look at the definition of the word "channeler"

"a person who conveys thoughts or energy from a source believed to be outside the person's body or conscious mind"

and finally, let's look at that item description in full now:

"Helm of the Channelers, sorcerers that serve Seath the Scaleless. The six eyes arranged in two vertical columns compensate for Seath's lack of sight."

My conclusion is that Seath never actually read or wrote a word in the library. All of the information was channeled to him via his sorcerer servants. The rest of the set also indicates that the Channelers were sent out to snatch maidens for research but think that at any time he could have had several of these guys all sending him information simultaneously greatly speeding up any learning process.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

CakeThiefPro

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 1,700.00
Seath really is extremely powerful.

He found a way to make souls powerful to the point that it could rival Gwyn's bolts according to the Soul Spear description.

He found out how to make crystals strengthen both magic and armor presumably with the help of the blacksmith. As well as entire human bodies and creatures

He has the ability to curse us (an ability which should only belong to Nito, dead ghosts + frogs with eyes of death can curse us)

He can make entire walkways invisible (presumably an art taken from Oolacile at some point)

His channelers have the ability to teleport although the range is in question.

He can create creatures such as the moonlight butterfly as well as the pisaca's

And finally he managed to make the primordial crystal only work for him granting him immortality

Now considering even people at vinheim don't understand how magic works and Logan has over 100 years just to develop Soul Spear, I reckon all of that would have taken Seath a lot of work and research. Interestingly he doesn't seem to have shown interest in the healing sorcery of New Londo either because he was mad by the time it was developed or simply didn't need it. Oh and his potential daughter/experiment has the ability of Life Drain which even the most powerful Gods feared.

Anyway that was my little tribute to Seaths work/genius.

ResIsBestStat

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 482.00
Wiki Edits: 3
In ancient times it happened....But no-one ever dares to say about what happened when Seath tried to read a book...

Adherent_of_Cinder

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 689.00
Bank: 0.00
As someone mentioned the tower itself was most likely renovated Seaths Actual domain is the crystal caves, which i am positive he created to compensate for his inability to roam the castle.

It was never made clear if Seath was always blind, so he could have read the books up until that point. Which is something i naturally assumed to be honest. Granted that we have no clue as to the senses of a dragon, i cannot see him fighting and roaming the world blind.

inb4 echolocation.

DarkLordRichard

Souls: 75.00
Also do note that it never says how much of a lack of sight Seath the Scaleless has. It simply states that he has a lack of sight but never goes in depth to how much of a lacking sight, he could be losing his vision due to the time it took him to learn the secrets of Immortality for he did not possess the Immortal Scales like the other dragons. Which could point to semi-Blindness but not full blindness. "Compensate for his lacking sight" Could simply mean that his sight is bad enough that he cant read not that he cant fully see

Psn: Iggy_Darkfallen

Sunbroski

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 317.00
The Channelers who serve Seath the Scaleless have six eyes on their helmets (Not sure if they are their real eyes and the helmet you acquire is fake or a hollowed out head), the description of the Six Eyed Helm of the Channelers states that the eyes compensate for Seaths lacking eyesight. Which could mean that Seath the Scaleless can see through the eyes of the Channelers and they read for him.
[img=center]http://i.imgur.com/xZ2sEbd.gif -->
~ Praise The Sun! ~ fade_ontimer();
I honestly believe that the Archives were built for him as per his design. I am also sure that the caves were really his house, while the Archives was his work place. Also, there is no evidence to suggest that the room Seath is in when you meet him even opens up. He didn't need to; he knew how to teleport! And he also knew how to fly using magic, because there is no way his skimpy little wings could physically do the job. All he had to do was sit in his Mansion and do nothing but manipulate his servants to read and write all his research (after all he's still of Everlasting Dragon Kin; they didn't do much but sit around anyway). I'm pretty sure that all of those books were from Seath. The dialogue from Big Hat Logan suggests this as well.

Also, he's an albino...all albino reptiles are known to be very blind, and the same applies to Dragons.

carlucio

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 1,214.00
CakeThiefPro wrote:Seath really is extremely powerful.

He found a way to make souls powerful to the point that it could rival Gwyn's bolts according to the Soul Spear description.

He found out how to make crystals strengthen both magic and armor presumably with the help of the blacksmith. As well as entire human bodies and creatures

He has the ability to curse us (an ability which should only belong to Nito, dead ghosts + frogs with eyes of death can curse us)

He can make entire walkways invisible (presumably an art taken from Oolacile at some point)

His channelers have the ability to teleport although the range is in question.

He can create creatures such as the moonlight butterfly as well as the pisaca's

And finally he managed to make the primordial crystal only work for him granting him immortality

Now considering even people at vinheim don't understand how magic works and Logan has over 100 years just to develop Soul Spear, I reckon all of that would have taken Seath a lot of work and research. Interestingly he doesn't seem to have shown interest in the healing sorcery of New Londo either because he was mad by the time it was developed or simply didn't need it. Oh and his potential daughter/experiment has the ability of Life Drain which even the most powerful Gods feared.

Anyway that was my little tribute to Seaths work/genius.

And, despite all, he dies like a ****.