Anything without a home!

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 6,457.50
I’ve never actually read any GoT. To be honest, it just became too mainstream too fast. Out of nowhere I started seeing yuppies and jocks and whatnot talking about it so much that I figured it couldn’t possibly be good.

This kid I worked with years ago had never read a fantasy book before in his life, started reading the books after getting hooked into the show, then goes around praising Martin as the BEST fantasy writer ever. He did it a lot, loudly. He didn’t even know any other fantasy writers except Tolkien..... WTF!

I’ve been told by a few ACTUAL fans of the fantasy genre that it’s ‘alright’, if you don’t mind the low magic setting and tons of sex and drama. So I never touched it.

No one that I have ever talked to that is a long time reader of the fantasy genre has ever praised GOT for anything above ‘decent’. Any hardcore GoT fan that I have ever asked face to face always admits that they haven’t read other fantasy sagas.

But despite my anti-GoT stance, I have no beef with Martin. I’ve seen him in interviews and I thought he was pretty cool, so I’m taking his partnership with FROM as a good thing. I would enjoy a Soulslike with actual politics, cultural variation, and meaningful factions, which is what I am hoping Martin will bring to the table.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 386,231.49
Bank: 9,234.71
Wiki Edits: 32934
I read a lot (and particularly fantasy and thus why I love RPGs most) - ASOIAF is an excellent series. No, he's not Tolkien (I don't think we'll get one of those again), and some other authors have better high fantasy (like Brandon Sanderson's recent cosmere / way of kings) or better multi-level world building (Wheel of Time). But Martin's development of political intrigue in the setting is exceptional.

The show was a great adaptation, and then they ran out of material, and season 7 was on fast-forward... and then Season 8 happened and it has to be the worst ending to a series that I can think of. It's worse than Lost! The show writers were simply not up to the task of bringing this home, and they gave up mid way, and it showed. I actively despise them, as they have utterly ruined something that was very unique and had the hallmarks to become our modern LOTR equivalent.

Martin's writing style will be an excellent balance to Miyazaki's, so I am very much looking forward to what they do.
Fextralife: Gaming News ⚔️ Sekiro Wiki ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,605.50
Never watched the GoT show, and I'm glad I never started the way the last season went. As soon as the show ran out of material from the books it went off the rails, and GRRM now has a hard time to really finish the last book, since he's got to reconcile his story with someone else's.

Glad he's getting out there and doing more stuff though, he's a decent writer and should give From some good story to work with. I'm expecting Elden Ring to have more story up front, rather than From's normal way of bits and pieces in item descriptions.

Finally got to HR50 in Monster Hunter World the other day. 108 hours so far. Decided I was gonna switch up my weapon choice, since a hundred hours of Greatsword use is kinda hard on the shoulders. Going with the Charge Blade now, which is a big change for me. I'm used to getting up close and personal, hitting a few times then sheathing and running around. Charge Blade is so much more mobile, I'm having to adjust quite a lot. Plus the whole "charge and store phials to access big attacks" is more mechanically intensive than "stand on one spot, tackle through everything and press triangle".

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Lich180 wrote:Never watched the GoT show, and I'm glad I never started the way the last season went. As soon as the show ran out of material from the books it went off the rails, and GRRM now has a hard time to really finish the last book, since he's got to reconcile his story with someone else's.

Glad he's getting out there and doing more stuff though, he's a decent writer and should give From some good story to work with. I'm expecting Elden Ring to have more story up front, rather than From's normal way of bits and pieces in item descriptions.

Finally got to HR50 in Monster Hunter World the other day. 108 hours so far. Decided I was gonna switch up my weapon choice, since a hundred hours of Greatsword use is kinda hard on the shoulders. Going with the Charge Blade now, which is a big change for me. I'm used to getting up close and personal, hitting a few times then sheathing and running around. Charge Blade is so much more mobile, I'm having to adjust quite a lot. Plus the whole "charge and store phials to access big attacks" is more mechanically intensive than "stand on one spot, tackle through everything and press triangle".

Wait wait wait...
He didn’t even get to write the conclusion to what is basically his legacy (the show version that is)? Was that contractual? My head just exploded...
That’s terrible.
However. If you start a saga that isn’t a never-ending comic book type story, you should known at least a basis of the ending before you start it, or at least get too deep in/put out a first book.
I’ve never actually finished any of my would-be sagas, but I always know the ending before i start writing, or else I don’t even consider it a valid project. Because, you know, allusions and foreshadowing. And constant meticulous twists that can only be pulled off if one knows the beginning and end of a story.
But I’m not invalidating the talent of a writer that can pull all of that off along the way. That’s a definite skill. It just seems like a gamble for a professional writer.

On MHW. Nice. I hope you’re getting all your endgame Mantles. They definitely help.
And yeah, one of the perks of MH is the ease of changing weapons. It takes time to complete entire builds with gear when considering decorations, but it’s so easy to make a side weapon from extra mats for experimenting. I love that.
My main is on his 3rd weapon and that isn’t counting my Bowgun for a lazy ranged option.
Out of 14, I’ve only learned 6 weapons, and each one has a distinct style and purpose.
Hardest part of the game though is getting the decorations you want. That’s some real RNG pain right there.

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,605.50
Yeah from what I know GRRM didn't even write the show, only the books. The writers for the show had to start making up material for the show, because it went past all the books. The last book is still being written, but I'm willing to bet that between GRRM's meticulous writing style and the show creating it's own events, he's not really wanting to reconcile the two. Dunno if he had an ending in mind already, but that's kinda shot to hell with the way the show went.

I'm still working on some of the mantles. I think I've got most of the quests to get them, I just haven't gotten through the quest yet. My first big roadblock so far is Lunastra, in the special arena. I could probably take her down, but I decided to go finish up the optional missions and stuff that I missed and gather some materials for augments and some better gems.

I wish you could craft more decorations, that would really help cut down on the RNG hell. Make the rare decorations cost a ton of other gems, and you'll keep most of the grind while lessening the severity of it. At least it's still fun taking down monsters, just wish the lower rank ones were worth fighting. Kinda gets old going after Urugaan and Lavasioth all the time.

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

15 minutes for that fight is kinda bs.

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

I think I’m going to save a lot of money, get knocked out cold for a few days, pay to have every tooth removed, and just say screw it and have dentures by age 40...
For the past 20 years these teeth just take turns being a pain. My fault? Mostly.
(Just got another pulled and damn.. I’m glad I live somewhere where cbd/thc is legal)

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,282.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
sup. Got back from my mother's family reunion a couple of days ago. took a 10 hour drive there and back, but to see my siblings and niece's and nephews was worth it.

After playing Sekiro some more, I realize my dislike of their excessively vague and obscure quest systems goes deeper than a few side quests. After looking up how to get the other endings,, all I could think was, "how in the hell was someone supposed to consiously figure any of this out?"

It's not impossible to get them with a blind playthrough, but the arbitrary progression triggers like having to use three healing items to make the child sick and eavesdrop on people in specific locations you have no reason to think to do so makes me think you just have to luck into finding out this stuff if you're not using a wiki. Plus the fact that you miss out on a nice second owl boss fight makes it all the more annoying. The item you need to fight him just drops off of his person when you kill him, but apparently you just didn't pick it up for some reason, and Emma has to give it to you only after you get through the purification sidequest.
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 27,000.00
Wiki Edits: 41
EldritchImagination wrote:sup. Got back from my mother's family reunion a couple of days ago. took a 10 hour drive there and back, but to see my siblings and niece's and nephews was worth it.

After playing Sekiro some more, I realize my dislike of their excessively vague and obscure quest systems goes deeper than a few side quests. After looking up how to get the other endings,, all I could think was, "how in the hell was someone supposed to consiously figure any of this out?"

It's not impossible to get them with a blind playthrough, but the arbitrary progression triggers like having to use three healing items to make the child sick and eavesdrop on people in specific locations you have no reason to think to do so makes me think you just have to luck into finding out this stuff if you're not using a wiki. Plus the fact that you miss out on a nice second owl boss fight makes it all the more annoying. The item you need to fight him just drops off of his person when you kill him, but apparently you just didn't pick it up for some reason, and Emma has to give it to you only after you get through the purification sidequest.

I actually stumbled across that ending involving the two snake hearts. I actually stumbled into the purification steps too. But a bit too late into the game. I think it's less "convoluted" and more it's something that people will pass over if they simply play in a straight line. I don't think it's a huge leap for people to run into these alternate endings if they actually take their time to explore the world more slowly.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.