Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

GrinTwist

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 3,807.00
Bank: 2,732.50
Wiki Edits: 699
Pure Artorias, seeing as he would have his shield and sword with him. I see it as this, once his shield is gone he has a large weakness to exploit; we did this and so did Manus. Had he kept his shield he probably could have taken Manus on and probably would have killed him too.

Currently undergoing a dangerous adventure with a friendly dragon.

Forum Guidelines | Wiki Hub | Article Hub | Wiki Editing Guide
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Souls: 1,009.00
Bank: 522.03
Wiki Edits: 189
It could very well be hundreds of hits before reaching 99% damage reduction, understand the Abyss Artorias faced far surpasses the power of Corrupt Artorias himself. Swarmed by the humanity sprites, per second they deal quite a bit of damage and swarm.  The shield was still blocking 80% by the time we reach it and it has been under constant attack with the barrier it creates around it protecting Sif.
"Be well then, neither of us wants to see you go hollow."-Andre of Astora
If you are having problems on the forum feel free to send me a PM.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife
Tolvo wrote:It could very well be hundreds of hits before reaching 99% damage reduction, understand the Abyss Artorias faced far surpasses the power of Corrupt Artorias himself. Swarmed by the humanity sprites, per second they deal quite a bit of damage and swarm.  The shield was still blocking 80% by the time we reach it and it has been under constant attack with the barrier it creates around it protecting Sif.
Yeah, but you also have to consider a huge sword smashing down on it as well, at the same time as being hit by abyss.

And humanity is pretty much the same thing as the abyss (I know it's not really, but I think it counts close enough.)

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Corrupt Artorias deals magic damage with his explosion, and can sling very weak abyss essence that deals almost no damage.  Please try to apply what we know about the gear and abilities of characters.  Each sword swing doesn't deal abyss damage upon his foe, each swing is just a hit with a large sword.  That's it, and we are still talking a greatshield.  Hell there might be something with the original version against the shield since it deals magic damage as well.  Stray we have to stick with the facts and not try to jump to far too many conclusions without anything backing it up.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife
Tolvo wrote:Corrupt Artorias deals magic damage with his explosion, and can sling very weak abyss essence that deals almost no damage.  Please try to apply what we know about the gear and abilities of characters.  Each sword swing doesn't deal abyss damage upon his foe, each swing is just a hit with a large sword.  That's it, and we are still talking a greatshield.  Hell there might be something with the original version against the shield since it deals magic damage as well.  Stray we have to stick with the facts and not try to jump to far too many conclusions without anything backing it up.
.......... Leaves thread............ 

Sorry for being stupid then. I apologize.

SirArchmage

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 584.00
Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
Tolvo wrote:It could very well be hundreds of hits before reaching 99% damage reduction, understand the Abyss Artorias faced far surpasses the power of Corrupt Artorias himself. Swarmed by the humanity sprites, per second they deal quite a bit of damage and swarm.  The shield was still blocking 80% by the time we reach it and it has been under constant attack with the barrier it creates around it protecting Sif.
Yeah, but you also have to consider a huge sword smashing down on it as well, at the same time as being hit by abyss.

And humanity is pretty much the same thing as the abyss (I know it's not really, but I think it counts close enough.)
The shield was damaged by constantly being attacked for who knows how many years it was sitting there just protecting Sif. As well as the shield expending power constantly by putting up the barrier. Saying that that is the same as a big sword smashing against it, with the only attack from the Abyss being that it makes that big sword hit a bit harder, I doubt the shield will even feel it.
"Do not reply back on this thread. Any future apologies will be ignored. You have been warned."
-Satan 2014

"I'll remove this when you remove your signature."
-Satan upon negative repping me 3 points, 2014

Aigaios

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 0.00
Soul of Stray Demon wrote:While the Greatsword of Artorias is stronger, I would consider the fact that the Abyss Greatsword has the power of the abyss, would probably multiple the damage done by a considerable amount. Surely at least enough to be somewhat stronger.

And with the greatshield, All it would probably take is one hit and then it stops blocking damage fully.

At least those are my beliefs.
Since Artorias was corrupted by the abyss together with his weapon that was turned into the Abyss Greatsword wouldnt that mean that the sword wielded by Sif is a fake? The Greatsword of Artorias forged from the Soul of Sif is more of a replica of the original sword that was corrupted so its more or less the Greatsword of Sif. We dont know how powerful the original sword could have been.
I SAID SORRY, STOP POINTING OUT THE FLAWS.
 Please.
Last edited by Soul_of_Stray_Demon on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

I'm not trying to call you stupid Stray or single you out, but we have to try and focus on what we know then lead into speculation from there.  

I'd say one thing that could be going against Pure Artorias is speed.  The move sets for the regular Artorias swords are much slower and with the increased raw physical power of Corrupted Artorias along with his carelessness in regards to pain, would let him move much faster.  Speed and Power combined are quite deadly, and can be overcome with skill.  But the speed does make it more difficult in regards.

Rau_Le_Creuset

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 174.00
Pure Artorias takes the win..
Abyss Artorias is way hotter.

Obviously the addition of a sane mind and great shield out play the brute strength tactics the Abyss Artorias would use. Plus Artorias before Abyss was before the patch so he could easily 2h greatsword stunlock Abyss Artorias to death. gd ez pk np.
[img=center]http://static.tumblr.com/bcab3fc37f488e27f886e56ea089ed52/7ikjizi/30Omo7mau/tumblr_static_2013-06-11_1137.png -->