Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Wilkinson3424

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 806.54
Wiki Edits: 10
Artorias, most likely one of the most powerful knights in history.

He was unmatched with a greatsword.

Let's take a look at Pure Artorias.

Now the lore is bent a little bit and conflicts with the DLC lore so bare with me.

Artorias had the ultimate weapons of killing the creatures of the abyss.

His greatsword, and His Silver Pendant.

His shield was also known for repelling the abyss, as it saved Sif from the Chasm's power.

Take a look at the cover art for the DkS game case.

One of FromSoft's workers said that it was Artorias entering the abyss. (It could just be random junk made by fromsoft, but it does look similar)

He has his weapon in his left hand. His shield in his right.

Look at the DLC Artorias, he has his weapon in his right hand, is missing his shield, his armour is corroded, and his left arm is crippled.

Not to mention he is possessed by the abyss.

Let's look at the pro's and cons of each version of artorias.

Pure Artorias

PROS:

1. He has all of his gear, in top notch condition.

2. He is not injured.

3. His weapons are made for defeating creatures of the abyss.

4. He most likely, has more discipline and control of his fighting.

5. He has the wolf ring in his possession, he will not be toppled easily.

6. His shield can block and repel the abyss.

CONS:

1. He is not human, and any humanity that breaches his armour will be lethal.

2. His armour does not have true defense against the abyss, it may actually be helpless against it. His shield seems the be the only defense against the abyss.

Abyss Artorias:

PROS:

1. The abyss makes him stronger, he can charge it and he becomes insanely strong.

2. He most likely has humanity serving as armour, where he real armour lacks.

3. His sword is powered by humanity, and he seems to have alot of it.

CONS:

1. He is possesed by the abyss, and is most likely lacking proper fighting techniques, while he does remain using certain moves, and tricks, it's pretty sloppy.

2. His armour is corroded.

3. His sword is almost useless without humanity, but he seems to have alot of it so this might not even be a problem.

4. He is left-handed, and is using his shield in his right hand. (Speculation based off the person on the cover of dark souls, it was said somewhere that it was Artorias entering the abyss. But it could just be random crap made by fromsoft.)

5. He is missing his shield, and his wolf ring, as he does not drop it when you kill him.

So who would win in a fight? Go ahead and vote and discuss! Keep it clean guys.

REMEMBER: Sif would not accompany either of them. And Artorias would be using the Uncursed version of his sword.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we livin' lives

Hue

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 139.00
Bank: 4.00
Wiki Edits: 1
Wilkinson3424 wrote:4. He is left-handed, and is using his shield in his right hand.
ಠ_ಠ
Please, not again with left/right handed bull ****
It's confusing, and there's no proof for it. It's not even implied.

Pure artorias because he can think, and is specialized in killing creatures of the abyss, and i'm pretty sure he could preict what another copy of himself can or cannot do.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wilkinson3424 wrote:

Abyss Artorias:

CONS:

5. He is missing his shield, and his wolf ring, as he does not drop it when you kill him.

There's no proof he's missing his wolf ring, because many of the enemies don't drop items they are using. Qualeeg doesn't drop her furysword yet it's obvious she has it.

And good idea Wilk. We can turn this whole idea into a poll and let everyone discuss it.

SirArchmage

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 584.00
This is certainly an interesting question, as we have no frame of reference to how strong Pure Artorias is. But, I do think that the Pure one would win. Why?

He fights the Abyss and things of evil a lot, obviously. He would have experience with it, as well as an extreme amount of combat knowledge. He has both arms to fight, and his sword is most likely strong against the Abyss Artorias due to the Abyss inside of him. He is calmer, and with the Greatshield be able to go on the defensive to see the extremely aggressive pattern of his Abyssal version so that he could counter it effectively.

Both swords are probably of equal strength. The Abyss Artorias's sword lacks the magical power that it once had in full form, but makes up for this in being boosted by Humanity and sheer attack power, as I am guessing the Abyss Artorias is stronger then the Pure one from being boosted by the Abyss. In fact Pure Artorias might still have an advantage sword-wise, if there is that damage boost to Abyss Artorias due to the sword sensing the Abyss. While also, the Pure one knowing when and where to strike effectively.

Nonetheless it would be a close match. Replayed over and over again, I think both would have many wins, with the wins leaning towards the side of Pure Artorias.
"Do not reply back on this thread. Any future apologies will be ignored. You have been warned."
-Satan 2014

"I'll remove this when you remove your signature."
-Satan upon negative repping me 3 points, 2014

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Souls: 1,009.00
Bank: 462.03
Wiki Edits: 189
Artorias Pure would win in my book.  There is a simple thing to consider.

Why did Artorias fail in the Abyss in the first place?  Because he gave up his shield to protect Sif.  Sif is his weakness, his compassion is his weakness.  With no allies to take advantage of such as Sif what advantage is there in combat against Artorias?  There is no aspect of him to take advantage of to ensure victory, with Sif Abyss Artorias could win if it targeted Sif but without an ally to aim for Artorias would be in complete control of the situation.
"Be well then, neither of us wants to see you go hollow."-Andre of Astora
If you are having problems on the forum feel free to send me a PM.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife
While the Greatsword of Artorias is stronger, I would consider the fact that the Abyss Greatsword has the power of the abyss, would probably multiple the damage done by a considerable amount. Surely at least enough to be somewhat stronger.

And with the greatshield, All it would probably take is one hit and then it stops blocking damage fully.

At least those are my beliefs.

SirArchmage

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 584.00
Soul of Stray Demon wrote:While the Greatsword of Artorias is stronger, I would consider the fact that the Abyss Greatsword has the power of the abyss, would probably multiple the damage done by a considerable amount. Surely at least enough to be somewhat stronger.

And with the greatshield, All it would probably take is one hit and then it stops blocking damage fully.

A Greatshield that is made purely to fight things of the Abyss would be rendered useless after simply one hit from something that nearly all their power is from the Abyss? I am not sure where the logic there is.

Likewise about the Greatswords, it is pure destructive force versus a specialized weapon for killing Abyssal creatures and things that threaten the gods. Since most of the armor that Abyss Artorias will have is just protection from the Abyss since his armor is corroded, and with the GSoA being made to harm things of the Abyss, there is a damage boost there.

As for Pure Artorias's armor would be in full condition, and with the Abyss Greatsword only being brute force, the armor Pure Artorias has will be effective against it.

Also, I agree with Tolvo. Artorias has no known weaknesses, while we can pick out the weaknesses of the Abyss Artorias.
"Do not reply back on this thread. Any future apologies will be ignored. You have been warned."
-Satan 2014

"I'll remove this when you remove your signature."
-Satan upon negative repping me 3 points, 2014
SirArchmage wrote:
Soul of Stray Demon wrote:While the Greatsword of Artorias is stronger, I would consider the fact that the Abyss Greatsword has the power of the abyss, would probably multiple the damage done by a considerable amount. Surely at least enough to be somewhat stronger.

A Greatshield that is made purely to fight things of the Abyss would be rendered useless after simply one hit from something that nearly all their power is from the Abyss? I am not sure where the logic there is.

Likewise about the Greatswords, it is pure destructive force versus a specialized weapon for killing Abyssal creatures and things that threaten the gods. Since most of the armor that Abyss Artorias will have is just protection from the Abyss since his armor is corroded, and with the GSoA being made to harm things of the Abyss, there is a damage boost there.

As for Pure Artorias's armor would be in full condition, and with the Abyss Greatsword only being brute force, the armor Pure Artorias has will be effective against it.

Also, I agree with Tolvo. Artorias has no known weaknesses, while we can pick out the weaknesses of the Abyss Artorias.
Not useless, just not full block anymore.

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Souls: 1,009.00
Bank: 462.03
Wiki Edits: 189
But why Stray is there any founding for that?
"Be well then, neither of us wants to see you go hollow."-Andre of Astora
If you are having problems on the forum feel free to send me a PM.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife
Tolvo wrote:But why Stray is there any founding for that?
The very fact that the abyss weakened the shield. I would think it happened over time, so one hit, would maybe make it only reduce damage by 99% then. Something like that.