Souls: 482.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Watch this or suffer a painful death.

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 5,264.00
Wiki Edits: 4
Seeing as how this thread isn't picking up very well, let's go with some more introductory things to get people talking.

First off, our anime backgrounds.  Write a list or describe it in a paragraph, it doesn't really matter, just let us all get an idea for what you've seen and enjoy about this medium Image

Instead of writing on and on about personal tastes and examples of them, I'll just start off with a list of things I've seen and enjoyed (excluding childhood shows such as DBZ and Pokemon that I watched before I knew what anime really was) hoping that doing so will provide perspective on my tastes via example.

[spoiler=In no particular order]Neon Genesis Evangelion
Full Metal Panic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Hikaru no Go
Great Teacher Onizuka
Sword Art Online
Accel World
Genshiken
Black Lagoon
Claymore
Code Geass
Death Note
Eureka Seven
The World God Only Knows
Air Gear
Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple (or whichever variation of the title you're familiar with as it's been translated multiple ways)
Trigun
Hellsing Ultimate
D. Gray Man
Bakemonogatari (still working on the followup series to this one though...)
Berserk (the movies they've made, still haven't seen the original series)
Buso Renkin
Clannad
Desert Punk
Elfen Lied
Fullmetal Alchemist
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
Soul Eater

There are others I've seen but may not have been too impressed by (aka don't remember them well, if at all), so I didn't include those.[/spoiler]

How about you all? What all kinds of shows do you like?
A system error occurred during event movement.
A system error occurred during event movement...

WhatDoesThePendantDo

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 1,804.31
How about a thread introducing anime to newbies? Such as shows that are palatable to the untrained eye; speaking as someone who has an open mind to anime but has almost no experience with it I can say that it can all seem rather overwhelming. Anime-heads seem to exist on a different plane where they are already expert connoisseurs of the medium, there seems to be very little room for the uninitiated to enter the subculture.

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:How about a thread introducing anime to newbies? Such as shows that are palatable to the untrained eye; speaking as someone who has an open mind to anime but has almost no experience with it I can say that it can all seem rather overwhelming. Anime-heads seem to exist on a different plane where they are already expert connoisseurs of the medium, there seems to be very little room for the uninitiated to enter the subculture.

There really isn't any "entry point" if you ask me. Just find a show that sounds interesting and start watching it Image

There are some shows that aren't great to start out with since you'd need some understanding of the tropes and culture around the medium to appreciate fully (stuff like Genshiken comes to mind). Other than those you can start anywhere based on what kind of shows you like (action, comedy, drama, etc).

We could start this being a suggestion thread for newcomers to ask for what shows to start on though. Let people say what genre/mix of genres they like and let the more experienced watchers come up with recommendations Image

Ostrava34

Casual
Convict

Souls: 8.00
I'm more of a mecha nut though - so here's my list:

All the Gundam series, movies and OAV's
All the Macross series, movies and OAV's
Robotech [Yes, Robotech]
All three Patlabor Movies
Berserk - the anime series and Movies [the manga's further along in terms of plot though]
Zone of the Enders 2167: Idolo
Zone of the Enders: Dolores; I
Code Geass
Record Of Lodoss War
Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
Lensman
Samurai Champloo
Ghost in the Shell [The first movie as well as Standalone Complex and 2nd gig]
Voltron [Does this count?]
UFO Grandizer
Voltes V
Gunbuster
Gunbuster 2
Space Warship Yoko Yamamoto
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Mai-Otome
Fate/Stay Night
Fate Zero
Carnival Phantasm
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Thunder Jet
Shingeki No Kyojin
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Shadow Skill
Samurai X
Flame of Recca
Mardock Scramble
Blue Submarine #6
Speedgrapher
Gunslinger Girl
Fam and Ihrie
Slayers

Just to name a few.

LunarFog

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 0.00
Reaperfan wrote:
WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:How about a thread introducing anime to newbies? Such as shows that are palatable to the untrained eye; speaking as someone who has an open mind to anime but has almost no experience with it I can say that it can all seem rather overwhelming. Anime-heads seem to exist on a different plane where they are already expert connoisseurs of the medium, there seems to be very little room for the uninitiated to enter the subculture.

There really isn't any "entry point" if you ask me.  Just find a show that sounds interesting and start watching it Image

ReaperFan is completely right.I may not be the biggest anime connoisseurs but I have watched countless of them.  There's no overwhelming experience about it.  Just find an anime you like and watch it.  it's like finding a video game to play or a movie to watch.  

Anime-heads are just normal people who have watched a lot of anime and can talk about them and others.

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Souls: 1,009.00
Bank: 527.03
Wiki Edits: 189
He may also mean the ones that come off less creepy or freakish to people.  While in many anime it may be acceptable for a little girl to be sexualized, a lot of people not into anime would probably be really bothered by such a thing.  Just stuff that culturally people who don't watch anime would be more accepting of, simpler concepts without some of the stranger parts of anime.  Because I'll be frank, when I see little girls in tight outfits it is very off-putting and can completely stop me from watching a show.  It's one of the reasons I can't withstand Tohou.
"Be well then, neither of us wants to see you go hollow."-Andre of Astora
If you are having problems on the forum feel free to send me a PM.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Tolvo wrote:He may also mean the ones that come off less creepy or freakish to people.  While in many anime it may be acceptable for a little girl to be sexualized, a lot of people not into anime would probably be really bothered by such a thing.  Just stuff that culturally people who don't watch anime would be more accepting of, simpler concepts without some of the stranger parts of anime.  Because I'll be frank, when I see little girls in tight outfits it is very off-putting and can completely stop me from watching a show.  It's one of the reasons I can't withstand Tohou.

While it is disturbing to see actual children characters sexualized in any way in any medium, it is honestly very rare for the characters that are sexualized in anime to be actual children. The majority of the time it's the inherent art and drawing style of the medium that makes characters look younger than they are combined with the popularity of the "moe" archetype which is when a character is written to have an incredibly innocent, naive, and/or weak disposition in an attempt to make the audience more attached to the character by making them cute.

Depending on your definition of what age someone stops being "little" this could vary, but in all the anime I've seen I've never seen (or at least remember) any character younger than 14 years old sexualized in any way, and then it's usually in a very toned down manner without anything truly gratuitous. Only when characters become 16+ (the approximate average, or at least stereotypically believed, age real life teens start becoming more open with sexuality) do the character designs start showing signs of explicitness.

The only exception that comes up often enough to be a problem is when a Harem anime has the token "little girl" of the group shown to have more than just a "little sister-like" attachment to the protagonist. It's mostly because of this that I believe the Harem genre to be one of the two genres that would be bad starting points for a newcomer. Until you're used to the style of the medium and can differentiate between a character that is an actual child and a character who is merely child-like, and when you can identify differentiating patterns that show when sexuality is being used honestly or for comedic effect it can be jarring to see certain traits applied to very young characters.

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Souls: 1,009.00
Bank: 527.03
Wiki Edits: 189
What I'm saying is if, even if they are a thousand year old demon in the body of a child, it is sexualizing a childish form.  "Oh man that's disgusting, that little girl is in her underwear and they're making her lean over."  "Oh no it's cool, she's actually a mutant that stays in the form of a child, but she's really 21."  "....She's got pig tails, and teddy bear underwear."  "It's an adult dammit!"  It is attraction to the actual physical form that is an issue for many.  There is attraction to a personality, and attraction to a body.  Attraction to a childish mind, or a childish body, is still disturbing to many.  

Inuyasha, generally considered a good starter since it has a lot of themes that are cross cultural while also being pretty simple, has the character Kagome.  She is heavily sexualized throughout, naked bathing, people peeping, being captured naked, people trying to **** her, and a lot of the artwork is designed to entice you.  She's 15 years old.  She wears a school girl uniform with a short skirt, etc.  Perhaps I've just had bad luck, but in nearly every anime I've seen, there are often sexualized young girls.  To me it just seems like a standard of the genre.

Now that's not to say it's the only culture with its taboos.  While in say, America the sexualization of a child is frowned upon blowing a dude's head off with a shotgun is A-Ok.  Every group have those things that are taboo to other groups.
"Be well then, neither of us wants to see you go hollow."-Andre of Astora
If you are having problems on the forum feel free to send me a PM.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife