Discuss the Witcher III and its wiki, share tips, discuss expansions and DLC!
Wiki: Visit the Witcher 3 Wiki

Cerce

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,249.00
Alternate title would be "Yennefer is always hiding something and Triss always cares".

This is a good game, it is, very good, great visuals, graphics, enticing universe, mostly good characters that can be really captivating, like Lambert, Keira, Bloody Baron and many of the DLC characters. But there are multiple moments along it that severely detract from the overall experience, mainly the romances, I constantly see people talking about how in this game you can "fall in love" and have "meaningful relationships" with the other characters, I just don't see it. Are the gaming community's standards for romance so low that we actually praise ham-fisted love stories with one dimensional characters that appear to have been intentionally written with the objective of epitomising TVTropes pages?

Yennefer is best described as a pathological liar, multiple occasions where she could've simply explained what you have to do or get or the objectives, explain anything about what you're doing, she decides to hide it, even the most basic information from which she has nothing to gain by keeping to herself and everything to gain by disclosing she'd rather not talk. If this was ever addressed as something about her, a trauma, even just lightly lampshaded, it might've gotten a pass, but characters just seem to go with it and be mildly annoyed. Geralt's relationship with her also makes no sense. I've been told that in the books she's an interesting character, and their relationship is convoluted not just because "OMG you slept with my friend, I don't care if you had no memory", but that just isn't shown in the game. If anything it makes no sense why would a simple guy that actively avoid politics and conspitacies like Geralt would go for a power-hungry manipulator like her.

There will be spoilers in the nest paragraph.

Triss cares. That it. She sacrifices herself, she does it a bit more and when she can't do it she does it again. When she kills the torturer she just brushes it off like "whatever", she sets fire to the witch hunter's HQ she walks away not caring what else will it spread to or if anyone else is in there. Does anyone notice how she seems to be mildly psychopathic? But no, she's just very caring. Once again, I'm told that in he books she manipulated Geralt into loving her, or alters his memory, don't quite remember, but that's not even mentioned here. She serves as a sort of anti manic pixie dream girl, who gets our free spirited hero to settle down and take up a more peaceful life, and she's willing to wait for that to happen as long as it takes for that to happen because she loves him, how boring is that? Uninteresting, devoid of conflict. How is this a good love story when it's all about a girl waiting around for a guy to finish his job and come home so they can be together? This is some Call of Duty level plot, written for military buffs as some sort of wish fulfilment fantasy.

Spoilers galore ahead!

Even good characters like Lambert have sudden fits of crappy exposition like near the end of the game when he talks about his father issues and how he went back and "YOU WANNA HEAR WHAT I DID TO HIM WHEN I WENT BACK?!?!" I could swear that was some sort of Linkin Park and Monster Energy drink fueled fanfic written by a mid-2000s angsty teen.

This is a rant, I have no point to make. Tell me how I'm wrong or if you agree with me... or don't.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 477.00
Bank: 5,914.00
Wiki Edits: 5
to be fair i don't view any romance as believable.

FiveScissors475

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 1,211.70
Bank: 18,669.00
Wiki Edits: 221
qeter wrote:to be fair i don't view any romance as believable.

The realism is strong with this one.
Sad doggo

Serious_Much

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Souls: 2,231.00
Bank: 7,404.66
Wiki Edits: 22
Triss cares, it's just she's always been written as the one who is put aside for others, and suffered long in hope of being with Geralt. Canon romance in 1 is with shani due to their history, and in 2 Geralt leaves Triss at the end to go in search of Yen.

She didn't do any magic, as much as she didn't tell Geralt about Yen because she wanted him while he had lost his memory.

Yen is written as finding it difficult to open up to Geralt, and also as being very much dominant over him in their relationship. I agree she doesn't tell the truth to Geralt enough, and she's not honest about her relationship with him until late on in the game. She doesn't know if she can trust how she feels because it may be the result of some kind of magic, which makes her push him away.

I can't lie, I wouldn't say any of that is poorly written. Maybe it's a tad ridiculous how much Triss pines for Geralt, but it's not like I'd dismiss it as terribly made.
"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"
Forum Guidelines- Have a peek
Shop IconShop Icon

AngryFrozenWater

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 1,571.00
Bank: 0.00
Romance is, of course, optional in TW3. If you don't like it then avoid it.

That said I'm a fan of Triss and really don't like Yeneffer. Fans of the books will probably crucify me for that, but I'm the one playing the game.

If you have the Blood and Wine expansion, avoided romance with Triss or Yeneffer, and have the good or bittersweet ending in the main game then the ending of Blood and Wine will have a nice surprise. :)
"There is a high statistical probability of death by gunshot. A punch to the face is also likely." - Legion.

VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,557.00
Wiki Edits: 25927
Frankly the first book's use of sexuality is worse, I find the games toned down from it. I swear every monster in the Last Wish is a woman scorned, and every other woman is described as emotional and tempestuous with Geralt the ever befuddled to their ways. The wizard with the garden of nude women was about the breaking point for me to stop reading.
This site is a bonfire. Thank you all for kindling it. "No rest for the wikid."- the eldritch wisdom of Skarekrow13

Gaming News, Guides & Reviews / Gaming Wikis / Join VIP
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy, and explain Triss and Geralt's relationship as described in the books.

Triss had a crush on Geralt, it got pretty big, then Geralt and Yen split up (like they do ever so often) and Triss used magic to seduce him.

Yen and Geralt also have their destiny's intertwined with Ciri so I gotta go with Yen everytime..

I could see why someone who didn't read the books and played the first two games would prefer Triss, though. Yen deserved more screen time than being your partner for some missions, and during those missions she was quite pushy and non-transparent.

FiveScissors475

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 1,211.70
Bank: 18,669.00
Wiki Edits: 221
I see Yennifer's and Geralt's relationship as what the the games describe it: A relationship forced by a genie. Something that simply wasn't meant to be. This is exactly why Geralt "wouldn't go for her", because he wouldn't. It's a relationship built upon catastrophe on top of catastrophe, and the lying just showcases how dysfunctional it is and will ever be. It's something borderline masochistic, dependent on lust. But the human mind is masochistic.

I find the relationship with Triss to be something of a crack at what love is in real life. Two people who don't have many reasons to get into conflict entering a relation through the force of propinquity. There is no tangible, burning passion. But it's as real as 'love' gets.
Sad doggo

fchopin

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 175.00
Cerce wrote:Alternate title would be "Yennefer is always hiding something and Triss always cares".
Yennefer is best described as a pathological liar, multiple occasions where she could've simply explained what you have to do or get or the objectives, explain anything about what you're doing, she decides to hide it, even the most basic information from which she has nothing to gain by keeping to herself and everything to gain by disclosing she'd rather not talk.

Telling people that you will not tell them something has nothing to do with lying so your definition of Yennefer as a pathological liar is not correct.

AngryFrozenWater

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 1,571.00
fchopin wrote:
Cerce wrote:Alternate title would be "Yennefer is always hiding something and Triss always cares".
Yennefer is best described as a pathological liar, multiple occasions where she could've simply explained what you have to do or get or the objectives, explain anything about what you're doing, she decides to hide it, even the most basic information from which she has nothing to gain by keeping to herself and everything to gain by disclosing she'd rather not talk.

Telling people that you will not tell them something has nothing to do with lying so your definition of Yennefer as a pathological liar is not correct.

I agree. But not telling her plans doesn't make her more charming. She does this over and over again. If anything, it feels more like a trust issue to me.

She does have a soft side, but in general I wonder if it was just the work of the djinn that kept Geralt and Yeneffer together in the past.
"There is a high statistical probability of death by gunshot. A punch to the face is also likely." - Legion.