Gya

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 55.00
***UPDATED 05/03/16***
- Altered active abilities slightly
- Added new gameplay demo
- Added a bit of advice for solo play

Thanks to the Trespasser DLC, there are some nice new additions to difficulty in the form of Trials, but to counteract that, some glorious new ability upgrades and silly gear to help make us even more OP. This is just a Reaver build that I’ve been using to take into account the changes since Trespasser and patch 1.10.

The build is “complete” at level 22 for non-humans (with 2 amulets of power and the inquisition perk). It is, however, “fully operational” from about level 15, everything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

Gameplay Demos:

Soloing Gurd Harofsen (NM/All Trials). Gurd can kiss my ring.

"Complete" build in Jaws of Hakkon.

Level 16 solo vs Highland Ravager (level 23) - NM + all trials:

Level 12 pre-dragon rage gameplay:

Build:

Skill Bar:

Dragon Rage, Devour, Combat Roll, Charging Bull, Livid, Horn of Valor, Block and Slash, Grappling Chain/Aegis of the Rift

Skill Trees:

Spoiler

Gear:

Spoiler

Strategy:

Basically, charge into a group of enemies. Pop a livid and horn of valor as stamina allows. Then combat roll/ dragon rage spam. Keep an eye on your health, and once it gets very low, use devour. Then continue to “rage’n’roll”. The best amount of health is below 50% so the belt of urgency kicks in.

Soloing:

Spoiler

Probably nothing new there for the old hats, but hopefully helpful to any newcomers considering a warrior build. Sure, it’s no match for a rogue, but it’s kinda fun :D

PapaCharlie9

Revived
Savior

Souls: 417.00
Wiki Edits: 35

Combat Roll + Coming Through – 250% weapon damage on a 2s cooldown, for 20 stamina…. Erm… Sure, that’s not broken at all…. This is utter cheese, and I love it.

Testing suggests that 250% is wrong. It's more like 500%.  So more like double cheeseburger with supersized fries.   =]

Gya

Hollowed
Redeemer

Testing suggests that 250% is wrong. It's more like 500%.  So more like double cheeseburger with supersized fries.   =]

Damn now I'm hungry.... Those fries better be drizzled in Monterey Jack Cheese with bacon bits.....

Thanks for the tip, I completely forgot about that.  :D

Poor Highland Ravager- he gets killed so often in videos.

Love Reaver. An accessory that really helped me- especially in the DLC's- the Amulet of Death Syphon- found in EMprise Du Lion- just the other side of Judicael's Crossing. You get health and stamina when enemies nearby die- which they tend to do often. Gives you the ability to use a masterowrk on your weapon other than a healing one. Just an idea. Otherwise- good build.

Just like play Darksoul series, Attack->attack->Roll then repeat...lol

Gya

Hollowed
Redeemer

Poor Highland Ravager- he gets killed so often in videos.

Love Reaver. An accessory that really helped me- especially in the DLC's- the Amulet of Death Syphon- found in EMprise Du Lion- just the other side of Judicael's Crossing. You get health and stamina when enemies nearby die- which they tend to do often. Gives you the ability to use a masterowrk on your weapon other than a healing one. Just an idea. Otherwise- good build.

That's a good suggestion. I've been using the superb amulet of renewal, since my main concern is stamina constraints; not sure how many enemies I'd have to kill for amulet of death syphon to give an equivalent stamina return. But using the Amulet of Death Syphon, would free up a HoK ring that I'm currently using. Not that I have any decent rings to use in its place, but a superb crit chance ring would be nice.

My masterworks at the moment are 5x Hidden Blades and 3 guard on hit.

pre skyhold which skills would you go for first ? only play thru has been a rog  and I'm not so sure what skills and passives to snag first with this build. id be the only war  in team (me,2mages,varric) so I'm picturing vanguard skills asap, how would u recommend it after that ?

Gya

Hollowed
Redeemer

pre skyhold which skills would you go for first ? only play thru has been a rog and I'm not so sure what skills and passives to snag first with this build. id be the only war in team (me,2mages,varric) so I'm picturing vanguard skills asap, how would u recommend it after that ?

It depends slightly on difficulty and whether or not you'll have trials on. Generally, early game, without decent gear, I would advise against tanking as a 2 handed warrior, if you're running NM + trials. I personally took Cass/Blackwall, Varric and Solas/Dorian for my pre-skyhold shenanigans. I'm sure it can be done, but I haven't tried it personally :D

I prioritised charging bull for the knockdown (CC is vital early on), and then went for upgraded grappling chain and then combat roll + coming through, so I could start dishing out damage. Block and slash is extremely useful as well, especially against shield mooks. Between charging bull and block and slash and grappling chain, you will have plenty of knockdowns to keep enemies on their butts.

If you are gonna be the sole warrior pre-Skyhold, you might want to grab the defensive passives from the sword and shield tree (they work even if you have a 2h weapon equipped), they can mitigate the lack of armour early on. The problem is that they take a lot of ability points which means you won't be providing much CC or DPS.

Hope that was helpful, I'm sure some other more knowledgeable people can comment in more detail on running without Blackwall/Cass pre-Skyhold.

ty gya, after thinking it over one last time and you confirming I'm gonna take cass. this build is way awesome too gimp by refusing to take a tank. I really look forward to playing this. ty for sharing

PapaCharlie9

Revived
Savior

Souls: 417.00
Wiki Edits: 35
Let me put in a vote for these five points in Battlemaster:

1/ Grappling Chain
2/ Crippling Blows
3/ Coup de Grace
4/ Horn of Valor
5/ Fortifying Blast

Set HoV to Preferred and watch the whole party gain full guard.

You can do this with just one Warrior. Yes, it does deprive them of other active abilities, but for early game, auto-attacks are enough. In fact, my early game build for Cass is the above, plus Shield Wall and Challenge. That's it.