Blood_Mage_Reaver

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 79.00

So I was dusting of my Knight Enchanter and decided to make her look like the cover Inquisitor for lulz, hence I crafted a Masterwork Blade of Tidarion with Dragon Bone for a flaming sword and added a Suberb Frost Rune to give it elemental neutralization.

As it turns out, the game treats the rune as a second weapon and instead of just adding ice damage it doubles the damage calculation for all of my spells.

Not only that, when you use Energy Barrage it summons 24 projectiles (12 of fire and 12 of ice) for hillarious mayhem.

Can someone else try it out and confirm this exploit?

Dabrikishaw

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 94.00

Give me a second.

EDIT: The twin elemental Energy Barrage works, though I can't tell if there's 12 or 24 of them.

PapaCharlie9

Revived
Savior

Souls: 417.00
Wiki Edits: 35
We finally have dual wielding for a class other than rogue! ;)

Blood_Mage_Reaver

Addicted
First Warden

Give me a second.

EDIT: The twin elemental Energy Barrage works, though I can't tell if there's 12 or 24 of them.

Wicked! I am totally turning my Rift Mage into a ninja now!

Dabrikishaw

Compulsory Poster
Champion

For damage testing I crafted 2 Blades of Tidarion with tier 2 mats. One with fire damage and a basic ice rune, the other with fire damage and no ice rune. Both posses 18% crit chance, 18% attack, and 30% Barrier damage. Dorian and his Walking Bomb+Concentrated Detonation are used on Quilbacks for testing. All are level 15. Playing on Normal Difficulty.

Fire Blade no Ice rune: 1844 with critical damage. 1317 non crit damage.

Fire Blade with Ice Rune: 1328 non crit damage. Second non crit attack was 1359. Third non crit attack was 1359.

I was way too tired to do all this last night, so I saved it for morning.

PapaCharlie9

Revived
Savior

For damage testing I crafted 2 Blades of Tidarion with tier 2 mats. One with fire damage and a basic ice rune, the other with fire damage and no ice rune. Both posses 18% crit chance, 18% attack, and 30% Barrier damage. Dorian and his Walking Bomb+Concentrated Detonation are used on Quilbacks for testing. All are level 15. Playing on Normal Difficulty.

Fire Blade no Ice rune: 1844 with critical damage. 1317 non crit damage.
Fire Blade with Ice Rune: 1328 non crit damage. Second non crit attack was 1359. Third non crit attack was 1359.

Um, I don't understand. Is the rune case three separate attacks? Or the result of a single WB that resulted in three different damage numbers being shown? If so, which of the three was the ice damage?

If it is three separate attacks with WB, does this mean there is no doubling as previously thought? The three values don't look like 2x 1317.

What's the base damage of the weapon? T2 should yield 65.

Dabrikishaw

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I did 3 separate Walking Bomb detonations with Dorian on the same Quilback using a save/relaod to keep the Quilback around. Those numbers are meant to represent 3 single targets being damaged, and all of that damage was Spirit Elemental.

I crafted 2 Blades of Tidarion using Bloodstone, so both had 73 base weapon damage. I gave one of the blades a basic Ice Rune, so that one has 85 base weapon damage and 10 AOE Cold Damage.

PapaCharlie9

Revived
Savior

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I did 3 separate Walking Bomb detonations with Dorian on the same Quilback using a save/relaod to keep the Quilback around. Those numbers are meant to represent 3 single targets being damaged, and all of that damage was Spirit Elemental.

I crafted 2 Blades of Tidarion using Bloodstone, so both had 73 base weapon damage. I gave one of the blades a basic Ice Rune, so that one has 85 base weapon damage and 10 AOE Cold Damage.

Okay, I get it. Some maths:

final_damage = (base_damage * rand(0.95 to 1.05) - armor * (1 - armor_penetration))    * (ability_multiplier)    * (1 + critical_damage_bonus + flanking_bonus)    * (1 + attack_bonus + damage_multiplier + type_bonus)    * (1 - magic_resistance)
base_damage = 73
armor = i don't know for Quillback, probably not zero, but ignore for now
ability_multiplier = 900% = 9.0 (Walking Bomb/Concentrated Detonation)
critical_damage_bonus = let's ignore this for now
attack_bonus = 18% = 0.18
everything else is 0
we'll ignore the random stuff too

final_damage = 73 * 9.0 * (1 + 0.18) = 73 * 9.0 * 1.18 = 657

So that would be consistent with doubling the damage, but that's the no rune case! 2x 657 is 1314, right on the money, assuming Quillbacks have no armor.

The rune doesn't seem to make that much difference. It isn't making the base damage 85 (or else the expected damage would be 902, or 1804 doubled). Both the rune and no rune cases have approximately the same damage level, 1350ish vs 1317 respectively.

It's broken, but it may be broken in many different ways, not just by adding a rune.

Blood_Mage_Reaver

Addicted
First Warden

Okay, I get it. Some maths:

final_damage = (base_damage * rand(0.95 to 1.05) - armor * (1 - armor_penetration))    * (ability_multiplier)    * (1 + critical_damage_bonus + flanking_bonus)    * (1 + attack_bonus + damage_multiplier + type_bonus)    * (1 - magic_resistance)
base_damage = 73
armor = i don't know for Quillback, probably not zero, but ignore for now
ability_multiplier = 900% = 9.0 (Walking Bomb/Concentrated Detonation)
critical_damage_bonus = let's ignore this for now
attack_bonus = 18% = 0.18
everything else is 0
we'll ignore the random stuff too

final_damage = 73 * 9.0 * (1 + 0.18) = 73 * 9.0 * 1.18 = 657

So that would be consistent with doubling the damage, but that's the no rune case! 2x 657 is 1314, right on the money, assuming Quillbacks have no armor.

The rune doesn't seem to make that much difference. It isn't making the base damage 85 (or else the expected damage would be 902, or 1804 doubled). Both the rune and no rune cases have approximately the same damage level, 1350ish vs 1317 respectively.

It's broken, but it may be broken in many different ways, not just by adding a rune.

Yeah, I made more tests today and the rune doesn't do double the damage. It is still cool to fire a double barrage though, makes the Amplified Blade upgrade redundant and acts pretty much like a massive aggro burst when used with Energy Storm.

TLDR for those of us who aren't math majors :) - the Blade of Tidarion appears to add a bit of elemental damage from the Rune (Fire/Ice/Lightning) which will give a higher damage output if the enemy is vulnerable to the rune. That seem accurate? I tried this in the Frostback Basin on some gurguts. A BoT made from Dragon Bone and a Superb Frost Rune did about 4k damage on a Barrage. A Dragon Bone Encore Staff with Superb Spirit Rune did maybe 3k. If the Gurgut were Spirit Vulnerable- that number would be higher.