According to Origin I've played this game for 1266 hours, the majority of that in single player.

The class I've played over and over again is the Assassin, which I play partially because I enjoy it, and partially because I think it's the best DPS class in the game. 

Why should I play the Assassin over any other class/specialization in the game?

Knife in the Shadows. When utilized correctly, the Assassin is always in stealth, and thus has basically 100% critical chance all the time. This puts them ahead of other classes, who have to build up their critical chance to get access to their critical damage. The assassin can put everything into attack% critical damage% and flanking damage% ignoring critical chance.

Non Focus related burst. Other classes need to use focus related abilities like thousand cuts to keep up with an assassin's dps. And while the assassin can use mark of the rift to keep targets in place while they wail on them, it's not really required. 

Here is a video of me doing ~700k damage in a couple seconds in game time

Full Build  (This build assumes you get the extra talent amulet in Crestwood as well as the Exclusive Training perk from the wartable)

1. Stealth - Twin Fangs (All races start with two abilities at level 1)

2. Flank Attack

3. Skirmisher

4. Ripping Fangs

5. Clinging Shadows

6. Dance of Death

7. Sneak Attack

8. Deathblow

9. Thrill of Victory

10. Hidden Blades

11. Overkill

12. I Was Never Here

13. Knife In the Shadows

14. Mark of Death

15. Caltrops

16. Looks Like it Hurt

17. Mark of Doom

18. Cheap Shot

19. Evasion

20. Evade

21. Ambush

22. Shadow Step

23. First Blood

24. Explosive Shot

25. Pincushion

26. Throwing Blades - Precision Targeting

27. Throat Cutter - Gaps in the Armor

Bound Abilities

Twin Fangs - Flank Attack - Stealth - Death Blow - Evade - Throwing Blades* - Hidden Blades - Mark of Death 

*Replace with Mark of the Rift if you have stored focus and want to use it on a boss

Gear

Main Hand - Stone Stalker's Blade Schematic ( Slotted with: Imbued Tusket Hide, Ice Dragon Bone, Masterwork: Critical Crafting Bonus) 

Offhand - Bosun's Blade (Unique Dagger - Reward from Locate Heretic Sister)

Helm - Cretahl Vitaar (qunari only) or Superior Skirimsher Schematic (Slotted with Ice Dragon Hide)

Chest - Superior Battlemage Armor Schematic - Upgraded With Battlemage Armor Arms and Legs (Slotted with Avaar Cotton and Ice Dragon Hide in the utility slots) Masterwork: Imperial Vestement Cotton (Walking Bomb)

Sigil - Deepstalker Sigil (Can be obtained as a trials reward)

Rings - Superior Critical Damage Ring x2

Belt - Belt Belt of Urgency or a Increased Tonic Capacity Belt, The Bind that Guides is good too in Trespasser. 

Necklace - Malika's Guard or Superior Amulet of Dexterity. I am not sure which is better. 

Other Tips and My Notes

- Mighty Offense Tonic is needed to push your damage to the next level. Upgrade this asap and carry a lot on you. It only costs 1 elfroot and 1 embrium to make and you can buy both.

- The DW rogue brings damage in spades, but requires careful management. Bring companions that can take care of themselves or better, improve your damage. 

- Using an ability that puts you into stealth when you're already in stealth does weird things. Be sure to wait until your stealth effect ends, and then use another ability that puts you back into stealth.

- I can get to Gaps in the Armor without having to go through knockout bomb from the Mark of Death side. That is why the build does not take Knockout Bomb

- Why were you low on health in the Vid? Belt of Urgency only gives you animation speed at half health. 

-Dales Loden Wool allows you remove restriction on Gear, allowing you to use mage gear that has the largest dexerity bonus in the game 

PapaCharlie9

Revived
Savior

Souls: 417.00
Wiki Edits: 35
Nice vid (who doesn't like to seeing 434013 as a damage number?) and interesting build. I'd suggest adding a note explaining the Archery abilities towards the end. Maybe say which passive you are really after and why that's good for a DW.

Questions:

Why Clinging Shadows? Doesn't that bug out your Flank Attack/Skirmisher free move to stealth? It does for me. Maybe that's what you meant by one of your notes, but you don't really have a choice with Skirmisher.

Why Throwing Blades/Precision Targeting so late? Most people take that as early as they possibly can. Unless this is intended as a level capped build from the get-go?

Ditto Looks Like It Hurt.

Opinion (worth what you paid for it):

I don't think the [Guide] tag should be on this thread. I've got nothing against build posts and have done some myself, but I don't think they rise to the level of a guide, like http://forum.bioware...mbat-mechanics/ or http://forum.bioware...pgrade-toggles/ that I refer to just about every day for some obscure detail of mechanics.

Why Clinging Shadows? Doesn't that bug out your Flank Attack/Skirmisher free move to stealth? It does for me. Maybe that's what you meant by one of your notes, but you don't really have a choice with Skirmisher.

It only has wonky effects if you try to enter stealth while already in stealth, the most common effect is that it will kick you out of stealth and put both abilities on cooldown. Just don't do that. 

Skirmisher works with Clinging Shadows. I do it in the vid but it's hard to see because there is a dragon in the way.

Why Throwing Blades/Precision Targeting so late? Most people take that as early as they possibly can. Unless this is intended as a level capped build from the get-go?

I think the ability is lower tier than Mark of Death, Hidden Blades, Flank Attack, Twin Fangs and Deathblow. The latter three are on an 8 second cooldown at most. The DW rogue is never hurting for abilities to use so I don't need to take filler. 

I don't like the ability because it's not a detonator, it has an immobile duration which I find is annoying and the damage is worse than, say twin fangs or deathblow. I take it eventually because why not, carrying a focus ability on your actives when you don't blow it every other fight is a waste and I wanted 8 abilities. 

With my most generous estimate it's a 650% weapon damage ability on a 12 second cooldown. It's 1.5x the cooldown of Twin Fangs for less damage and no knockdown or detonation. Lame. 

Ditto Looks Like It Hurt.

Looks like it hurt doesn't get use for me until I get access to decent critical chance which means I need Knife in the Shadows. I get it soon after in the build. Having the passive beforehand is a waste. 

Plus I mean, how much stamina are you using? You restore stamina on autos which is fairly quickly for a DW rogue and you get stamina back on kill with Dance of Death. 

I don't think the [Guide] tag should be on this thread. I've got nothing against build posts and have done some myself, but I don't think they rise to the level of a guide, like http://forum.bioware...mbat-mechanics/ or http://forum.bioware...pgrade-toggles/ that I refer to just about every day for some obscure detail of mechanics.

Done. Thanks for the heads up. 

Another dragon killing guide, it was interesting year ago, now we have new bosses. How about hakonites or battle with gurd harofsen, on nightmare with trials, live the poor lizard alone.

Another dragon killing guide, it was interesting year ago, now we have new bosses. How about hakonites or battle with gurd harofsen, on nightmare with trials, live the poor lizard alone.

How about this

and this

That''s the trials even ground ravager, with  one of the highest health pool in the game.. And you respond with what? A video of you struggling to do defeat a normal mob. 

Literally nothing in the game can stand up to the damage presented in the video. The boss is irrelevant. The point is not to show a dragon dying but how fast the damage of a properly built DW rogue can demolish anything in the game.

I'm insulted. Should I be impressed with that video? Your hidden blades barely does 1.7k per hit. Mine does over 20k. My Mark of the Rift ticks do more. And you thought it was special to show to me? 

God and you took toxic cloud? On a damage character? 

PapaCharlie9

Revived
Savior

Souls: 417.00
Wiki Edits: 35

It only has wonky effects if you try to enter stealth while already in stealth, the most common effect is that it will kick you out of stealth and put both abilities on cooldown. Just don't do that. 

Skirmisher works with Clinging Shadows. I do it in the vid but it's hard to see because there is a dragon in the way.

So you are saying that if I start a Flank Attack/Skirmisher while not in Stealth, it works okay? Isn't that a huge handicap? I thought the point of Flank Attack was to chain them together in a Stealth, maneuver to flank, Flank Attack, repeat loop?

Because what I see when I start in Stealth/Clinging Shadows is that when I do Flank Attack/Skirmisher, I return to Stealth, but only for 3 seconds. Without Clinging Shadows, the free move to Stealth lasts the full duration of a normal Stealth.

So you are saying that if I start a Flank Attack/Skirmisher while not in Stealth, it works okay? Isn't that a huge handicap? I thought the point of Flank Attack was to chain them together in a Stealth, maneuver to flank, Flank Attack, repeat loop?

Because what I see when I start in Stealth/Clinging Shadows is that when I do Flank Attack/Skirmisher, I return to Stealth, but only for 3 seconds. Without Clinging Shadows, the free move to Stealth lasts the full duration of a normal Stealth.

How is it a handicap? It allows you to stay in stealth practically forever and access to auto crits without having any critical chance. Just use the ability when clinging shadows is about to end. It'll end in the animation and then the attack will put you back into stealth. Rinse and repeat. 

Clinging shadows only lasts a couple seconds once you start attacking. It's more than a normal stealth bonus, but it's not like 10 seconds. 

Unless you mean the you aren't attacking and stealth just ends for you with clinging shadows is with skirmisher. It doesn't for me. Skirmisher Stealth acts like it normally does except for when I start attacking and clinging shadows duration makes it last longer. Do you have any way of showing me what you're talking about? It sounds like you're encountering an issue I never have. I've only encountered issues when trying to stealth when under skirmisher stealth. 

Flank attack was never really something to be used from stealth. It's something to put you back into stealth. Flank attack cannot be deflected and it's modifier isn't super great. Unlike Twin Fangs, Deathblow, Hidden Blades and Throwing Blades it doesn't really have a reason to be used from stealth. 

How about this

Hell yeahhhh! But this is not rogue assassin gameplay, nevertheless pretty cool vid.

That''s the trials even ground ravager, with  one of the highest health pool in the game.. And you respond with what? A video of you struggling to do defeat a normal mob. 

I'm not struggling I’m playing with one hand in the other hand cup of coffee and a cigarette.:) And this is not normal mobs this guys are tough.

Literally nothing in the game can stand up to the damage presented in the video. The boss is irrelevant. The point is not to show a dragon dying but how fast the damage of a properly built DW rogue can demolish anything in the game.

I'm insulted. Should I be impressed with that video? Your hidden blades barely does 1.7k per hit. Mine does over 20k. My Mark of the Rift ticks do more. And you thought it was special to show to me?

You see… we all started playing this game in 2014 so wherever secret mechanic you think you know we all know, and yes we all did 10k -50k-100k and so on. Now everyone trying to find new fun way to play this game. Like rayx for example, going solo, I'm the opposite I like to build my party so they can handle themselves without my help, without dying and using health potions, and that's a tricky thing to do. I assure you I can bump up my crit chance to 200 or higher and use leaping shot to obliterate all this mobs in a couple of seconds.

God and you took toxic cloud? On a damage character?

I like toxic cloud it makes me… toxic:) And my character not a damager, I developed new role and called it lazy observer.:)

Relax you overreacting.

Nice vid. Nice build.

Be even better with no pausing.

See MP assassin builds using most of this build and setup. Beastly. High learning curve though. And very gear dependent.

But once you get all the good gear (did I say gear dependent?), an absolute beast. Doubly so if you got a good team.

And no crutching, er, I mean pausing.