By Riven326

DId any of you ever do this? If so, how did you justify it after what Bhelen did to you in the beginning of the game?

By Just My Moniker

I usually sided with Bhelen as the Dwarf noble.

In my head canon, I imagined it as a brother/sister who's lost their entire family, with only their brother left. While they didn't like what Bhelen had done, they couldn't go against their own sibling whom they've known since childhood.

Just how I picture it.

Edit: (I'm terrible at describing things) I also viewed their interactions post-origin, as really heartfelt, with the Warden just wanting to forget the past, and get their brother back.

Also, I avoided having it seem like betraying Harrowmont by choosing the "Say nothing" option at the end (Before youre sent into the Deep Roads), which doesn't grant his dialogue that he believes you didn't kill Trian.

By dragonflight288

DId any of you ever do this? If so, how did you justify it after what Bhelen did to you in the beginning of the game?

Have a son with Mardy and join with Bhelen to get your son off the streets so he avoids the fate of being casteless. 

By springacres

Considering I plan on making my M!Aeducan as nasty as possible... he'd rather have his brother in a position that makes said brother vulnerable to blackmail.  Like, say, being king of Orzammar.

By Riven326

Have a son with Mardy and join with Bhelen to get your son off the streets so he avoids the fate of being casteless. 

You can do the same thing if you pick Harrowmont.

By dragonflight288

You can do the same thing if you pick Harrowmont.

I know, I've done it before.

But that's a good reason for the dwarven noble to side with Bhelen for roleplay reasons as well. 

By TEWR
Posts Posts

I do it primarily because Bioware set up a rather false dichotomoy that's also hamfisted in its narrative direction and thus I'm forced to go with the slightly better option, but I've examined the lore of Orzammar and there's no reason in the world a DN can't reclaim their place in House Aeducan, sabotage Bhelen, and take the throne.

But ignoring my dislike for the DN Paragon of Her Kind narrative and how Bhelen is a hack if you put his actions under a microscope, there are strong reasons to give him the throne.

1) What he did was purely politics and nothing personal.

2) The throne belongs with House Aeducan. Giving it to another House, especially one such as Harrowmont that focuses on appeasement of the Assembly (when that's a dangerous thing considering the Eternal Blight the Dwarves face), would weaken all of Orzammar.

3) Bhelen is willing to expand upon trade with the surface, which is vital to Orzammar's livelihood.

4) He's willing to put a boot down on the Assembly's neck, which is exactly what needs to be done. I don't personally think he's capable of it (actually Inquisition supports my calling him a hack, but it simultaneously still kisses his ***) but that is the course of action needed.

And also, the amount of trust he puts in you basically means that you helped him get the throne so much that he can be seen as rather weak in comparison, more so if you're named Paragon at the end.

By sylvanaerie

On my DN run I only sided with Bhelen up to being able to find the evidence to prove my DN's innocence then sided with Harrowmont.   The only time I've successfully sided with Bhelen and felt good about it was on my DC who was doing it to protect her sister and nephew.  I could see playing a DN who felt Bhelen's actions were "Just part of the politics" and "playing the game well" and finding your own justifications for forgiving him.  

And by game's end, you're a paragon.  Because he is so mediocre, nothing Bhelen will ever do will elevate him beyond that status, he will become just another 'Aeducan king' who's name will be lost to history.

After multiple playthroughs I reached the point where I hated Orzammar and anything to do with the deep roads, dwarves, dwarven politics, Bhelen and the Assembly, so I had less and less investment in the fate of the dwarves.  

And putting Bhelen on the throne gives you an extra side quest in DA2.

By Bardox9

Siding with Bhelen, regardless of your origin story, requires no explanation nor justification but... fine. Given the dwarven culture, from the outset of the Dwarven origin it clear that Harrowmont is too weak to be king. Underhanded back stabbing scum baggerary is the rule of the diamond quarter. Harrowmont is an adviser, not a leader. I don't particularly like the guys style, but Bhelen is a leader. He plays the game better than anyone else.

By riverdaleswhiteflash
Posts Posts

Both of my DNs have sided with Bhelen. I headcanon that the first had insight in what sort of king each would be by living with one and practically living with the other, and that the second didn't care and that the logical premise for how she decided could be summed up as "Aeducan Throne."