VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 266,027.49
Bank: 7,643.71
Wiki Edits: 20206

So, for some reason, we don't have a Game of Thrones discussion thread. This nonsense ends today!

Discuss your theories, ideas, omgs and everything Game of thrones related!

Obvious spoilers in this thread. Do not read this thread if you are not up to date on the series!
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

So to start things off... The next HBO season will start airing before the book is released. How does everyone feel about this? It's the first time that readers will be behind watchers, which is... well, interesting!
Fextralife.com
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

ViralEnsign_

Abyss Dweller
Adyr's Harbringer

Souls: 7,259.75
Fexelea wrote:So to start things off... The next HBO season will start airing before the book is released. How does everyone feel about this? It's the first time that readers will be behind watchers, which is... well, interesting!

As soon as the series started radically diverging from the books I turned it off and since have not bothered to watch the most recent series. Not due to a 'book is always superior to television media' type situation but because I enjoy the reading more than the watching and would rather keep continuity for myself.

GodlessCrom

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 10,417.00
Wiki Edits: 13
I think the series diverges so radically from the books that while I'm certain the series will spoil the books in some way, I feel pretty confident that I will still enjoy the book when (if? :D ) it comes out.

Speaking of the series and books, what do you guys think of some of the changes made by the series? Do they improve it in your opinion, or nay?

For example, the Hound is pretty different in the series than he is in the books: a much more sympathetic character in the series, and more like the "rough warrior with a heart of gold" than the "drunken violent man who doesn't beat little girls, I guess" (his role in the books.) I kinda like it, because I like the Hound and I think it was cool to have him more sympathetic.

On the other hand, Sansa's marriage to Ramsay Snow and her subsequent **** by him was a pretty large divergence from the books, and I thought it didn't necessarily do or add anything interesting other than reinforcing what we already knew: Ramsay sucks. It also made little sense from the point-of-view of Littlefinger (little sense, littlefinger, hur hur hur), who is creepily obsessed with Sansa due to his infatuation with her mother, and I think he would not give her to another man when his own "loss" of Catelyn seemed such a fundamentally painful part of his own life.

...damn it all, I'm a nerd.
Belphegor ain't my FatherMother

Rifter7

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 15.00
Bank: 4,370.00
ViralEnsign_ wrote:
Fexelea wrote:So to start things off... The next HBO season will start airing before the book is released. How does everyone feel about this? It's the first time that readers will be behind watchers, which is... well, interesting!

As soon as the series started radically diverging from the books I turned it off and since have not bothered to watch the most recent series. Not due to a 'book is always superior to television media' type situation but because I enjoy the reading more than the watching and would rather keep continuity for myself.

they kind of have to. they're going to run out of literature soon.

PlasticandRage

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 4,507.00
Wiki Edits: 88
There was a GoT thread a long time ago, around the end of the first season, but it died out.

They're both so good. I read that George Martin educated the show runners, in an event of my death kind of way, so that they know where he plans on taking all the important characters, and the general direction of the narrative and it's ending. So I mean regardless of the fact that the shows going to be ahead of the book, it's still going to be going in the same general direction of the books.

Personally I kind of prefer it that way anyway. I've been watching the show and then reading the books in that order all along. I get the AHA! moments with the show, which I honestly think are more fun that way, both because of the way these shows are set up with the big cliffhangers and then the week long waits for the big reveals, and I get to experience them along with my friends who all watch the show too, but then after the fact I get to read the same events and get the more detailed telling. It is kind of interesting in terms of how these things are usually done though. Like a Harry Potter movie coming out before the book. Thinking about it in those terms it just doesn't make any sense at all does it?
PSN: PlasticandRage

All Great Men Have Mustaches
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

I heard about that too @PlasticandRage - I stopped reading the books in favor of the show due to lack of time, but I feel the show has a lot of things that make no sense in the universe and the story kind of strange. Either way it's still a fantastic show.

So... on to the juicy stuff.. SPOILERS

Is John dead? Is he not? How do you think all of this adds up?
Fextralife.com

PlasticandRage

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 4,507.00
Wiki Edits: 88
Oh Jons definitely alive IMO. If the shows going to follow the books on the key points, then the last book did a lot to hint at what's going to happen. My theory is, and I say this with a lot of confidence based on those hints so dont keep reading if you dont want to know, that Jons going to warg into his wolf, and then the red priestess is going to give his body life again, allowing him to warg back into it, through the sacrifice of Stannis' daughter. Both the book and the show make it seem like shes sacrificing the daughter for Stannis' victory over the Ironborne, but then Stannis loses and dies. On top of that the red priestess, whose name is escaping me, has shown a lot of interest in Jons fate throughout the last bit. And on top of all that, another warg does the same thing in the beginning of the book that Jons killed in. His body is killed and he survives by moving into the body of one of his familiar warg animals. For him its complicated by the fact that he has to fight through the consciousness of the wolf inhabiting it to begin with, but throughout the books Ghost is often referred to as a kind of empty vessel by his litter mates. They call him the silent beother, or the brother without a voice; and a lot of attention is called to the bond between Jon and Ghost. Theres no way all of that is coincidental.
PSN: PlasticandRage

All Great Men Have Mustaches
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Season 6 Ep 1 just aired!

Damn I was so sure the Red Priest was gonna bring him back...
Fextralife.com

Carphil

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 2,702.00
Wiki Edits: 6
Ewww at the red woman, thats the only proper comment for this episode

I hope they bring the Hound back somehow, he, Brienne, Jorah, Tyrion and Varys are the best characters from the show
“We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another, and no sunrise finds us where left by sunset.”
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon