For the PvP nuts! Debate tactics, discuss builds, and set up duels. Play nice.

robsthedon

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 641.00
I've been vading the forest with Astora's SS +4 with a sl16 cleric, I figured it would be better than a +5 long sword. It's pretty weak but got me enough large shards to make a +10 long sword Image
PSN - Robsthedon
www.youtube.com/robsthedon
The Exiled of Ariamis - Join us

Graelaoch

Casual
Convict

Souls: 0.00
I have ever only used it on a faith build, grabbed it to kill the Quellog lady, farm some green shards and such, then go kill pinwheel and make something fire to use instead. only useful for about 30 minutes tops.

Dibsville

Abyss Dweller
Adyr's Harbringer

Location: Burning my life away over being a Master of Sharpness.
Souls: 0.00
Bank: 391.00
Wiki Edits: 48
To answer the OP's question, it's really bad.
It's only good for early-game when you don't have access to upgrading your weapons. It has extra holy damage, but due to the way damage works, the damage bonus is negligible and only works on undead monsters anyway.
PSN: Dibsville
EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.

sparkly-twinkly-lizard

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 6,579.50
Wiki Edits: 8
as all the others here have stated it sucks, its only notable benefit is that it has slightly a higher divine modifier than weapons made divine via weapon upgrade, but this modifier only affects skeletons and has no bearing on pvp...

your best alternatives (since you don't like the long and balder swords) are:
the broadsword
the sunlight straight sword(a bit too clunky looking for my taste)
the dark sword (unique r2's are fun but it is heavier than most swords)
the short sword the longswords underated cousin, not too bad if you need to hit a weight req.
oh and the drake sword which gets 300 pure physical damage at +5, which out classes the A.S.S (astoran straight sword)due to the A.S.S's split damage, plus the drake sword gives defense bonuses and has a long range force wave attack.

Wow i never noticed before that the astoran straight swords acronym was the same as its level of usefulness
current builds:
Guido, level 75 corvian great scythe luck build.
Cindry, Level 100 pure faith build.
Jura, level 70 leo halberd build.
Next: Poise stacker was meh, just a str build now.

Rynn

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 7,139.38
That sword is so bad that the NPC's that use it use an illegitlimate version that has higher damage.
That sword is so bad I once used a hacked +15 version in PvP and noone could actually tell I was using a hack weapon.
That sword is so bad that Astorians hid it near a dragon so noone would ever use it.
I can't decide; whether you should live or die.

Noob-of-Artorias

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 1,965.00
Bank: 0.00
Rynn wrote:That sword is so bad that the NPC's that use it use an illegitlimate version that has higher damage.
That sword is so bad I once used a hacked +15 version in PvP and noone could actually tell I was using a hack weapon.
That sword is so bad that Astorians hid it near a dragon so noone would ever use it.
I lol'ed

Gilbert

Souls: 55.00
1: It scales with three stats, so it's technically good if you want to use miracles and weapons to be versatile

2: it does two types if damage

3: move set is good, great reach wit the stab

So, why exactly is it bad? And why do I feel like I'm not doing any damage with it?

I got it to +2 and have equal str, dex and faith at 15 so far.
I've completed the game numerous times, gotten all achievements without any help, so I know what "feels effective" and what doesn't.

Why does it feel so bad when its good on paper

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Because it isn't good on paper.

1) Any weapon can scale with faith.

2) That's a bad thing. instead of:
damage-defense= actual damage
it's
damage-defense-defense=actual damage

3) Longsword.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush