For those who have been having problems reinstalling Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, or Dragon Age 2 on 64bit systems with the following error "Error: Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported Line 1, Column 40" I may have found the solution.

Download this file from Cnet, it's an old MSXML update
http://download.cnet...4-10731613.html

Then all should be good, or at least it has allowed me to access the launchers for the games.

** Also,
if you still have an issue with installing the game where the installer simply ends and asks you to attempt a reinstall, when the CD-Key window appears, go to your task manager using CTRL/ALT/DEL and end the task with the EA Logo that represents the CD-Key Window. The game should then install and when you first start up the game simply put in your CD-Key in the new window that appears!

Let me know if anyone still has any issues,

~Reyalsfeihc

Edited by Chiefslayer, 12 June 2011 - 06:25 AM.

I've been stuck on this for ages! I can't thank you enough!

DragonApple wrote...

I've been stuck on this for ages! I can't thank you enough!

No problem dude! I'm happy I was the first to fix it after 5 years xD. Did it work out for you?
Didn't work for me unfortunately, are there any other fixes people have used?
Just a heads up, if this fix doesn't work for someone, please email me at Chiefslayer117@yahoo.com, and just mention the issue in the topic line and I'll try and help you the best I can.
Thank you so much!

I had the problem with dao, on windows 7 64 bit.

Its installing as I speak! Please accept this jar of cookies!

Edited by Crashdown86, 25 July 2011 - 09:10 AM.

** Also,
if you still have an issue with installing the game where the installer simply ends and asks you to attempt a reinstall, when the CD-Key window appears, go to your task manager using CTRL/ALT/DEL and end the task with the EA Logo that represents the CD-Key Window. The game should then install and when you first start up the game simply put in your CD-Key in the new window that appears!

This fixed my issue!! Thanks!!!

Oh also this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5pvlyCgvy0