Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Leachon

Souls: 40.00
The first time playing Dark Souls I didn't care too much to pay attention to the map design or the basic enemies around me, but the more I played the more I realized that there is a story in the design of the whole place, and if you piece it together you can figure out what happened to Lordran and how it became the land of the undead.

Let's begin when the undead began showing up. It is stated that Man didn't start becoming undead until the dark sign began showing on their corpses, when it began, the game doesn't say other than during the decline of the Age of fire and when Gwyn linked the fire. However, Kingseeker Frampt states after the player collects the lord vessel "Heavens! You have done it! You have retrieved the Lordvessel! After a thousand years! It is you, it is really you! Hraaaoogggh!" Most say it's due to the distortion of time in Lordran that it takes the player a thousand years to get the Lord Vessel after ringing the two bells, but due to how he says it, I think it means after a thousand years of searching he finally found the successor to Lord Gwyn. If that is true, then that means Gwyn had linked himself to the fire over a thousand years beforehand, before Frampt even knew there had to be a successor.

Using this knowledge, we can speculate that there have been undead for about a thousand years, meaning between a thousand years ago and the present day, Lordran went from a bustling, thriving nation, to a land fit solely for the undead. Though it still says nothing about when the transition happened or how. The only evidence to how is the enemies and the level designs of the places found in Lordran to how the undead took Lordran, at least everywhere other than Anor Londo and DarkRoot forest. However, we can determine which area was the first to fall, which was New Londo.

After Oolacile was enraptured by the Abyss, he gave the kings of New Londo the 'Art of Lifedrain' and caused the Darkwraiths to wreak havoc. In response three sealers flooded New Londo, causing the city to be drowned and sealed. Those who died, had the darksign, and washed ashore couldn't handle the tragedy and thus are 'crazy' on the dry portions. Those who had the darksign, but remained underwater had their bodies decayed too much and returned as ghosts to hunt whoever enters their domain. Next to fall was blight town.

Blight town appeared to be not actually a town, but rather the last remnant of construction on the wall. It lacked housing, furniture, and had large wooden platforms everywhere. It may even be safe to assume the swamp wasn't always poisonous, but after centuries of wastes from the depths pouring into the murky water, many problems arose. The workers on the wall began to mutate and changes into disfigured creatures, where the strongest of them became hulking undead monstrosities. Few were able to escape blight town, telling of the horrors they left behind. In response a sealer of New Londo and a few brave souls ventured down into blight town to try to mend the problems, however all perished to the swamp's creatures and undead mutations. A few whom afraid of the undead wore wooden outfits and used distant weaponry came back as the blowdart snipers, whom plague the player where ever they go.

Obviously next to go was the depths. Once locking blight town, the people of Lordran felt safer, their problems consisted of large rats and slimes that had grown from the wastes of the city. Though the workers from blight town ate in the upper area of the depths, even owned their own dogs to assist with the large rats. Though due to the rampant hordes outside the city at this time, the flooding of New Londo, and a loss of all the supplies in blight town, food became more scarce in Lordran. So in some areas cannibalism is considered acceptable, and a woman named Mildred was quick to adopt this. Mildred was in charge of the workers or at least a head chef, this would explain why she was still down in blight town as she worked alongside the workers all the way down there, and was also a butcher like the ones in the depths. However, eating corpses of people from blight town brought disease to the workers, killing off many of them, with a good majority coming back as undead.

Around this time Baldur, a nation bordering Lordran, was overrun with their own undead problem, and many refuges and a dozen knights fled to Lordran to escape the hordes, with it's high walls and large army, none thought Lordran would fall. Though due to the diseases in the depths, a plague spread in lower Undead Burg. This is evident from the burning piles of corpses and the torch bearers who set them ablaze. It was obvious that it was chaotic, and the only way to survive was to kill your fellow humans and rob them of whatever you needed, thus why there are so many undead thieves, full of sin. It is believed that the place was quarantined to prevent the spread of the disease, which is why it is locked at all entrances, even though it has three of them.

Next to fall was upper Undead Burg. Unlike the civilian populace, the army was killed off by hordes of Undead. You can see in one area that is above where the Capra demon's boss area is, there are several unarmored hollows hanging there. This is evidence that even though the place was quarantined, many still climbed out and made it on top of the walls, which caused conflict and battle. Even though the brave men of Lordran fought to the end, hollows won't stay dead, and for every skirmish was more soldiers and warriors for the undead hordes. Blood and corpses litter Undead Burg, with broken wall fragments too small to have been a dragon, details a small scale siege of the city. The very fact that some warriors used fire bombs prove that they were trying to fight off rotting corpses, otherwise bows and arrows would have been the weapons of choice.

Next the hordes moved to the Undead Parish, where several knights of Baldur took residence among their people. It's evident they were preparing for a siege as the soldiers' formations pointed towards the city, and even closed the first gate to prevent intrusion. However using the under part of the bridge and breaking up through the small sewage part, the hordes continued to advance, even an fanged boar was no help, as it couldn't tell the difference between friend and foe. Needless to say everyone who took refuge at the church was killed, but at least the knights of baldur fought to the very end before the civilians were killed. Only a few knights escaped into sen's fortress seeking refuge at Anor Londo, where they met their demise before fighting the iron golem.

Ever since the city fell, no living human could survive in Lordran, so it soon earned the reputation as the land of the Undead, where the undead can't feel time pass and as such, it's distorted as none can keep track of it. Even though many died centuries ago, to them it seems like it's only been a few days or weeks.

This is what I speculate to of happened to cause the fall of Lordran centuries ago. Though as I said, it's mere speculation based on dialogue, enemy descriptions/design, loot, and level design. Any ideas on how it would be different? Or do you think I missed something? I apologize on the long post. :#:-S:
"Never hurts to splurge when your days are numbered." -Undead Merchant

Delam_Farano

Souls: 60.00
Bank: 10.00
Very well reasoned; I can't see any flaws in it, and I thought myself that that's what Frampt meant with his "thousand years" - it would take a long time for Gwyn to go Hollow protecting the first flame, and it's easier to assume that you arrived a thousand years after it began, rather than you taking a thousand years.

Marblevore

Casual
Convict

Souls: 255.00
Bank: 10.00
I love this theory. When I go back and play the game, the areas are certainly going to feel like they have more depth. But this makes me think about hallows. Why do they only revive when you rest at a bonfire? I think maybe they revive on their own time(and a long time), but while you rest at a bonfire you lose track of time and eventually everything you have slain is ready for some more. Thats the only way I can explain a relentless assault of undead on Lordran.

Caciowskij

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,808.00
That's some really intersting stuff :cheers: If you don't mind I'd like to know what you think about what happened to some other areas of the game (of course not the obvious ones).
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there.