Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Kings_Descendant

Casual
Convict

Souls: 165.00
Does Ancient Dragons and Everlasting Dragons mean the same? I think Ancient dragons, such as Kalameet, are the descendants of Everlasting Dragons?

EDIT: Or if they mean the same, then Kalameet is just simply a descendant of those big stone-scaled flying boulders. Just like Gaping Dragon is. But that one is a little wicked individual :bas: .
Game of the year 2011: Dark Souls

- Game of all time: Dark Souls -

GrinTwist

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 3,807.00
Bank: 2,843.50
Wiki Edits: 699
Honestly I think they might be a bit different if we're going solely by the name.

When comparing the two you kind of get what the game wants them to be.

Ancient Dragons: Very old and powerful dragon but easier to kill.
Everlasting Dragons: Old as time and harder than hell to kill.

That's at least an idea behind it, Kalameet has a completely different aesthetic compared to the ones we see in the intro and is definitely weaker when compared to the Everlasting Dragon.
Currently undergoing a dangerous adventure with a friendly dragon.

Forum Guidelines | Wiki Hub | Article Hub | Wiki Editing Guide
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Elite_Knight

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 257.00
Wiki Edits: 1
Kings_Descendant wrote: Velka means "debt" in Finnish language and it's funny, because it's almost sin to be in debt for someone :D.

It's interesting that you brought that up, seeing as there is a debt of souls to be paid in order to absolve you of your sins within the game. :tongue:

Kings_Descendant

Casual
Convict

Souls: 165.00
Elite Knight wrote:
Kings_Descendant wrote: Velka means "debt" in Finnish language and it's funny, because it's almost sin to be in debt for someone :D.

It's interesting that you brought that up, seeing as there is a debt of souls to be paid in order to absolve you of your sins within the game. :tongue:

Hmm.. That's true :-O
Game of the year 2011: Dark Souls

- Game of all time: Dark Souls -

Orange19

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 653.00
In DkSII Archives we have come to the conclusion that Ancient and Everlasting Dragons are the same, once a Japanese Speaking person joined the ranks. Turns out their correct title is Ancient Never Ending (Everlasting) Dragons.

Also in a interview (god, I can't believe that's still not common knowledge yet) for shootaku (iirc), Miyazaki explained Gaping. He isn't a descendant of the Ancient Dragons, he IS an Ancient Dragon. Dragons are not living beings, they are more like moving forces of nature that change form to adapt to their surroundings. Seath grew tentacles so he could seethe more. Gaping turned into a huge mouth, because the thing he loved to do the most was eating. And Kalameet turned into obsidian and one eyes, because... /discuss

Also, I hate to make literal translations, so I try to go for the real meaning of a word. You say Kala can mean either Black or Time. I have three theories based on the meaning.

Lets consider the meaning of Time, from Shiva. I believe someone said "the eternal Time". Maybe the Kala here was meant to mean Eternity. Friend of Eternity; given Anor Londo couldn't kill it, so he would last forever.

Now, the one I'm particulary fond of; Black. In many languages Black and Dark are the same world (dark skin / black people - I use that as an example, because the game was originally called Dark Race, but later changed due to racism being a thing). What if they meant Friend of the Dark? Kalameet is in Oolacile afterall, using Dark Fire, making Gwyn be afraid to dispatch an army there, because after all, even Anor Londo dared not to challenge mighty Kalameet. Gwyn is left only with the option of sending his elite knights for a commando mission. They were to go there, kill Manus, all under the radar of Kalameet. We could go even farther, to say Gwyn, the White, had his White Dragon, while Manus, the Dark Lord, had his Black Dragon.

Lastly, the third theory I personally don't believe. Kalameet is friends with Velka, and is helping her acchieve something there.