Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Calebmock

Souls: 45.00
Hey guys, I'm new on the forums and just had some ideas about Ash Lake and the hydras.

Ash Lake: have you ever looked at the skull and noticed that it looks very sand covered and eroded in some parts? I believe this is due to all the water that somehow flooded the area.

Hydras: the hydra in darkroot basin is white and the Ash Lake hydra is black. The blackness of the hydra might be due to the water dyeing its scales black, which may have taken years. So is the black hydra actually a brother/sister of the white hydra in Darkroot Basin? If so then this explains why the Ash Lake hydra is black.

GrinTwist

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 3,807.00
Bank: 3,018.50
Wiki Edits: 699
First off, welcome to the forums! :D

Addressing the subject of the color differences, lore wise the black hydra developed differently due to the water it resides in. This is pure speculation but due to the difference in size of the basin and the lake I'd assume the lake and the basin are different types of water due to the area surrounding them. It's probably because of the different water type in those two areas that the hydras adapted differently.

There has been a bit of speculation on that skull and while it's likely eroded due to time I'm sure it's erosion could also be related to a rise in water at one point in time.
Currently undergoing a dangerous adventure with a friendly dragon.

Forum Guidelines | Wiki Hub | Article Hub | Wiki Editing Guide
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Calebmock

Your skull theory is what I had in mind. I did think that the water rose at some point. Maybe Ash Lake has some kind of tide? I'm guessing that the water in Ash Lake turned black due to all the ash after the daughters of chaos burned the land during the War of Ancients. I'm thinking that the skull in the sand had been buried under a desert of ash after the fires died down. But where did the water come from?

GrinTwist

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 3,807.00
Bank: 3,018.50
Wiki Edits: 699
Where the water came from, I really don't know. It's possible that there is an opening at some point that leads to a large body of water like an ocean but there is no real way of knowing.

There could possibly be a tide of some sort, but since the water is very still in ash lake there isn't a very prominent way of me knowing without getting into the complex science behind underground water caverns and large pools of water.
Currently undergoing a dangerous adventure with a friendly dragon.

Forum Guidelines | Wiki Hub | Article Hub | Wiki Editing Guide
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Calebmock

I noticed near the golden fog door near Nito's area is a path where Leeroy invades you. Perhaps the path eroded due to some kind of landslide. The path may have led all the way to Ash Lake. I also noticed that the huge wall above the water seems to circle around the lake like a bowl.....or maybe it's a barrier keeping something from Ash Lake out of Lordran. Ash Lake is a very mysterious area.