Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Undead_Fanatic

Souls: 139.00
I thought that for awhile too but then I remembered that we see the Ash Lake in the opening prologue.

There are dragons flying high in the sky, clouds with sunlight shining through, and lightning behind Seath atop the pile of dragon corpses.

I would have to say it isn't likely with a lightning storm in it. Although Mr. Rift's post about the weather system in the Chinese cave is interesting, the sunlight should debunk the inside a cave theory. And based on Emergence's post of the 3D map, the cave system would have to be so huge and tall we could see it from atop Sen's Fortress, poking through the cloud cover.

Mr_Rift

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,690.00
Undead_Fanatic wrote:I would have to say it isn't likely with a lightning storm in it. Although Mr. Rift's post about the weather system in the Chinese cave is interesting, the sunlight should debunk the inside a cave theory. And based on Emergence's post of the 3D map, the cave system would have to be so huge and tall we could see it from atop Sen's Fortress, poking through the cloud cover.

That's going on the assumption that all these places are connected in the typical sense. If time is distorted then space could be as well, look at the stratification of the areas, there's several layers of cloud cover all through the game. Along with the fact that you can turn Anor Londo dark but it's not reflected anywhere else...

Undead_Fanatic

That's going on the assumption that all these places are connected in the typical sense. If time is distorted then space could be as well, look at the stratification of the areas, there's several layers of cloud cover all through the game. Along with the fact that you can turn Anor Londo dark but it's not reflected anywhere else...

I know, you have a valid point but I try on working with the least amount of assumptions. My theory on Dark Anor Londo not affecting anything else is that, the huge wall we pass over blocks out the sunlight from the true sun that Solaire is looking at from the Undead Burg Bridge. That Sun is directly opposite to Gwydolin's fake sun and would be approximately over the Ash Lake. Whether it is higher than the wall requires some research though.

Of course, I cannot actually argue the pocket dimension theory since the flow of time is distorted in Lordran. All sections of the game could just take place at different points in time.

Shkar

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 2,560.00
Bank: 20,526.19
Wiki Edits: 7
My assumption is that they just ran out of time in order to change the entire world to night (Or felt it would detract from the normal play). They certainly had to cut bigger, more important things than a little detail like that.

Undead_Fanatic

Cut or unfinished content always causes trouble for speculators like us. Like that doorway in the Centipede Demon room that does nothing. Or Zora's Hallway in Ocarina of Time.

Mr_Rift

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,690.00
Undead_Fanatic wrote:I know, you have a valid point but I try on working with the least amount of assumptions. My theory on Dark Anor Londo not affecting anything else is that, the huge wall we pass over blocks out the sunlight from the true sun that Solaire is looking at from the Undead Burg Bridge. That Sun is directly opposite to Gwydolin's fake sun and would be approximately over the Ash Lake. Whether it is higher than the wall requires some research though.

Of course, I cannot actually argue the pocket dimension theory since the flow of time is distorted in Lordran. All sections of the game could just take place at different points in time.

These are all good points, and the "looking up from below" would stump the idea... but when you go up to the Dukes Archives and look down on Dark Anor Londo, it's light again.

As for assumptions, I like making assumptions. I'm an author IRL and it's sorta how you make a story, if there are points that can back up an assumption then why not go for it until someone disproves the idea?

Undead_Fanatic

These are all good points, and the "looking up from below" would stump the idea... but when you go up to the Dukes Archives and look down on Dark Anor Londo, it's light again.

As for assumptions, I like making assumptions. I'm an author IRL and it's sorta how you make a story, if there are points that can back up an assumption then why not go for it until someone disproves the idea?

After I posted and went about my day I realized that Duke's Archives were also on the other side of the wall and thought to myself, "damn, must edit post or find more evidence before someone realizes." Also, I incorrectly described my use of assumptions. I prescribe to Occam's Razor which is just the usage of the simplest assumption instead of the least. And I agree with just using an assumption till it is disproven because that is how theories work in real life.

On an unrelated note, what do write? Creative Non-fiction? Fiction? Genre?
Strike that, mods may be modding. Better stay on topic.

drkissinger1

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 640.00
I don't really think Lordran is a "planet" in the common, spherical sense of the word. The "world" of Lordran as we know it seems to be held up by giant archtrees whose roots we see in the Ash Lake. The geometry of the world doesn't need to make sense; in fact, it seems to be deliberately nonsensical.

Krikkus

Souls: 30.00
EDIT: Wrong forum!