Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Link0o

Souls: 20.00
Link0o
4/2/2014
Truth of Gwyndolin
(Berserk Spoilers ahead)

Hey guys, this is my first post on this site (one that might not ever be gazed upon thanks to Dark Souls 2). But I made this because I finalized my theory on Gwyndolin and what I think about him. Take in mind this is my original speculation based on all the knowledge we have on the character thus far.

It has been confirmed that Dark Souls has taken many inspirations from the Berserk Manga series, Miyazaki acknowledges this. Many characters, enemies, items, stances, spells, etc are direct references or take homage from the Berserk series (Check this video for examples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uuR9B1gjQ).

Gwyndolin is a reference towards Berserk's character Griffith, and I'll go over some of the similarities between them now:
-Both have white flowing hair
-Both are extraordinarily feminine
-Both are related to a dark sun
-Both are relatively close to a crystal dragon
-Both watch over a divine and illusionary construct with the focus of luring struggling humans to fulfill something prophesied long ago.
-Both have a small army of demons and countless amount of humans (Darkmoon Covenant) serving him under an ambiguous ideology of vengeance against the dark.
-Both have a level of foresight

However, Griffith has one defining fact about his character, he is a member of the godhand. AKA he is secretly a demon lord, who brings the world into an age of darkness by deluding and tricking humans and apostles of darkness.

Now this is a strange theory, I know, and how Gwyndolin could become a Demon as if he were from Izalith is something I am unsure of although easily imaginable, but this theory does clear up more mysteries than it makes, including:
-Explains the Demon Gargoyles that carry you to Anor Londo, and the ones you fight inside.
-Explains The Stone Demons in Sen's Fortress and the one inside.
-Explains the Snake Demons within Sen's Fortress.
-Explains all illusions of Anor Londo, and why Gwyndolin hides himself
-Explains why Gwyndolin appears so demonic, and has snakes for his lower part of his body (Kind of akin to Mytha from DkS2).
-Explains why Gwyndolin is hostile towards you after you discover his appearance.
-Explains why he is hiding in his father's tomb (last place anyone would ever find or desecrate).
-Explains why the gods fled from Anor Londo.
-Explains why Seath and Anor Londo are not at war with each other. (Possible they made an alliance, snake demons and transformed priestesses in Dukes Archives)
-Explains why the Giant Blacksmith is left alone (Easily Deceived).
-And much, much more.

Anyhow, thank you for reading all of this. It's my first input into Dark Souls lore, and I accept any criticism and leave great room for discussion. I am considering making a lore video about this subject on Youtube, despite my lack of experience in the matter. Message me at Isselac@gmail.com if you wanna contact me more directly, Thanks!

Caciowskij

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,808.00
Link0o wrote:Link0o
4/2/2014
Truth of Gwyndolin
(Berserk Spoilers ahead)

Hey guys, this is my first post on this site (one that might not ever be gazed upon thanks to Dark Souls 2). But I made this because I finalized my theory on Gwyndolin and what I think about him. Take in mind this is my original speculation based on all the knowledge we have on the character thus far.

It has been confirmed that Dark Souls has taken many inspirations from the Berserk Manga series, Miyazaki acknowledges this. Many characters, enemies, items, stances, spells, etc are direct references or take homage from the Berserk series (Check this video for examples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uuR9B1gjQ).

Gwyndolin is a reference towards Berserk's character Griffith, and I'll go over some of the similarities between them now:
-Both have white flowing hair
-Both are extraordinarily feminine
-Both are related to a dark sun
-Both are relatively close to a crystal dragon
-Both watch over a divine and illusionary construct with the focus of luring struggling humans to fulfill something prophesied long ago.
-Both have a small army of demons and countless amount of humans (Darkmoon Covenant) serving him under an ambiguous ideology of vengeance against the dark.
-Both have a level of foresight

However, Griffith has one defining fact about his character, he is a member of the godhand. AKA he is secretly a demon lord, who brings the world into an age of darkness by deluding and tricking humans and apostles of darkness.

Now this is a strange theory, I know, and how Gwyndolin could become a Demon as if he were from Izalith is something I am unsure of although easily imaginable, but this theory does clear up more mysteries than it makes, including:
-Explains the Demon Gargoyles that carry you to Anor Londo, and the ones you fight inside.
-Explains The Stone Demons in Sen's Fortress and the one inside.
-Explains the Snake Demons within Sen's Fortress.
-Explains all illusions of Anor Londo, and why Gwyndolin hides himself
-Explains why Gwyndolin appears so demonic, and has snakes for his lower part of his body (Kind of akin to Mytha from DkS2).
-Explains why Gwyndolin is hostile towards you after you discover his appearance.
-Explains why he is hiding in his father's tomb (last place anyone would ever find or desecrate).
-Explains why the gods fled from Anor Londo.
-Explains why Seath and Anor Londo are not at war with each other. (Possible they made an alliance, snake demons and transformed priestesses in Dukes Archives)
-Explains why the Giant Blacksmith is left alone (Easily Deceived).
-And much, much more.

Anyhow, thank you for reading all of this. It's my first input into Dark Souls lore, and I accept any criticism and leave great room for discussion. I am considering making a lore video about this subject on Youtube, despite my lack of experience in the matter. Message me at Isselac@gmail.com if you wanna contact me more directly, Thanks!

There are many intersting ideas right there, but there are some things I want to say.
-Gwyndolin could have commanded demon gargoyles to carry you even if he wasn't a demon himself.
-What exactly are stone demons?
-Maybe Gwyndolin hides himself because he's a girl with snakes coming from his torso.
-Gwyndolin has snakes and stuff because he was born in the thing of the moon(?).
-He aggros upon you entering his room because you're entering he's father's tomb(and his father is a god).
-Gods may have fled from Anor Londo for many other reasons.
-Seath doesn't need to make an alliance with anor londo, since he's one of Gwyn's best friends.
-The giant blacksmith may be left alone for other more likely reasons, such as a civil war between giant giants and smaller giants(maybe he's gough, that after thousands/hundreds years upgraded he's carving abilities into smithing abilities, which explains why there's gough's ring).
Sorry for any mistake, hope it's possible for you to understand what I'm saying :D .
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there.

Follower_of_Havel

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 328.00
i think stone demons = titanite demons
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Caciowskij

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,808.00
I should have known, it was obvious :/
Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there.