Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Serafiem

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 884.00
Bank: 172.00
Wiki Edits: 4
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind(1984) is a Studio Ghibli film directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

In it *Spoiler Alert* the main character finds herself in an underground cavern full of white, petrified trees which are essentially holding up the world, and gradually purifying it as time moves on. The floor is covered with purified water, and sand made inert occasionally falls from the ceiling to make small islands. Sound familiar?

Ash lake drew heavily from this scene, and I think it was very successful in reproducing the feeling of that place.
I love Ash lake, but do you think this might be a sign that the dragons and arch trees will slowly reclaim the earth?

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 45,569.50
Wiki Edits: 565
Of course they will. After the first flame fades and after humanity has run its course, the only things that'll be left are the ones that aren't affected by the passage of time. And interesting that you mentioned these stone trees slowly purifying the world above them, it gives an interesting perspective on what the stone dragon of ash lake could be up to. You know, what with the recruiting undead people and teaching them how to turn into dragons.

Vorago

Casual
Convict

Souls: 383.00
Wiki Edits: 2
That movie was amazing. It's not the first time that Dark Souls had inspirations from the animated world. Artorias & Sif were both inspired by Berzerk.
I am fond of them, of the inferior beings of the abyss, of those who are full of longing, of those who have gone beyond death.

Serafiem

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 884.00
Bank: 172.00
Wiki Edits: 4
Vorago wrote:That movie was amazing. It's not the first time that Dark Souls had inspirations from the animated world. Artorias & Sif were both inspired by Berzerk.

Really? I actually walked in on someone watching Berzerk once. They said it was the last episode. Looked all kinds of crazy. :raised brow:

Mr_Rift

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,690.00
Serafiem wrote:Really? I actually walked in on someone watching Berzerk once. They said it was the last episode. Looked all kinds of crazy. :raised brow:

It is, everything goes smoothly until the last episode when out of the blue, all hell breaks loose... literally.

I was definitely in shock when it all went down, I love that series.

Nevis_Ysbrid

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 604.00
Bank: 4,800.00
Read the manga, they cut at least 2/5 of the material out in the anime adaption.

Sif isn't really from Berserk, though; he's one of the more blatant references to Norse mythology where there was a forever-growing wolf named Fenris (oddly, Sif was a different figure entirely who was also female and Thor's wife). While, yes, Guts's dark/shadow side is represented/has a totem a dog/wolf, this isn't the same thing as Sif.

Artorias, though? Yeah, he's a Guts reference to a 't'.

As for the 'last episode'... yeah. The last episode of the anime is the scene in the manga where it moves from an almost exclusively historical-ish setting to fantasy. It's actually the ending of the backstory and why Guts is hunting demons in the present in the first novel or two, and then returns after completing the backstory.
I am the Grey that shall become Red, the Ysbrid that shall become the Ddraig, the cloud and lightning. Red aether art I, the Heaven/Venom of Ben Nevis.

Here's our Nodiatus Test thread. Come tell us what you are!

Poseidal

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 518.00
Someone on an Armored Core forum suggested that the trees from the Ash Lake are purifying the Kojima contamination over a long time like in Nausicaa.