Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Souls: 1,009.00
Bank: 542.03
Wiki Edits: 189
A very small little entry, many characters have names that are super rare and possibly made up, but in actuality may have roots.  Havel the Rock.  Havel is a Czech name, it means small or humble.  In Hebrew it also seems to mean breath, perhaps a little nod to his hatred of Dragons.  There was a famous man named Vaclav Havel, a playwright and president of Czechoslovakia.  He was well known for taking part in a revolution to end the Communist control of his country, though their protesting was peaceful.  He was seen as the protector of those without a voice, and a man that gave incredible power to those without it.  To give them the strength to protect themselves.  While commmunists became a part of his government still he stood against them openly and was constantly imprisoned for it.  After the revolution had ended he became a high ranking member of the government and eventually the president.  He continued his work until his death, having died a few months after the release of Dark Souls actually, december 15th.  Vaclav means Glory and More, or More Glory.  

Now another one, Havel is a river in Germany.  It has four sections, with a fifth part being a mouth.  Nutrient rich soil is around it, and essentially it can be seen as having five segments in total.  So, it is a five parted delta.  Five segments that lead into a delta.  Also it is named after an old german word which means to harbor, and Havel was well known for Harboring a hatred.  A little draw towards the previous link with communism and the dragons, Havel is a link between East and West german and runs through Berlin.

Likely these are just coincidences, but still I can't help but notice some of these things.
"Be well then, neither of us wants to see you go hollow."-Andre of Astora
If you are having problems on the forum feel free to send me a PM.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,509.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
So Havel is a Delta Farmer from the Five Finger Delta? Awesome stuff Tolvo. I know someone brought up the president one before but the rest is all new to me
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Tolvo

Crystal Cave
Lord of the Fallen

Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU, giving you a shoulder massage and an ear to talk to.
Souls: 1,009.00
Bank: 542.03
Wiki Edits: 189
So why hasn't this been stickied yet? Image
"Be well then, neither of us wants to see you go hollow."-Andre of Astora
If you are having problems on the forum feel free to send me a PM.
Forum Guidelines - Dark Souls Resources Thread - Dark Souls Wiki - Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Fextralife

WhatDoesThePendantDo

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 1,804.31
So, Twitter tells me this thread is alive again...

Is this so?Image 
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,509.54
Wiki Edits: 460
Again? It only goes dormant...never dead.

Cue dramatic music and flickering light effect

Duh dun dun!

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Shkar

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 2,560.00
Bank: 20,526.19
Wiki Edits: 7
Has anyone used the connection between Artorias and Sif to argue that Artorias is the firstborn of Gwyn? Assuming direct parallels to Norse mythology, Odin would of course line up with Gwyn (or perhaps Lloyd; they share the title of Allfather). Assuming they only selected the more well known children of Odin, it would make complete sense for the firstborn to be Thor, as he's the one god everyone can name. And while they may not be married in game, there is only one character that can be truly said to be the companion of Sif.

In addition, we also see in the DLC that Artorias uses only the strength of his arm. Gwyn uses lightning spears, and Odin is commonly linked with spears. Gwyn is also accompanied by two wolves (another link to Artorias) and two ravens (links up with the old theory of Velka being Gwyn's wife). Odin also hung from the great tree for several trees for the sake of knowledge, which is similar (I suppose) to burning in the flame for the sake of the world. And, like in Norse mythology, the world is doomed to end in flame.
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,557.00
Wiki Edits: 25927
I like the parallels there shkar but I think it's problematic with how the histories portray it. Artorias isn't a forgotten hero and is one of the most lored by name characters in the game. I'm not certain if that could jive with the unnamed unknown. We also know his story pretty well and I'm not sure there is connection between falling to the abyss and the stripping of deity status of the firstborn.
This site is a bonfire. Thank you all for kindling it. "No rest for the wikid."- the eldritch wisdom of Skarekrow13

Gaming News, Guides & Reviews / Gaming Wikis / Join VIP
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon