Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.
OK....Boss souls are very very confusing once you look closely at them.

Iron Golem's Soul

Soul serving as the core of the Iron Golem, guardian of Sen's Fortress, and slayer of countless heroes seeking Anor Londo.

Originally a bone of an everlasting dragon.

Bones of everlasting dragons can become souls? How? Does this mean we can "kill" them, by just turning them into souls?

Quelaag's Soul

Soul of Quelaag, once daughter of the Witch of Izalith, but now a chaos demon.

"Once daughter of the Witch of Izalith, but now a chaos demon.

Is this implying she is no longer the daughter of the Witch of Izalith? If so, I can take two different things from this. She was changed on a genetic level, and is no longer genetically related to the Witch of Izalith, (Which would be odd, considering how the Bed of Chaos, (created by, or is the witch) is the creator of chaos demons.) Or I could take it that they weren't actually genetically related, but it was just a type of "mother-daughter" relationship..

The first way gets even more convoluted..... If she was the daughter of the Witch of Izalith, and then the Witch of Izalith created the Bed of Chaos, which then created Quelagg as a chaos demon.... ... I don't even know what conclusion to draw from there.

Bed of Chaos Lord Soul

Soul of the Bed of Chaos and the mother
of all demons.

Note how it doesn't say "Soul of the Bed of Chaos, the mother of all demons" but instead "the Bed of Chaos and the mother of all demons"

So um,... is this suggesting that it's a combination of two different entities?

And a few other oddities with other soul descriptions occur, but not enough that I care to go into right now.

xysizzle

Casual
Convict

Souls: 310.00
Bank: 0.00
While the Iron Golem's soul has confused me about it's origins as well, I think you may be looking too far into the other descriptions.
Quelaag's soul is simply stating that she was once a Daughter of the Witch of Izalith and now her physical form has been changed into that of a demon. Her mind has also been changed. This all happened due to the Witch of Izalith screwing up in creating another "First Flame", turning herself and (presumably 2 of her daughters) into the Bed of Chaos, and creating sort of a chaos flame that seemed to turn Izalith's and some of blight town's inhabitants into demons. Among these creature/person/others turned demon was Quelaag. (In short, Quelaag is more demon than what she used to be).
Concerning the Bed of Chaos, it's just two different titles for the now morphed Witch of Izalith

Mr_Rift

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,690.00
I've always figured that the Golem was a minion of Seath's, like the Snakemen in Sen's Fortress. The Golem being a creation of his that he used to stop people reaching him in the Archives.

Buuuut... that's just a complete guess based upon a few other unrelated points.
Most likely it's overthinking, but that's part of the fun of lore. ^^

And in general, dark souls doesn't appear to have awkward grammar, so why is it written the way it is?

xysizzle

Casual
Convict

Souls: 310.00
Soul of Stray Demon wrote:Most likely it's overthinking, but that's part of the fun of lore. ^^

And in general, dark souls doesn't appear to have awkward grammar, so why is it written the way it is?

Some times the strange grammar can actually be a way of conveying ther lore in a rather mysterious way. In this case, however, it seems it's simply just appears a bit more of a drawn out description rather than a short and concise one. Some things in the lore are definite and the properties of the Witch of Izalith/BoC and Qualaag are rather already known

CakeThiefPro

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 1,700.00
Well I think bones of the undead fuel bonfires (at least initially along with humanity) so it's possible that bones much like rats carry residual traces of souls, dark or otherwise. This would however suggest that the dragons actually had souls and were alive which I'm pretty sure they're not meant to unless it's the residual souls of a dragons victims during the war which were used to power the Golemn.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,409.54
Wiki Edits: 460
*Clears throat* (Note I actually did do this since I have cold)

I always recommend reading everything that mentions X or Y before hypothesizing. For instance...

Dragon Bone Fist:
"A weapon from the soul of the Iron Golem, guardian of Sen's Fortress who repelled countless heroes who sought Anor Londo."
"The Gods fused the power of the soul with the great bones of the dragons, forming an appropriate core for the giant golem'

It's a case of awkward wording which is prevalent in the game. So no, there's no evidence to think bones turn into souls. As essentially a statue, in order to gift the Golem a soul, it needs to attach to something. They made a "core" out of dragon bone and infused that with the soul.

And the ax doesn't really shed any further light on the situation. The armor mentions only that without the core, it's just heavy armor

Apart from being activated by a core and being made of iron, he's also pretty consistent with Golem Lore. Although neither feature is unheard of to be fair.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
skarekrow13 wrote:Dragon Bone Fist:
"A weapon from the soul of the Iron Golem, guardian of Sen's Fortress who repelled countless heroes who sought Anor Londo."
"The Gods fused the power of the soul with the great bones of the dragons, forming an appropriate core for the giant golem'

It's a case of awkward wording which is prevalent in the game. So no, there's no evidence to think bones turn into souls. As essentially a statue, in order to gift the Golem a soul, it needs to attach to something. They made a "core" out of dragon bone and infused that with the soul.

It doesn't say that a soul was fused with a bone, but instead the power of a soul, which then became the core (I assume it's just saying that the core of the being is actually it's soul), we still have the interesting part of, how do we give a bone the properties of a soul?

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 5,264.00
Wiki Edits: 4
Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
skarekrow13 wrote:Dragon Bone Fist:

It doesn't say that a soul was fused with a bone, but instead the power of a soul, which then became the core (I assume it's just saying that the core of the being is actually it's soul), we still have the interesting part of, how do we give a bone the properties of a soul?

They would have done it the same way Gwyn gave parts of his soul to Seath or the Four Kings. As to the exact rituals/processes behind how it's done we'll never know, but we do know that it was well within the Gods' power to be able to segregate and infuse other beings with souls.
A system error occurred during event movement.
A system error occurred during event movement...