For the PvP nuts! Debate tactics, discuss builds, and set up duels. Play nice.

homelessguy

Casual
Convict

Souls: 0.00
hi I have heard this sword is terrible and weaker than a short sword when both are fully upgraded but is it that bad that someone who wields the blade is at a disadvantage in pvp ??

main reason for asking this is I like sword's but hate how the long sword and bss look and the Astora ss looks cool

I would say I am pretty good at dark souls pvp not to brag but I mostly lose when someone is using a cheap tactic or it very close honourable fight but beside that 3/4 of the time I win.

so could I make a build around this sword and still be viable enough to do well in pvp

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
1) its a greatsword, not a longsword. Assuming you mean the Greatsword of Artorias.

2) God awful unless you have 40 in every damage stat, and even then a buffed claymore is much stronger.

3)If you mean the sunlight straightsword, its just always crap.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
VIP

AnCapaillMor

Revived
Savior

HorseLord of Horseington

Souls: 1,870.75
Bank: 3,789.99
Wiki Edits: 58
It's got really poor scaling with C,C,-,C, its like the drake sword in that early it's on pretty decent. But once your levels go up, it comes nowhere near a divine or occult straight sword or bss plus add in that i can't be buffed. The split damage doesn't help it either. The AR will hurt you more and more as you progress to higher levels in pvp.

Uuumm it's a straight sword, definately not a great.
https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Astora's+Straight+Sword
Shop IconShop Icon

RANT

Lordvessel
Honorary Rhogar

Souls: 431.50
It really kinda sucks, it's way better for lower levels. The higher you level up the worse it becomes compared to +15 weapons or elemental weapons. Try the broad sword, it looks awesome and stunlocks like a best.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
AnCapaillMor wrote:It's got really poor scaling with C,C,-,C, its like the drake sword in that early it's on pretty decent. But once your levels go up, it comes nowhere near a divine or occult straight sword or bss plus add in that i can't be buffed. The split damage doesn't help it either. The AR will hurt you more and more as you progress to higher levels in pvp.

Uuumm it's a straight sword, definately not a great.
https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Astora's+Straight+Sword

Oh right. Forgot that was real. Should tell you how good it is, I couldn't even be bothered to remember it.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

ScottyDoesKnow

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 700.00
At 99 str/dex/faith, Astora's still has lower total AR than a longsword. And that's not even taking the split damage into account. It's terrible.

WhatDoesThePendantDo

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 1,804.31
It's the worst. Image 

Sneezer

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 1,046.00
Wiki Edits: 4
I think the fact that ForumPirate didn't remember it existed tells you how bad it is.

Just a note; Oscar of Astora in the asylum gets a +7 Astora's Straight Sword which is impossible to obtain by any player. The devs gave it to him so that the fight in the asylum wouldn't be too easy. (It's still easy anyway.)

steveswede

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 29.00
Yep it's one of the worst weapons in the game. It's shocking that a +10 divine long sword out classes it in every way and you don't even need to invest anything into faith to use it.
VIP

AnCapaillMor

Revived
Savior

HorseLord of Horseington

Souls: 1,870.75
Bank: 3,789.99
Wiki Edits: 58
It's crappiness makes sense though, you can get it 5 mins into the game and can bump it up to +4 fairly quickly too. If it had the level of a divine +10 weapon everyone you'd bump into would be using it early on.
Shop IconShop Icon