Anything related to Dark Souls!

Van3

Souls: 65.00
I'm completely new to this kind of game, and haven't played any of the ones listed on the left hand side of the forum. I'm currently looking for a new game to play, and usually have a list of games to buy which are sorted by release date. I only tend to buy games that are 2-3 years old, and my next "game to buy" on my list was actually Nioh: Complete Edition, for PC. I only added it to my list as it "looked like a fun action RPG", which I guess is kind of underselling it.

Anyway, having done some research on it, it seems that it's actually an extremely hard game to play, which can supposedly make you regret your purchase. As I'm trying to have fun and not just play games for the sake of being able to say "I managed to complete it", I'm just wondering if I'll actually be able to have any fun playing Nioh and the games listed on the left if they're just TOO hard. Are they really too hard to the point that it takes away most of the enjoyment?

On a related note, if I WERE to try my hand at this kind of game, is Nioh really the first of its type that I should play? I was considering playing through the Dark Souls series first, having not played any of them, although I realised that the first one came out in 2011 and it's just a bit too old school for me. That being said, I see that there's a remastered DS1 out, and I could start with that one first I guess. Would it be optimal to start with the DS franchise before playing Nioh or Sekiro, just so I get used to this kind of game? Not that the DS franchise is easy by any means, but as it came out before the other two games I mentioned it'll give me some ideas on how to play this type of game properly.

Thanks guys.

penniwise

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 618.00
first off " I'm just wondering if I'll actually be able to have any fun playing Nioh and the games listed on the left if they're just TOO hard. Are they really too hard to the point that it takes away most of the enjoyment?"

They are hard, yes. But its a different kind of hard.. These types of games give me enjoyment above all other games I've played. If you progress, beat a boss, etc. That means (mostly) that you've learned. Learned not only what the opponent does, but what you do under different circumstances. It's very rewarding. It could take 5 minutes or 5 hours to beat certain bosses, to learn to dodge\deflect\parry at the correct times. Sometimes I need to go away from the game for a day or two then return when I've cooled off.

As far as the order. I'm not sure about that. I started with Bloodborne. In fact, I bought a PS4 just for that game. It is by far my favorite game, I'm unsure how many times I've beat it or hours I've spent cooping or just running through with different weapons, maxing out gems in the chalice dungeons. DS3 was next. I platinumed that on xbox and ps4. After DS3 I played Nioh. It was fun for me but not like the fromsoftware games. I'm on my 5th run through sekiro and I just bought DS1 remastered.I would imagine folks here can tell you more about order preference but I don't think it mattered for me.

diesomemore

Souls: 60.00
Wiki Edits: 1
> I only added it to my list as it "looked like a fun action RPG"

The Soulsborne games aren't action RPGs in the sense that say, The Witcher 3 is an action RPG. Their difficulty lies in the fact that mistakes are costly, and to progress you have to learn how to avoid making those mistakes. But you will make many of them, that's how you learn.

I'm playing through the Dark Souls trilogy first, then will probably tackle Sekiro, Nioh, and Bloodborne. And maybe Lords of the Fallen.

I've played Nioh a little bit and the action is "faster", and the loot system is a lot more in line with other action RPGs. Of the Soulsborne games I've played it is the most "different", but still requires a good deal of patience and practice. Anything by From Software shares the same controller scheme, but Nioh's controller scheme is completely different, so you might consider that if you play multiple games simultaneously.