Anything without a home!

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,507.50
I got almost to the end of Hollow Knight, but got a little burned out on the last few bosses. They keep wrecking me, mostly because I feel like I should be able to do better and get overconfident lol. I think I know what bosses you might be at, and the one that works kind of like Abyss Watchers in DkS3 took me a lot of attempts to nail down.

I think I ended up exploring a lot more than normal, so I got a lot more upgrades and stuff so some bosses ended up really easy, while others took me a while to learn.

Dead Cells design seems to favor NOT unlocking items, because that adds them to your possible item pool. That means you can dilute your good items down to a point where you'll get crappy items more often than not, and make subsequent runs difficult. I haven't played with shields much.

I do like the bosses so far for the most part, the Concierge and whatever the clock tower boss is. Only killed the Concierge, and got the other boss to about half before I couldn't keep up with the speed. Probably need slow effects to really get that one, but I've been unlocking items and upgrades to see what stuff I like.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 26,952.00
Wiki Edits: 41
Lich180 wrote:I got almost to the end of Hollow Knight, but got a little burned out on the last few bosses. They keep wrecking me, mostly because I feel like I should be able to do better and get overconfident lol. I think I know what bosses you might be at, and the one that works kind of like Abyss Watchers in DkS3 took me a lot of attempts to nail down.

I think I ended up exploring a lot more than normal, so I got a lot more upgrades and stuff so some bosses ended up really easy, while others took me a while to learn.

Dead Cells design seems to favor NOT unlocking items, because that adds them to your possible item pool. That means you can dilute your good items down to a point where you'll get crappy items more often than not, and make subsequent runs difficult. I haven't played with shields much.

I do like the bosses so far for the most part, the Concierge and whatever the clock tower boss is. Only killed the Concierge, and got the other boss to about half before I couldn't keep up with the speed. Probably need slow effects to really get that one, but I've been unlocking items and upgrades to see what stuff I like.

The two bosses that I can fight (that i'm aware of right now) one is a dung beetle and the other is a stronger version of the floaty magic guys i've fought. Not sure i've seen an abyss watcher style boss yet. But that sounds rad. I really disliked concierge. He seemed cool until I got to the last third of his health. That's when he starts basically endlessly attacking and not giving me an opening. Both times i've killed him were with two things that apply DoT.

Best to save any CC based effects until then because my first time fighting him I spammed traps on him and he eventually built a resistance and would break out of them nearly instantly. Clocktower boss is bullet hell when lower health. I don't mind this compared to the concierge. But I still think boss design in this game is it's weakest link.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,222.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
The abyss watchers style boss is super awesome, and fun to fight. Imagine mantis from kung fu panda, only with a spear. Funny thing about Hollow Knight, I actually got to the end of the game with my previous computer, which is pretty bad for playing anything above ps1 level games. After getting a new PC, the game's difficulty dropped significantly, now that my reaction time and framerate are up to standard.

Also bee playing a crap ton of Grim Dawn lately.
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 6,340.50
@EldritchImagination

I crawled back to steam and have been on a GD binge.
Last time I played, the last act of the main campaign wasn’t even in the game yet (I bought it early access years ago, when we had just 2 chapters. Or maybe just the 1st. I can’t remember).

I deleted my old characters and started over.

Shadow is halfway through Malmouth. Lvl 49 glass cannon Nightblade.
Also working on -
Omen - Trickster (Druid NB)
Seeker Shae - Deceiver (Inquisitor Occultist)
Miasma - Ritualist - (Necro Druid)
Archmage Kephas - Arcane (glass cannon)
Blight - Deathknight - (Soldier Necro)
Slacker - Demolitionist

It’s hard to actually express my joy with how this game shaped up in the end + an expansion + another expansion on the way. I’m pretty sure this might be my favorite isometric ARPG of all time. I haven’t played ‘Path of Exile’ in a few years to compare, but even then, it could only be tied with GD (If me listing my roster of toons like a schoolyard kid didn’t already imply that).

I’m a huge fan of sagas like ‘Malazan book of the Fallen’, and I’m currently reading Glen Cook’s ‘Black Company’ saga. Grim Dawn makes me feel like I’m playing a chapter in a similar setting. GD absolutely nails the feel of a broken/struggling military campaign in a dark fantasy world, even if the overall story is a bit basic. That’s actually how I like my rpg’s. Deep lore, basic story. That way I have the freedom to make my own. GD gives me that freedom in a setting that I throughly enjoy, with pretty decent lore to match.

I’m curious what classes you went with. And what you like about them. There are so many combinations, I’d be surprised if you even rolled any of the 7 I went with.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

SOOOO one of y'all gotta throw a crash course of Grim dawn together for me. Because I mentioned seeing a video about it and having some interest to a friend and because my friends occasionally spoil me I own it on Steam now with it's dlcs. x .x

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 6,340.50
Well, I’m no pro as far as end game grinding gear goes. I just beat the Malmouth dlc last night with a very squishy Nightblade. I hit bosses as hard as they hit me basically. Only I don’t have the godlike health pool.

But some things to know.

Regardless of spec, unless you like painful glass cannon builds, always throw points in Physique.
The gear has Attribute (Physique Cunning Spirit) requirements and it’s a pain to switch out upgrades when you have something giving you 5% Phys boost and taking it off means not being able to wear something you just had on. Or it just locks it out if you are already wearing it.

Not to mention the game is pretty mean in places, so it’s recommend to have lots of Phys regardless.
I have felt the pain of not doing this. More in the DLC than the base game. I can shred through mobs, but don’t really like getting hit.

The place this game really shines is with the dual classes.
Adding any two classes together will rename your class, which I think is pretty cool.
Put together a Soldier and a Necromancer for a Death Knight.
Occultist and Nightblade makes a Witchhunter.

Of course the names are just a smidge of the fun. Each class has a rather robust skill tree, which are easy to navigate and easy to respec.
It’s also easy to make a broken build, which is always good, since it means for better theory crafting.

However!!!
You CANNOT switch classes after selecting one. It gives an ‘undo’ option next to your chosen class tabs, but this goes away after you commit the first time.
By committing, I mean, unlocking the class window, spending the point, and closing the window.
You can refund points within each tree easily at an NPC for cheap, but you class choices are final.

I don’t know your play style, so can’t really recommend anything. But the options are not only plentiful, they are very fun to mess with.

I can also say that imo it looks rather limiting to stay in one class and not dual, because by adding points into the classes main bars gives an increase to all stats, favoring them by order of importance to the class.

This pushed me to turn my Nightblade into a Blademaster around lvl 53 (close to the dlc last boss) by dual specing with Soldier.
I finally maxed all my NB skills I wanted so I figured it would for the best. I was stubborn about wanting to max NB first, and it hurt since I was already so low on Physique. Fun though.

Potions are cheap. Keep lots.
Be careful about NPC choices. Not many have a big effect except the blacksmith hammer choice and at one point you must chose between two factions. They will give you an idea about their perks, but a quick google when you reach these points is recommended.

You unlock bag space by leveling. So don’t run around trying to figure it out. It’s automatic.

Hmmm. That’s all I can think of for a new player off the top of my head. I know that you know the basics of these games, so no need for that.

It’s definitely fun though if you like this style of game. Imo Path of Exile and Grim Dawn blow Diablo3 out of the water, and I played much much D3. It’s a good game but lacks in every department that makes Grim Dawn better (dual classing, more of an RPG atmosphere and journey).

The only downside to GD are the player character models. They are bland with no customization. But it isn’t really a big deal since you can also change your appearance easily through the Illusionist. And the head gear gets pretty cool, so no biggie.

Hope you like it.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Nahztek-Shadowpath wrote:Well, I’m no pro as far as end game grinding gear goes. I just beat the Malmouth dlc last night with a very squishy Nightblade. I hit bosses as hard as they hit me basically. Only I don’t have the godlike health pool.

But some things to know.

Regardless of spec, unless you like painful glass cannon builds, always throw points in Physique.
The gear has Attribute (Physique Cunning Spirit) requirements and it’s a pain to switch out upgrades when you have something giving you 5% Phys boost and taking it off means not being able to wear something you just had on. Or it just locks it out if you are already wearing it.

Not to mention the game is pretty mean in places, so it’s recommend to have lots of Phys regardless.
I have felt the pain of not doing this. More in the DLC than the base game. I can shred through mobs, but don’t really like getting hit.

The place this game really shines is with the dual classes.
Adding any two classes together will rename your class, which I think is pretty cool.
Put together a Soldier and a Necromancer for a Death Knight.
Occultist and Nightblade makes a Witchhunter.

Of course the names are just a smidge of the fun. Each class has a rather robust skill tree, which are easy to navigate and easy to respec.
It’s also easy to make a broken build, which is always good, since it means for better theory crafting.

However!!!
You CANNOT switch classes after selecting one. It gives an ‘undo’ option next to your chosen class tabs, but this goes away after you commit the first time.
By committing, I mean, unlocking the class window, spending the point, and closing the window.
You can refund points within each tree easily at an NPC for cheap, but you class choices are final.

I don’t know your play style, so can’t really recommend anything. But the options are not only plentiful, they are very fun to mess with.

I can also say that imo it looks rather limiting to stay in one class and not dual, because by adding points into the classes main bars gives an increase to all stats, favoring them by order of importance to the class.

This pushed me to turn my Nightblade into a Blademaster around lvl 53 (close to the dlc last boss) by dual specing with Soldier.
I finally maxed all my NB skills I wanted so I figured it would for the best. I was stubborn about wanting to max NB first, and it hurt since I was already so low on Physique. Fun though.

Potions are cheap. Keep lots.
Be careful about NPC choices. Not many have a big effect except the blacksmith hammer choice and at one point you must chose between two factions. They will give you an idea about their perks, but a quick google when you reach these points is recommended.

You unlock bag space by leveling. So don’t run around trying to figure it out. It’s automatic.

Hmmm. That’s all I can think of for a new player off the top of my head. I know that you know the basics of these games, so no need for that.

It’s definitely fun though if you like this style of game. Imo Path of Exile and Grim Dawn blow Diablo3 out of the water, and I played much much D3. It’s a good game but lacks in every department that makes Grim Dawn better (dual classing, more of an RPG atmosphere and journey).

The only downside to GD are the player character models. They are bland with no customization. But it isn’t really a big deal since you can also change your appearance easily through the Illusionist. And the head gear gets pretty cool, so no biggie.

Hope you like it.

Good to know about that stat. And good to know about the bag space as well. Deff would have freaked on that.
Diablo 3 was my first experience into these kind of games. I haven't played much exile but I wasn't too into it. GD looks more my style.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 91.00
Bank: 6,791.00
Wiki Edits: 5
my brother was pretty into build crafting in grim dawn for a couple months. this build should be enough to melt basically anything.
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/D2p0WPy2
devotion tree matters just as much as classes when build planning.

how the build works from a email my brother sent me
"Your armor is capable of launching 11 individual poison darts per second, each does 139 acid and (about 200 poison dps for 5 seconds, base damage ) ( (for comparison a mortar does about 500-750 fire damage per second, lasts 18 seconds and you can have about 5 in an optimized build), BUT THEN, you get 21x poison damage and 5x poison duration, WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY getting 100% reduction in poison duration on yourself (this means you are immune to reflection damage, which is what would kill a dual wielding poison nightblade).You can debuff poison resist over -100%, you can get like 7000 health/second regen against a single target and way more against multiple targets thanks to sigil of consumption and bat fang (comparable to this build since you get bat fang though these sigils do like 2x damage -> https://www.grimtools.com/calc/Q2zReeA2 ---- i think this is basically the second best (non pet (im not completely sure how the math works on pet builds)) build).
In practice poison darts are way more practical than cannon since they fire instantly and the poison lasts about 25 seconds you can more quickly posion a whole room full of monsters than hit them with the cannon aoe's.

200 poison dps * 21 (poison multiplier) * 2 (from minus resists) = 8400 poison damage per second * 11 (number of bolts) * 25 (seconds) = 2 million and 310 thousand poison damage guaranteed once all bolts are stacked (even warrior with shield with 90% block chance, 2000 damage reduction, and no cooldown will be fried within seconds) (and that's without taking crits into consideration, which might add about 50%)

you have a 25 chance to dodge any attack, 13% damage absorption,, two skill heals, two devotion heals, nightblade blade invincibility/reflect, and with debuffs, an effective 3000 oa/da, and a +47% to crits. 15% physical damage resist and not horrible armor for a caster (98% absorption). Max stun resist, okay resists vs other cc effects - but the killer feature is that cc has way less effect on you than on other builds, even less than the cannon build. You also have a ton of ways to trigger the poison bolts. Curse of frailty is 1 attempt per second on every monster affected, same with nightblade cold aura, same with your sigils, rumor, bat fangs, etc.
math to calculate how many against a single monster would be mildly complicated, but 11 chances, each at 5% probability, and probably about 7 attacks per second to trigger any one of those 11 bolts, and 7*n where n is each additional enemy.

Also from your attacks (acid spray, eye of dreeg, amarasta blade burst) you have an effective two more poison bolts worth of poison damage, so total poison damage would be more like 13 bolts."
Last edited by qeter on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 377,820.49
Bank: 8,962.71
Wiki Edits: 31948
People living within their means and saving for their own retirement instead of depending on government? Yes, sounds crazy... lol
Fextralife: Gaming News ⚔️ Sekiro Wiki ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon