Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Wickey420

Souls: 162.00
Just asking cuz it seems like the idea of a duel is to see whos better. So why does everyone heal constantly?

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 23,877.50
Wiki Edits: 26
Hmmmm...

What do you call a duel?

Duels are either :
1) arena duel => cannot heal with estus so ok since healing spells are a free back stab resetting the counter anyways
2) fight clubs => if you heal you are out one way or an other

It leaves us with invasions.

Invasions are not a duel, no more than a burglar trying to **** your wife is an honourable opponent on a beach in the sunrise.
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!
A duel is a test of you and your opponent. Not just in whos able to dodge better or who does more damage, but in adaptability. It's about being able to learn from your mistakes, or being able to learn how to deal with a new weapon or ability. If I'm going up against a weapon I've never seen before, or a spell or miracle I'm not familiar with, and you know my weapon, I'm at a big disadvantage. At that point, it's less a competition and more about how long I last until I'm dead. Healing allows me a chance to learn about this new threat and adapt to it. Now it's more of a fair fight. Also, it's available, so I'm gonna use it if necessary. Of course, you could always just use all your heals at the start, if it makes you feel better.

Rangrok

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,907.00
Short answer: to win

That said, there is something to be said for longer duels. Assuming both sides have the same number of estus (not going to happen in an invasion), and both sides heal, it turns it into a much longer fight. That way, the fight doesn't end when you make one mistake like say... getting parried/riposted by a hornet ring parry master. Then the winner is decided by who made the fewest mistakes, not who made the first mistake.

In practice... yeah no. Only reason to heal in PvP is to win.

Wickey420

Souls: 162.00
What happened: got invaded, wrecked invader. Got angry message from invader sayin if it was a fair duel, he would have won. I asked what he meant by a fair duel, he said that i had won because i used the environment to my advantage, and that id have no chance 1v1 in an open space. So i set up his fair duel, put him to like 20% he rolls away and heals. So i jumped off the map, and killed myself. Then posted here lol

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 23,877.50
Wiki Edits: 26
Wickey420 wrote:What happened: got invaded, wrecked invader. Got angry message from invader sayin if it was a fair duel, he would have won. I asked what he meant by a fair duel, he said that i had won because i used the environment to my advantage, and that id have no chance 1v1 in an open space. So i set up his fair duel, put him to like 20% he rolls away and heals. So i jumped off the map, and killed myself. Then posted here lol

I see.

the community has whiners of course, and this was one. Do not dwell on this this is a waste of your time. Lots of people just cannot accept defeat and try explaining their defeat by every possible mean before just accepting that they are not as good as they think they were.
move on.
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you, then I took a [dark souls] in the knee.

A hoonter must hoont!