Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

lordherpie

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 810.00
italofoca wrote:Interesting take.

Personally I have a hard time believe the 'grey' associated with age of the ancients is a balance between darkness and light simply because it predates both.

@lordherpie, I think the biggest challenge of your interpretation is fitting "fire is everything. darkness is nothing." with the game's creation myth because we know for sure: (1) there was a universe before fire, so it can't be "everything" (2) the universe without fire was the age of the ancients which wasn't dark in the sense of the game.

A second challenge is the notion that darkness is what fuels the first fire (which is not a hard fact but widely accepted speculation). I'm not sure the notion that "non-A" is the fuel of "A" makes a lot of sense.

Well... it is actually more complex in my mind then a simple 'fire is everything, dark is nothing'. I look at it in a more 'scientific' way... Kind of like the big bang theory, or dark energy theory.
I wasn't going to explain in detail since i doubt anyone would be interested since it is a bit of crazy-talk, but here we go :)

the grey is equilibrium all the elements combined as one. and then fire ignited... which is a distortion of this equilibrium starting a chain reaction. all the elements are spiraling out of control. gray is split into light and dark (which i will contradict in a minute, but i will explain this too), immortality split into life and death (like the arise of matter in the big bang).

Life, death and light are tangible, like all particles we can witness or prove in the universe. And dark is everything else...filling the void between those particles. like dark energy in our universe. it is most simply described as the force that causes our universe to expand.

Here is the strongest parralel: Darkness in Dark Souls can multiply. In my theory it expands where other elements are fading in a struggle for balance. It simply is the force that fills the void (rather then really BEING the void). The same is true for dark energy in the cosmos. As the universe expands, the percentage of the universee that is made up by particles is decreasing. therefore dark energy is percentage-wise increasing filling the void just like darkness in dark souls.
Whats more is that Dark energy might have existed before the big bang, which fits my parralel where i theorize that the increase in darkness is just the world reverting to its normal 'grey' state. Dark was always dominant until life, death and light came to be; dark was possibly always there (called 'gray') and as the other elements fade (due to the expansion of dark) the world will be as it was before.

I could go and drive myself nuts drawing all these parralels, but i will leave it at this.

Now... i am not a theoretical physicist so this might full of mistakes, and i might have misunderstood a whole lot about the big bank and dark energy, so don't shoot me for being wrong on this subject, but the way i understood all this just served as inspiration for my Dark Souls theory... and in Dark Souls i am never wrong until Miyazaki replies on my post and tells me im wrong XD, or until someone posts factual information that i cannot unify with my own theories, which is why i am sharing my thoughts here :).

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 44,757.50
Wiki Edits: 116
italofoca wrote:Interesting take.

Personally I have a hard time believe the 'grey' associated with age of the ancients is a balance between darkness and light simply because it predates both.

@lordherpie, I think the biggest challenge of your interpretation is fitting "fire is everything. darkness is nothing." with the game's creation myth because we know for sure: (1) there was a universe before fire, so it can't be "everything" (2) the universe without fire was the age of the ancients which wasn't dark in the sense of the game.

A second challenge is the notion that darkness is what fuels the first fire (which is not a hard fact but widely accepted speculation). I'm not sure the notion that "non-A" is the fuel of "A" makes a lot of sense.

Going By The Opening The World Of Gray Was How The World Was When it Was Unformed. Many Speculate That The World Was In Equilibrium Since The Fire Brought About Disparity. This Can Be Interpreted several Ways, I Find It Easiest To Think Of It As The Fire Showing A Lack Of Uniformity In The World And Even Being The Catalyst That Brought Form To The World.

As For Fuel For The Fire We Only Know That Currently Light And Dark Souls Are Used As Fuel For The Fire. We Know That There Very Souls Were A Byproduct Or Found In The Flames. This Would Be The Equivalent Of Saying That The Resin From A Number Of Burnt Logs Is The Fuel For A Fire Instead Of The Wood From The Logs Themselves. No One Knows What The Original Fuel For The Flame Was.

It's A Shame We Do Not Have More Hard Facts So We Can Delve Deeper Into The Lore

Shop Icon