Anything without a home!

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 19.00
Bank: 6,470.00
Wiki Edits: 5
Nahztek-Shadowpath wrote:All fantasy pop culture takes themes from DND which was inspired by Tolkein and Lovecraft, who were inspired by multiple ancient mythologies and folklore tales, tossed in a blender.

The theme of a militaristic order controlling esoteric knowledge can be traced back to the Crusades, the Inquisitions, and orders like the Templar Knights.

As far as a more direct rip-off, it’s debatable. WH is actually pretty old. It’s been around almost as long as DND if I’m not mistaken.

i get that, but the degree of similarity here is what strikes me. there is nothing about the lore in the games that makes the fade distinct from the warp.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

made a 10 mile round trip to buy a suit yesterday. i hate the sun.
last mile was not fun.

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Souls: 11,450.50
It's usually the UV that bugs me. That and all the pollen and dust in the spring and summer. And all the mosquitos at night.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Lich180 wrote:It's usually the UV that bugs me. That and all the pollen and dust in the spring and summer. And all the mosquitos at night.

it was 12-5 thing full sun. thankfully i have long hair so only my nose got near constant cooking.

Lich180

Revived
Savior

Ooh yeah that's the best time of day, get a nice strong tan.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.04558
https://google.github.io/tacotron/publi ... daptation/
top layer are human examples they are based off of.

interestingly the synthetic is always less natural then what it is based off of but different speaker have different levels of naturalness.
there's a table showing this in the paper.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,173.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Hey, has anyone been thinking about Valve's new Complete hands off policy of Steam. While the core concept is fantastic, the reality rubs me the wrong way. To be honest, While a ton of people believe Valve is showing courage and incredible pro-consumer practices with this policy, I think Valve is just be lazy and cowardly. They've been shown by many to have little to zero quality control and proper management of their own storefront, allowing games that range from poor, to broken and abandoned, to scams, to outright illegal on their storefront (at least in the dev business practices that come with them).

What does anyone else think?
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."

Lich180

Revived
Savior

I haven't really read much about that, but I think Valve kinda dropped out of my radar when they stopped making games.

From what you've said though, it makes sense that they want to control their own store front, rather than rely on Steam. But without quality control and good management, they won't get far.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

valves unorthodox organization means that creating a hard rules for steam would tear them apart internally. in terms of promoting things, i'm sure their is a AI solution albeit a very difficult one that will require years before it could be considered.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,173.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Lich180 wrote:I haven't really read much about that, but I think Valve kinda dropped out of my radar when they stopped making games.

From what you've said though, it makes sense that they want to control their own store front, rather than rely on Steam. But without quality control and good management, they won't get far.

Yeah. A lot of people (in fact most from what I see) are in full support of the policy, but don't seem to be seeing the full picture. I watched a Jim Sterling video on a intentionally poorly made and offensive game called AIDs simulator, and a lot of people who came from Youtuber Rags video that made fun of Jim's views just railed on Jim for "not supporting free market", and being pro-censor, and anti-consumer, without considering or arguing against Jim's points, typically with the main dismissing being, "if you don't like the game, don't buy it", despite the fact that it has been shown that indie developers objectively suffer from the saturation of poorly made games on steam that suffocate them, stopping people from seeing their game, getting attention, and being successful, as well as how the allowance of games that are super offensive and controversial just to be offensive and controversial invite unneeded controversy (surprisingly) which can bring gaming to the attention of people who gamers probably don't want getting involved, similar to how EA pulled that microtransaction business in Battlefront 2 and got the multiple governments involved over the issue.

Here's the policy announcement if you wan to read. The comments offer a look into the opinions people are having.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110 ... 6200553082

Thing is, I like the idea of allowing games of any kind on Steam without censoring or arbitrary regulation, but there needs to be a standard of quality and control over how things are done to stop potentially destructive, manipulative, exploitative behavior and practices by game devs. If Valve does that, then I have no problem with this policy, but at least right now, I think this is just so Valve doesn't have to do anything and can let people deal with the problem of bad and broken games, asset flips, and poor Dev behavior themselves, which many seem to want to anyways.
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."