Anything without a home!

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,991.50
Wiki Edits: 18
They *should* be impeached and in prison. Obama, Bush, all but like 3 members of the senate and overwhelming majority of the house. Wether or not you think people would be/were outraged when anyone else does it doesn't mean they're wrong for being outraged when Trump does it. And Trump continuing to do the exact same sort of corruption everyone else has done is the exact opposite of doing fine, especially when his explicit promise was to drain the swamp.

Which no, he's not trying to do. You don't drain the swamp by hiring the swamp for the majority of the most important positions in your administration. Draining the swamp is not putting verizon laywers who stand to make a fortune by cutting back on regulations (in the form of a high paying, low effort job at some telecommunications company) in charge of the FCC. Draining the swamp is not hiring bankers from the banks that destroyed the global economy to write your financial policy (which has, unsprprisingly, included undercutting or removing the already too weak Obama era regulation) who *also* stand to make a bunch of money for the same reasons. Draining the swamp is not refusing to divest from your company and letting foreign governments go send people to your DC hotel and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per night. Draining the swamp is not giving away cabinent positions to your largest donors with such frequency it could be mistaken for an auction. Draining the swamp isn't letting the EPA head ban all scientists who've ever recieved a government grant from advising on a subject so only bought and paid for corpeate scientists get to weigh in on EPA policy.

That is *exactly* the sort of corruption he (correctly) Slammed Hillary for. That *is* the swamp.

The fact is, between his ability to appoint cabinent members and because Obama expanded the scope and powers of executive orders so much, Trump could do a *lot* to drain the swamp if he actually wanted. And even what he can't do he could suggest bills to do and when it gets shot down for actually addressing corrpution, go on Twitter rants about how politicians X/Y/Z from states/districts A/B/C are blocking anti-corruption legislation and how they are the swamp. If he was actually attempting to drain the swamp and people got to see that, he stands to earn quite a lot of good will and could possibly torpedo those peoples campaigns.

Whenever time (and my understanding of the subject) permits I just skip the middleman and read the executive order or bill or look up the person in question or whatever directly, same as I do when voting, and for the same reasons. I have no reason to read the overwhelming majority of either "libreal" (ie effectively state democrat) or conservative (ie effectively state republican) media if I can understand the policy and go look up experts opinions on why it is or isn't a good idea, or look up their voting/buisness record and know they aren't fit for the position.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 305,645.49
Bank: 8,194.71
Wiki Edits: 23841
Rakuyo: No, you don't "get lucky" and bring North Korea to the table. It's been a huge issue in the region as was being used by China as a shield and tool to manipulate regional interests under threat of war. What the Trump admin did, very smartly, is go straight for China and pressure them, and force them to use that bargaining chip. This is all very high stakes poker, per se, and Kim was possibly in China just a couple of days ago and the reason NK reiterated their willingness to come back to the discussion table is again being driven out of Beijing. Not sure if international press even reports on this stuff.

Forum: I understand where you are coming from, but perhaps the crux is: The things that you mention were true for Obama and nobody decried impeachment for it - and thus is why the double standard irks me. This Citigroup email is quite demonstrative of the influence the bankers have - and this was on the very years following Sub Prime. So indeed I agree with you that politics is horribly corrupt and problematic, but at the same time I do not approve of the double standard and am of the firm opinion that people who are calling for impeachment of Trump over X or Y should similarly ask for the same treatment for everyone. Since I didn't go around decrying Obama for the same things, I won't do it for Trump. ((And yes I remember that from the very start of this thread you have always pointed out the Clinton side was disgustingly corrupt as well - I appreciate your honest "they all suck kick them all out" position))

I have some different views on what Trump is doing / achieving / failing at, but at the core he does not seem any more corrupt than anyone around him, making the incessant coverage of his every move a tedious cacophony.

I do think he has accomplished something amazing with China / Korea. The Japanese government is very pleased accordingly. But again all of that gets drawn out because "omg maybe he paid Stormy Daniels" - which again is "business as usual and nothingburger" for anyone else, but dominates headlines for Trump. I'm much more interested in discussing the policies indeed - both the good and the bad, and seeing where stuff could end up when he leaves.
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 379.50
Bank: 52,969.50
Wiki Edits: 11815
I still think he got lucky, and that 90% of his supposed input comes from sophisms and Trump's own marketing campaign.
Shop IconShop Icon

Elhanan

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 2,056.00
Guess it is Lucky for us that Trump is in there shaking hands with Kim instead of Hillary, who would likely be finding more things to blame for the ills of the world. This is one of the most surprising stories of my lifetime, which also includes the fall of the Berlin wall. Here's to to a step forward to global peace!
Last edited by Elhanan on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 305,645.49
Bank: 8,194.71
Wiki Edits: 23841
This isn’t luck, this was careful and smartly executed negotiation... now the real test begins, will North Korea keep its end of the bargain, or get aid then rescind like they did the last five times?
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon