Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Makimagister

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,069.00
Bert wrote:
In short, the more you upgrade a blessed item the faster it regens your health. Simple infusions do the same with Int and FP regen. Usually I like putting these on shields and parry tools.

So I put these things in my quickslots and get regen without having to use them? But I have to upgrade them with titanite to get more regen? Should I, I dont know, put some Cestus or Buckler in my slots and buff them? Where is a good point to upgrade them to without wasting expensive materials? +3? +6?

OK, First
1. Would you focusing on regen build or just have regen abilities.
If Regen build, You should have at least Faith 18, Attuement 14 and Equipment like this
- Greatsword or any high Physical AR weapon, I suggests Executioner greatsword (Regen 6 FP per enemy killed)
- 2 Spell slot
- Miracle spell, Tears of Denial and Blessed weapon
- Ethereal Oak Shield (Found in the watchtower at Painted world, DLC map) : it will regen 2 hp per tick and physical adsorption 100 %, upgrade the sheild did not enhance any regen effect
- Sacred Chime of Filianore (Reqired 18 Faith) : Have AOE regen skill 4 hp per tick for 60 second, upgrade the chime did not enhance any regen effect
- Sun Princess ring: Regen 2 hp per tick

2. Blessed infuse shield (if you have not DLC yet)

you will be fine on PVE Becasue regen effect and Executioner GS will give you 6 FP per killed. (Counted from other enemy which your summon firend or NPC get kill too)

Rangrok

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,816.00
Ehh... In my experience, you can get a casual regen build working with just a blessed buckler and the Sun Princess Ring. If you take things slow, you can really stretch your estus usage. Each of them is about +2 hp/sec, so combined you're up to around 4 hp/sec. Ideally you want to get enough faith so you can do decent damage with a blessed weapon, but that takes like 60 Faith and maybe 40 str/dex. I find constantly casting a buff to be... tiresome, even with a Lingering Dragoncrest Ring. It works to help top off your health every now and then, and walk off your occasional scrapes and bruises.

Bert

Casual
Convict

Souls: 365.50
I´ve leveld a bit and put points into faith to try out your suggestions. I gotta say Tears of Denial seams really nice, especially in coop (so one unlucky death doesnt end the session) and in boss fights, obviously. It hasnt triggered that much (thankfully) but it, at least, feels nice to have.

I wasnt really planning to do a "regen" build, though having a constant sources of HP (and FP) sounds nice. I actually ran into a situation where I helped somebody through most of Ashes of Ariandel but had no Estus left right before the bossfight and was at half HP. Thankfully the guy knew what to do, send me away and then re-summed me so I could at least get the medal for the boss, but in general, I´d say running out of Estus is not to be underestimated, at least in the tough areas. I do have the sun princess ring and the Oak shield, maybe I should use these more. Just a shame the Oak shield doesnt have a bit more stability. The Black Knight shield is just really, really good at blocking and noticably, with blocking fire - while seemingly all of the bosses do have some kind of fire attack. I don´t even block that often, I always dodge first, but having the shield ready just in case does prevent some nasty hits here and there on top (in Bloodborne you could undo your occasional **** with the regain system, in Dark Souls every hit taken seems to hurt permanently).

Also, I saw what you mean that Tears of Denial and other miracles don´t go too well together, there´s just hardly any FP left after using it, and to use both at the same time you need three miracle slots. While I know I can technically cast Tears, rest at a bonfire, slot something else and have full FP again, that only applies when I´m in my own world and not when I´m getting summoned or invading. Also, weapon buffs in this game feel... just awkward. No matter if I´m using a spell or an item, I either have to unslot my offhand weapon, cast the buff and switch back, or switch out my Estus flask, apply the buff and switch back. That´s a lot of button presses, especially when under pressure, and screwing up can cost you a critical block/parry or even an Estus heal. And to top it all off, buffs dont even seem to last all that long (barely even one boss phase). Bloodborne was a lot smoother here. Buffs could just be pre-selected on the "quick item" menu, which was completely seperate from your basic healing items and your weapon slots - so select whichever buff you want and just leave it there. You press one button to buff your weapon, and that´s it. Easy to apply, easy to re-apply even during combat, no chance of accidently switching your weapon or your healing out. Sure, that as well is a skill I can learn, but it feels like it´s a skill I shouldnt need to learn and more like a weird design choice.

Rangrok

Obsessed
Commander

Yeah I can imagine the difficulty in weapon buffs. If it's any consolation, you can get pine bundles, an item which uses the Bloodborne weapon buff animation. However bundles only lasts a few seconds. Pine resins require you to stop and slowly apply the buff, but again they're an item you can just put on your quickbar. Unless you're using a spell with high magic stats, resins will do fine, if you even feel they're necessary.

Bert

Casual
Convict

Resins and bundles were what I refered to when I wrote "item based buffs". I just think it´s finnicky that, in order to apply them, I have to de-select my estus flask and re-select it afterwards. Screw this up, especially in combat, and you might end up not drinking a shot of Estus when you needed to. That cant happen in Bloodborne as that game has one button for heals only.

Bert

Casual
Convict

I fought my way through Ariandel. Boy, this area is brutal - the regular enemies much worse than the bosses.

Friede is, so far, the best designed boss battle in the entire game. Tough, but glorious, though she did feel a lot like a Bloodborne boss, only with a slow down character (but the ability to block made up for that a bit). Harsh contrast to the gravetender, which is just a guy with that annoying super sonic wolf, but I still defeated them first try.
Also, going from Friede back into the main game and fighting a "regular" boss like Orceiros felt like a cakewalk. As do Black Knights compared to Millwood Knights. Honestly I had to completely relearn combat for these guys because they can just not be staggered and hit absolutely brutally. Nothing in Bloodborne prepared me for this.
... now that I think about it, I never tried to parry these guys. Dang. I need to go back and try that out, for practice alone.

- I´m certainly getting my mileage out of Tears of Denial
- currently using the Lucerne. Like the speed and range, both one- and two handed, and the weapon art is just fun. Plus it produces counter hits all the time.
- will try pushing DEX to 70, seems to be decent scaling for most weapons
- planning a build to level 150. 120 feels not quite powerful enough for my PvE needs, but I dont want to miss occasional coop and invasions. I had a look at high level play (200+) and while I dont mind the leveling per se, it looked a bit disappointing that basically everyone ran around in Havel´s armor. So I´ll have a look how 150 feels
- I´m gonna experiment with poise a bit. As far as I understand, you can calculate exactly how much poise you need to take hits depening on the weapon you use. According to my research I´ll aim for roughly 38 poise on my current goal level of 150

Rangrok

Obsessed
Commander

Oh you just got through Oceiros? Make sure you find the hidden wall behind his boss area (near the Path of the Dragon gesture). I suspect you already have, if you're talking about Black Knights. And if you didn't pick up on the parallelism, the "Path of the Dragon" sitting gesture is this game's "Make Contact" gesture. You find it on a strange corpse which is making said gesture, and it causes some weird events if used at the right time. Most of these events are at Archdragon Peak, which require said gesture to even reach. Furthermore, the Coiled Sword Fragment is an infinite Homeward Bone, if you were curious. If you really don't think you need the infinite homeward bones, you can give it to the Firelink Crow for a titanite Slab.

The boss behind the hidden wall beyond Oceiros is one of the best bosses in the base game. If you can't parry, it's also one of the hardest. Furthermore, while Archdragon Peak has another dreaded gimmick boss, it also has what is popularly considered the hardest boss in the base game.

That said, Friede is my favorite boss in DS3, but she only barely beats out some of the bosses in the Ringed City IMO.

Bert

Casual
Convict

Thanks for the hint, but yes, I found the hidden area behind Orceiros quite handily - it was plastered with signs on the ground. I also got through the next boss, and yes, he droppkicked my bottom quite unfavorably. At least he lacked a transformation phase. But even he did feel pretty tame after Friede, though I´m kinda bummed I completely forgot about parrying bosses. Which is why I said earlier I need to go and practice that again, cant be a scrub forever.

Gonna be sure to look for Archdragon Peaks. Thanks for the heads up.

Bert

Casual
Convict

So, I think I´ve beaten all the main game bosses so far except the final one. The Nameless King seems to be the most infamous one, and I can see why - but it´s also the most engaging bossfight in the main game, I would say. Phase 1 reminded me of Bloodborne´s Amygdala, as it seems wise to avoid the far reaching attacks and strike when the boss lowers his head. Phase 2 is tough, but thankfully not overly agressive, and his attacks dont have the best tracking (though quite wide angles). What helped me a lot was the Lothric Knight shield with its great lightning resistance, as I could learn how far his swings reach without risking to take a lot of damage if I misjudge, and then use that knowledge to get hits on him when it was safe. The fight was at the very least not frustrating, unlike the area before - I hate the giant snake men with a passion with their super wide swings, burtal damage and unflinching poise. Especially that horde mode sequence where you fight towards that one altar on the summit was a true nailbiter. They were also what annoyed me the most during the Ancient Wyvern "fight" - which, you know, was more of an environmental hindrance than an actual fight (thank you, two dozen messages saying "do a drop attack"). Though I admit oneshotting a dragon is pretty cool (would have been cooler if I hadnt missed the head on my first attempt and squashed dead on the ground, but still).

Next up for me is the Ringed City, but I´m dabbling a bit in PvP now that I´m around the meta level. I have occasional success as an invader (I tend to mess around more than I do chasing down the host, and try not to get too ganky), but I actually got pretty good success as a Darkmoon Blade or as a summon in Anor Londo, counting 1on1 situations as well as (evenly matched) group fights. Now, my opinion on Ultra Greatswords has flipped 180 degrees. They´re my favorite PvP weapon now by far. What I actually thought I wanted from polearms, I get from UGS instead, which is the range and the wide swings - controlling engagement range is my favorite way to fight. The wide swings especially help in PvP as it always feels to me that at least a bit of lag is in play, and it catches enemies far easier than, for example, the Lucerne does, and has enough punch to stun them. I tried the Lucerne for a while but couldnt really get a feel for it, both in PvP and PvE - the range and the stagger potential feel kinda lacking. And the R2 feels borderline useless. The weapon art is neat, but doesnt sell the whole weapon.
So, currently having fun with UGS. The Astora Greatsword is still a trusty companion, but I just started using the Lothric Knight Greatsword. Boy, this thing is absolutely brutal - especially the weapon art R2 does devastating damage and gives so much hyperarmor that you can just bait people into it and treat them like a Skyrim giant treats a level 5 newb character. The burst damage is real, no weapon dispatches people quicker than well a placed LKGS stomp, it seems. And I´m not even using any fancy buffs, just the sword at +10 with 65 dexterity (65 including the DEX ring. I can alternatively put on the STR ring and have 24 STR 60 DEX to use it one handed, which I occasionally do in PvE). Only real bummer with the LKGS is the weight - I can either equip Lothric Knight Sword, Astora Greatsword, Black Knight shield and a talisman with my favorite armor (Alva Set with Soldier Helm, because open face) or I can wear just the LKGS and barely the Etheral Oak shield on the back if I switch out one piece of armor. That´s a lot less flexibility in comparison, and I´m not realy fit to change weapons outside of the quickslot menu when in combat.
I´ve put fairly few points into VIT as I manage my equipment load mainly with the help of the Ring of Favor and Prisoner´s Chain´s ring. I was kinda turned off by the extra damage but I cant say I really noticed it that much, certainly not enough to discard what is basically 15 levels worth of stats. Given that I found what I think is my favorite look in the fairly light Alva set, I don´t have too strong of a desire to upgrade to heavier armor anyway.

I tried to practice my parrying skills a bit... can´t say I´ve really been succesfully. I used both he Cestus and the Llewellyn shield, chose the early game Lothric Knights as my practice target. I can parry some of their wide sword swings and running attacks with decent success, but I still get hit a lot, and I get completely lost trying to parry their spears. When I try my luck on some more substantial enemies like the Silver Knights in Anor Londo, I get wrecked, while I have no trouble whatsoever fighting them with my regular tactics. And in PvP it seems even more unreliable, when player skill and some latency come into play... all for a riposte opportunity that isnt even a guaranteed kill. And it´s not like other people I fight alongside or against use parry to any success in PvP (unlike lagstabs, which can be completely infuriating)... it just seems too risky for what it actually gets you, especially compared to other, far safer tactics like controlling range, baiting, abusing hyper armor and such. Or maybe I´m just a scrub, I don´t know. I don´t take PvP that serious anyway - but I admit it can be lot of fun :)

lordherpie

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 810.00
sounds like you are doing fine! good luck with Ringed city.. its so brutal! if you get trough that, then there is nothing soulsborne you will not be able to handle.