Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 42,411.00
Wiki Edits: 116
I Was Talking About This In Another Thread And Felt Like Adding This Observation Here. With Fire Causing Disparity, Gwyn's Seal Of Fire On Early Man Also Carried That Disparity Over To The Dark, Forcibly Linking Them More Than They Were. I Wonder How The Undead Would Have Been Without This Seal of Fire. I Bet It Would Have Been More Like the Hollows We Saw in The Intro Of DS1.

Shop Icon

lordherpie

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 597.00
dn1nd wrote:I Was Talking About This In Another Thread And Felt Like Adding This Observation Here. With Fire Causing Disparity, Gwyn's Seal Of Fire On Early Man Also Carried That Disparity Over To The Dark, Forcibly Linking Them More Than They Were. I Wonder How The Undead Would Have Been Without This Seal of Fire. I Bet It Would Have Been More Like the Hollows We Saw in The Intro Of DS1.

that is quite interesting, it could possibly create a very interesting scenario:

if assuming that dark is inversely proportional to light (and in my hypothesis also to life and death, and pretty much everything); then placing this seal would prevent the natural course of events. as the hollowing of the population might have been the primary source dark growing to balance the decreasing of the other powers.

So after placing the seal, other sources of darkness might have started to ooze/spread/generate much more of it to make up for the loss of hollowing humans as a source of dark?

Im not sure, but could this be basis for an alternative theory about manus and the abyss?
are there more creatures of dark that lack the sigil of gwynn that went mad with darkness at the time?

more on topic;

if the darkness contued spreading via other routes, the fire would possibly fade without slowdown, and with it, gwynns seal.. and with that, hollowing would commence again... going faster as the fire fades. if this all is true, alternative sources would normalize as well as fire faded further.
this might be a bit too much speculation, but would it fit?

To clarify this messy thinking:

Could it have happened as follows with what we know about the abyss and chronology;

- Dark spreads through humanity / flame fades / power of the lords declines (in relation to eachother)
- gwyn contains the dark via his seal
- kaathe has people of oolacile unearth an alternative source of dark (manus)
- as the sole source of darkness (not contained by the seal) darkness spreads extremely fast via this person and creates the abyss.

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 42,411.00
Wiki Edits: 116
Kaathe Was The First To Hint At This Seal In DS1.

Ahh... If you wish, I shall grant the art of Lifedrain, the legendary power of the Dark Lord. It can preserve your humanity while Undead, and cast off the shackles placed upon your brethren.

Aldia Also References Or Hints At This Seal.

Peace grants men the illusion of life.
Shackled by falsehoods, they yearn for love, unaware of its grand illusion.
Until, the curse touches their flesh.
We are bound by this yoke.
As true as the Dark that churns within men.
All men trust fully the illusion of life.
But is this so wrong?
A construction, a facade, and yet...
A world full of warmth and resplendence.
Young Hollow, are you intent on shattering the yoke, spoiling this wonderful falsehood?

Also Don't Forget Midir Is In The Ringed City Eating Any Dark That Might Escape.

Shop Icon