Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 2,266.00
Bank: 62,729.50
Wiki Edits: 13521
another question i want to answer is what Velka's role is in the whole 'chosen undead' myth,
Since Crows (and the large crow that carries the chosen undead from the asylum to the mainland) are associated with Velka, i assume she has a special interest in this scheme.

Velka as the rogue goddess probably doesn't follow the "Chosen Undead" narrative.
I think her position is more likely to be aligned with those Kaathe and the Darkwraiths of New Londo.

Some people think the giant crow is Velka, or at least a servant of Velka, and they may be right.
Why does she transport Undead from The Undead Asylum to Lordran? Maybe she does it so that they might one day kill the gods.

Velka however is in conflict with Gwyndolin (correct?).

Correct
Shop IconShop Icon

lordherpie

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 810.00
Velka as the rogue goddess probably doesn't follow the "Chosen Undead" narrative.
I think her position is more likely to be aligned with those Kaathe and the Darkwraiths of New Londo.

Based on what you and others have posted here, i see what you mean. but slightly off-topic: as i said i'm working under the assumption that frampt and kaathe are in it together (many topics about this on various sites if you should need a reference, so i wont get into that topic to deep here), and their manipulation have various parties working together to a single goal sometimes without them even knowing it. From what we know about Velka, she would not be interested in assisting in the chosen undead plot. But the crow from the Asylum might be a contradiction to this.

Some people think the giant crow is Velka, or at least a servant of Velka, and they may be right.
Why does she transport Undead from The Undead Asylum to Lordran? Maybe she does it so that they might one day kill the gods.

This is the easiest and most likely answer, but as i said before, its a boring and uninteresting one :)
More interesting, and much more speculative, would be that she is willingly or unwillingly assisting the snakes in furthering their goal (1).
another explanation is that she is aware of the plot, and is trying to take advantage of it to fullfil her own interests (2).

Some people have theorized that Velka might be the mother of Gwynns children, i have not researched that angle and do not know if there is even the slightest piece of evidence of that claim, but maybe i should research it to see if that might shed light on her motivations, and her portraitation in the DS games because if that were true, it might clarify scenario (2).

Id like to say again that i am not really looking to contribute to the lore-community with this post, but that im looking for a way to piece velka into my own, very personal interpretation, so forgive me for my heavy speculation that is most likely very un-interesting to the lore-hunters who wanna see evidence for lore-theories.

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 45,205.50
Wiki Edits: 116
Well If Its Speculation, I Love Wildly Delving Into It.

How You Can Reconcile The Chosen Undead With Velka Is As Follows,

Velka Being Associated With The Occult Weapons And The Crow Helping You OUt Of The Asylum, As Well As Finding Access To The Painted World Upon Retuning And Being Strong Enough To Brave The Paionted World Where A Lot Of Velka's Items Are Stored. I Would Assume Velka Would Use The Chosen Undead As A Candidate To Kill The Gods And Subtly Provided The Means Of The Chosen Undead To Do So.

So Her Motivation Wouldn't Be The Same As Kaathe And Fraampt But Would Hinge On Helping The Chosen Undead.

Shop Icon

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 2,266.00
Bank: 62,729.50
Wiki Edits: 13521
Some people have theorized that Velka might be the mother of Gwynns children, i have not researched that angle and do not know if there is even the slightest piece of evidence of that claim, but maybe i should research it to see if that might shed light on her motivations, and her portraitation in the DS games because if that were true, it might clarify scenario (2).

Well there's this mother and child statue in Ariamis.

People think Priscilla is the child (probably true) and that Velka is the mother (might be true).

That same statue appears in New Londo, then again, mother and child statues appear all over in DS1.
Shop IconShop Icon

lordherpie

Addicted
First Warden

Good, good. Get in there nice n deep boys n girls.
Inspiration > evidence :)

Im thinking of writing down my entire ds1, 2, 3 story for myself and paste notes with questions about people and place with it...
And when DS remastered comes out i will play the whole trilogy with notes beside me to answer those questions... Filling in the gaps with wild speculations (because as we all know we cannot answer everything with evidence :))
Not just about Velka, but about my whole interpretation; kaathe and frampt, their motivations (i believe they set up everything... Even before the birth of the lords... In rivalry with the dragons)

Dragonscholar

Casual
Convict

Souls: 533.00
As was told in Ashen Hollow's video, as nothing clearly rules out the Furtive Pygmy (FP) being a woman, I do think there is a possibility that Velka is the FP. Kaathe uses words that could refer to a man or a woman (progenitor and ancestor).
"But your progenitor found a fourth, unique soul. The Dark Soul." "Your ancestor claimed the Dark Soul"

That would explain the "god" title. It would also explain her motivations in finding the Chosen Undead, a worthy successor, who will overthrow the Age of Fire. Why not do it herself? By splitting the Dark Soul, the FP's power might have been diluted, while the Chosen Undead's quest is to coalesce all souls within himself to gain enough power to either link the flame or usher in the Age of Dark. All in all, Velka's goals and the FP's goals seem very aligned.

There is also important female protagonists that are linked to the Dark, most notably Manus' daughters and the three sisters of the Sable Church of Londor. Manus could even be Velka's husband, which could explain the Broken Pendant as an artifact of Velka's. It could also explain how Manus ended up being the father of the Abyss and why he had such power, while never being called the FP.

The main problem is the clear difference between the male statue in the Ringed City and Velka's statues in the sewers and in Ariamis. My guess would be that the kneeling pygmy statue represents someone else than the FP. On other threads, it is often thought that the Pygmy split the Dark Soul as a plot to slowly overthrow the Age of Fire, so I doubt that the FP would be foolish enough to submit himself to Gwyn and live in the Ringed City's illusions.

Here is also a thread started by Iacehmi:
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/com ... ive_pygmy/
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,509.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
There's a reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaal big problem with that theory and it hinges on her relationship with the other gods. One of the basic elements of that concept is that the Furtive Pygmy is all about the age of dark in opposition to the other gods. Take a peek at the description of the Book of the Guilty...

"The goddess of Sin, Velka, oversees this list of the guilty, who have disrespected the Gods or their covenants, and shall one day face the wrath of the Blades of the Darkmoon"

And if you take a look at the list of actions that cause sin in the game (here) there's a ton or indications that Velka works right alongside the other gods in many cases. Sin is incurred for crossing Gwyndolin, Gwynevere or Priscilla. Velka's domain really seems to revolve more around justice than any sort of direct antagonistic relationship with the other gods. Any attack on an NPC or across a variety of covenants (some for the Gods, some not so much) is given the exact same weight.

And if you're looking for more proof, the Book of the Guilty is directly tied to Velka. She oversees the list and acts essentially as the judge and jury. However, the EXECUTIONER part is entrusted to the Blades of the Darkmoon. Even after the departure of nearly all the gods, that covenant is still overseen by one looking to continue the age of fire.

In other words, there is a direct SYMBIOTIC relationship between Velka and the other gods. There's some indication that Velka was also the one who would bring justice for transgressions that the gods themselves were responsible for. And some evidence to be sure that the Velka and the other gods had a falling out. Even still it's notable that the rules of the Book of the Guilty are still used by the last remaining god.

The only way to reconcile Velka being the Furtive Pygmy would be to establish that the FP/Velka worked to create a world where the dark and fire coexisted. It's not that this ins't a possibility, but it's a lot more that needs to evidence. DS3 seems to suggest this wasn't the case as a matter of fact.

TL;DR: There's too much evidence to suggest Velka worked alongside the other gods to simply state she was an anatagonistic force. Velka was clearly NOT trying to rid the world of fire.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 45,205.50
Wiki Edits: 116
Skare You Make me Want To List All The Lovely Reasons Velka Would Seek Out Judgement On The Other Gods.

1) Gwyn Sealing Human's In A RIng Of Fire.

2) Gwyn Relinking The First Flame

3) WOI Creating The Chaos Flame

4) Seathe And His Unnatural Pursuits Of Maidens

5) I Also Suspect Nito's Proliferation Of Bane And Disaster Would Be Seen As A Sin

Also As An Aside, Oswald Of Carim( The Pardoner In the Bell Tower) Mentions How It Is Only Human To Commit Sin.

Maybe Velka Had Higher Standards For The Gods.

Shop Icon
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,509.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
That's what I was alluding to when I said there's reason for a falling out.

The big thing is that there's just as much evidence showing collaboration.

It's why I think of her as neutral. Wrong is wrong to Velka based on deeds rather than power source. The gods promote fire regardless of cost. Manus and daughters promote the dark.

Velka is the only one promoting ethics
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

lordherpie

Addicted
First Warden

maybe slightly off topic; but replaying DS1 made me wonder about the painted world (which is related to velka, so only slighlty off topic :D).

Why is pricilla's doll in the prison cell where you started.
The whole revisiting the Asylum is weird... i mean... curl up in that nest?
and then someone planted the doll in your old cell...

You were obviously ment to find it, but no-one tells you to go back except a prompt to curl up like an egg XD, so you weren't ment to find it easily.

Is this Velka's doing? is there any theory about all this? or is this just a gaming thing (nah it isnt, that would be lame).
Also... snuggly the crow...

okee... new theory... Snugly is Velka!! XD

EDIT:

ive been reading some item descriptions, and now im wondering if whoever planted the doll for you to find want you to discover the paining to find the power to kill the gods and their followers, or if they simply want to trap you inside because you are considered a threat to the gods.

many people seem to believe Velka is priscilla's mother. this could explain why she turned against her fellow 'gods'.
PRiscilla's descriptions mention her as 'the anthesis of all life'. this to me strongly suggests that she is very similar to the ancient dragons that seem to be responsible for half her being (some say seathe). If that is what she embodies, combined with the power to kill the gods (lifehunt|), it is understandable why the gods would fear priscilla...

Velka, as a mother, could easily have turned upon her former allies when they decided to rid themselves of her precious daughter. to me it sounds as if priscilla was locked up in the painting when she was really young (and still innoscent), as all that remains of her in lordran is a childs doll, all the more reason for a mother to rebel against such a decision...