Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 919.00
Bank: 49,521.00
Wiki Edits: 11396
another question i want to answer is what Velka's role is in the whole 'chosen undead' myth,
Since Crows (and the large crow that carries the chosen undead from the asylum to the mainland) are associated with Velka, i assume she has a special interest in this scheme.

Velka as the rogue goddess probably doesn't follow the "Chosen Undead" narrative.
I think her position is more likely to be aligned with those Kaathe and the Darkwraiths of New Londo.

Some people think the giant crow is Velka, or at least a servant of Velka, and they may be right.
Why does she transport Undead from The Undead Asylum to Lordran? Maybe she does it so that they might one day kill the gods.

Velka however is in conflict with Gwyndolin (correct?).

Correct
Shop IconShop Icon

lordherpie

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 597.00
Velka as the rogue goddess probably doesn't follow the "Chosen Undead" narrative.
I think her position is more likely to be aligned with those Kaathe and the Darkwraiths of New Londo.

Based on what you and others have posted here, i see what you mean. but slightly off-topic: as i said i'm working under the assumption that frampt and kaathe are in it together (many topics about this on various sites if you should need a reference, so i wont get into that topic to deep here), and their manipulation have various parties working together to a single goal sometimes without them even knowing it. From what we know about Velka, she would not be interested in assisting in the chosen undead plot. But the crow from the Asylum might be a contradiction to this.

Some people think the giant crow is Velka, or at least a servant of Velka, and they may be right.
Why does she transport Undead from The Undead Asylum to Lordran? Maybe she does it so that they might one day kill the gods.

This is the easiest and most likely answer, but as i said before, its a boring and uninteresting one :)
More interesting, and much more speculative, would be that she is willingly or unwillingly assisting the snakes in furthering their goal (1).
another explanation is that she is aware of the plot, and is trying to take advantage of it to fullfil her own interests (2).

Some people have theorized that Velka might be the mother of Gwynns children, i have not researched that angle and do not know if there is even the slightest piece of evidence of that claim, but maybe i should research it to see if that might shed light on her motivations, and her portraitation in the DS games because if that were true, it might clarify scenario (2).

Id like to say again that i am not really looking to contribute to the lore-community with this post, but that im looking for a way to piece velka into my own, very personal interpretation, so forgive me for my heavy speculation that is most likely very un-interesting to the lore-hunters who wanna see evidence for lore-theories.

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 42,411.00
Wiki Edits: 116
Well If Its Speculation, I Love Wildly Delving Into It.

How You Can Reconcile The Chosen Undead With Velka Is As Follows,

Velka Being Associated With The Occult Weapons And The Crow Helping You OUt Of The Asylum, As Well As Finding Access To The Painted World Upon Retuning And Being Strong Enough To Brave The Paionted World Where A Lot Of Velka's Items Are Stored. I Would Assume Velka Would Use The Chosen Undead As A Candidate To Kill The Gods And Subtly Provided The Means Of The Chosen Undead To Do So.

So Her Motivation Wouldn't Be The Same As Kaathe And Fraampt But Would Hinge On Helping The Chosen Undead.

Shop Icon

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 919.00
Bank: 49,521.00
Wiki Edits: 11396
Some people have theorized that Velka might be the mother of Gwynns children, i have not researched that angle and do not know if there is even the slightest piece of evidence of that claim, but maybe i should research it to see if that might shed light on her motivations, and her portraitation in the DS games because if that were true, it might clarify scenario (2).

Well there's this mother and child statue in Ariamis.

People think Priscilla is the child (probably true) and that Velka is the mother (might be true).

That same statue appears in New Londo, then again, mother and child statues appear all over in DS1.
Shop IconShop Icon

lordherpie

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 597.00
Good, good. Get in there nice n deep boys n girls.
Inspiration > evidence :)

Im thinking of writing down my entire ds1, 2, 3 story for myself and paste notes with questions about people and place with it...
And when DS remastered comes out i will play the whole trilogy with notes beside me to answer those questions... Filling in the gaps with wild speculations (because as we all know we cannot answer everything with evidence :))
Not just about Velka, but about my whole interpretation; kaathe and frampt, their motivations (i believe they set up everything... Even before the birth of the lords... In rivalry with the dragons)