The place to discuss Dark Souls II

Back_Lot_Basher

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 22,721.00
Wiki Edits: 15
I have a hexer that I made for using the Chime Hammer, with 40 str, 30/30 int & fai, and 18 dex. I really want to have a bow for situational use, and noticed the Dragonrider gets good scaling in strength. Since it also gets some inherent minor scaling from int, should I infuse it magic to boost this, or leave it the way it is with no infusion? I looked at Dark, but it had a three way split damage.

Or, are there better bow options at 40, 18, 30/30 hexers? I'm only using it for PvE.
"Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument"

Toschek

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 615.00
Wiki Edits: 2
I believe Dragonrider Bow does some magic damage already, it shows a C for magic scaling. Funny enough there, there isn’t an INT requirement but you still get C scaling from increasing your INT. That makes this one a great bow to keep in your kit for when you run out of casts as a battlemage build.

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 1,935.50
Bank: 57,391.00
Wiki Edits: 12653
For a Strength build I'd just use Composite Bow (my go to bow for every Souls game).

Dragonrider Bow is a boss soul weapon and eats up precious Petrified Dragon Bones.

Bows are generally not that interesting for anything other than sniping, baiting and low level Dex builds.

They just don't compete with catalysts when you're at such a high level.
Shop IconShop Icon

Nunkuruji

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 7,711.50
I would not recommend splitting the damage 3 ways, unless you are using it to trigger environmental objects with element damage, but arrow types can cover that.

You can make the numeric decision on infusion with the usual AR calculator, or gain some insight to the scaling factors here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1209442946

The bows really all have a niche they are best at, at a glance this is what I recall

DRB
Slow(est?) bow
Heaviest bow
Magic damage, chip shields or boss/enemy weakness
DRB & Composite lowest range

Composite Bow
Likely highest effective damage bow, pure physical
DRB & Composite lowest range

Short Bow
Fast(est?) firing bow
Lowest Stamina

Sea & Black Bow
Longest distance bows
I can see it in your eyes. If you didn't invade, didn't pillage, whatever would you do?
DS3 Phantom Build Guide Doc (non meta SL) (Thread)
DS:Re Phantom Build Guide Draft

Back_Lot_Basher

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

I guess I'll just leave it the way it is for now. But a magic infusion does seem to improve it a fair bit, since I'm a hexer with 40 str and 30 int. Despite all the knocks against it, the bow seems to be pretty useful for getting in a few good hits at range before switching to melee. I wasn't going to use all those bones for upgrading, but had a bunch from doing Brume Tower, and they're pretty easy to farm. The only other weapon I expect to upgrade with bones is the Crypt Blacksword.

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 1,935.50
Bank: 57,391.00
Wiki Edits: 12653
Back_Lot_Basher wrote:I guess I'll just leave it the way it is for now. But a magic infusion does seem to improve it a fair bit, since I'm a hexer with 40 str and 30 int. Despite all the knocks against it, the bow seems to be pretty useful for getting in a few good hits at range before switching to melee. I wasn't going to use all those bones for upgrading, but had a bunch from doing Brume Tower, and they're pretty easy to farm. The only other weapon I expect to upgrade with bones is the Crypt Blacksword.

It's your choice, but I find farming them to be pretty tedious.

You need 15 of them just to upgrade one boss weapon, and if they're not fully upgraded they don't compete with +10 plain weapons.
Shop IconShop Icon

Back_Lot_Basher

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

I had much better luck with Bones than I did with sunlight medals. I needed them all in order to get the Sunlight Spear, and after getting 15 or so, the servers went down on Xbox for 4 or 5 days, so I figured I would farm the Falconers. Drop rates were poo.

And I agree...the requisite farming is an absolute blight on this otherwise brilliant franchise.