Anything without a home!

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 5,264.00
Wiki Edits: 4
Forum_Pirate wrote:I have discovered Precure. I like Precure.

Always been kinda interested in trying those out, but it almost feels too big at this point to break into. Kinda like Gundam or One Piece :lol!:

Which one did you start with?
A system error occurred during event movement.
A system error occurred during event movement...

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Reaperfan wrote:
Forum_Pirate wrote:I have discovered Precure. I like Precure.

Always been kinda interested in trying those out, but it almost feels too big at this point to break into. Kinda like Gundam or One Piece :lol!:

Which one did you start with?

The... first one? Futari Wa Precure.

This one
Watch on youtube.com

Oh, also, all the precure series are unrelated, story wise. So like, there isn't a huge backlog of stuff the shows just assume you know and they don't assume character investment you don't necessarily have.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,102.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Okay, after watching almost all of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I think I can better that question about an anime with clone identity theme, also spoilers on Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Okay, so Rei is an artificially created human, and there are actually dozens of her just waiting to be put to use, like tools. They're clones with the same personality, and even aware that they're clones, yet have such a apathetic reaction to it. I'd like an anime like that, that focuses on that theme.

Also, after watching a lot of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I really want something like it too, in terms of giant robots fighting a imminent threat kind of way.
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 433.00
Bank: 5,855.00
Wiki Edits: 5
EldritchImagination wrote:Okay, after watching almost all of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I think I can better that question about an anime with clone identity theme, also spoilers on Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Okay, so Rei is an artificially created human, and there are actually dozens of her just waiting to be put to use, like tools. They're clones with the same personality, and even aware that they're clones, yet have such a apathetic reaction to it. I'd like an anime like that, that focuses on that theme.

Also, after watching a lot of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I really want something like it too, in terms of giant robots fighting a imminent threat kind of way.

you ever watched ghost in the shell stand alone complex? its seinen (a very good one at that) so there is a lot of thematic diversity on a episode by episode basis. it has at least one episode with a similar theme.

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

EldritchImagination wrote:also spoilers on Neon Genesis Evangelion

I know you actually explained there'd be spoilers, but we DO have a spoiler tag that I'd recommend using anyway.

You know, just in case.

EldritchImagination wrote:Also, after watching a lot of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I really want something like it too, in terms of giant robots fighting a imminent threat kind of way.

It's tough to recommend similar stuff to Eva. There's all kinds of giant robot anime but nothing quite hits the same tone and quality of it. If the tone isn't something you care about and are just looking for the giant robot scenario, the currently-airing Darling in the FranXX seems like it'd work, though it's only 15 episodes in right now and still has like 9 to go before it's finished. If you REALLY don't care about tone being similar, you can't go wrong with Gurren Lagann. I'm not really much of a mecha kind of guy so I don't really know all that many more series that would really be worth recommending. :no see:

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 433.00
Bank: 5,855.00
Wiki Edits: 5
evanglion isn't particularly well executed or believable but its tone is rare for such a popular show. artifical humans is a hard sci-fi topic, big fighting robots is a soft sci-fi topic.

i understand that there is a quite a bit of variation in tone between gundam seasons. perhaps you could try looking through the seasons?

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

I don't like Evangelion, yeah. I also hate Gurren Lagan though, so apparently I'm an anime heretic.

I do like Eureka 7. The original show at least, not so much anything else using the name. (Which is a mecha anime btw)

My problem with Mecha anime is usually the huge focus on pseudomagical nonsense over... everything else, really. Eureka 7 still does it, but it puts character development for 4 to 6 of it's characters front and center most of the time, and it's smart enough to start with characters that, while obviously juvenile and sorta simplicitc (at least in the beginning, that's actually part of the theme of the show) that's a thing they exploit to make the main few characters relatable early on, before you've had time to invest in them. It's not executed as well as it could have been, but it works.

It doesn't "go full mecha" until like, the last 2 episodes, at which point it's earned it's payoff. It's still sorta goofy, but it manages to feel really good by that point.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Forum_Pirate wrote:I don't like Evangelion, yeah. I also hate Gurren Lagan though, so apparently I'm an anime heretic.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm in the club of not liking Cowboy Bebop myself. Though I do always try to maintain that while there are some shows I personally don't like, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate them for the impact shows like that leave on the overall culture. I feel as long as I can do that I won't really be a "heretic" since I'm at least not saying those are actually BAD shows and that while it didn't click with me I can still at least understand why it did click with so many other people.

Forum_Pirate wrote:I do like Eureka 7. The original show at least, not so much anything else using the name. (Which is a mecha anime btw)

My problem with Mecha anime is usually the huge focus on pseudomagical nonsense over... everything else, really. Eureka 7 still does it, but it puts character development for 4 to 6 of it's characters front and center most of the time, and it's smart enough to start with characters that, while obviously juvenile and sorta simplicitc (at least in the beginning, that's actually part of the theme of the show) that's a thing they exploit to make the main few characters relatable early on, before you've had time to invest in them. It's not executed as well as it could have been, but it works.

It doesn't "go full mecha" until like, the last 2 episodes, at which point it's earned it's payoff. It's still sorta goofy, but it manages to feel really good by that point.

Renton's character arc through that series is still one of the most perfectly executed GENUINE coming-of-age story I've ever seen. All of the character and even plot developments (once you suspend your disbelief about the supernatural stuff) feel distinctly "real" without ever really seeming like they're just slapping tropes around.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,102.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Reaperfan wrote:
Forum_Pirate wrote:I don't like Evangelion, yeah. I also hate Gurren Lagan though, so apparently I'm an anime heretic.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm in the club of not liking Cowboy Bebop myself. Though I do always try to maintain that while there are some shows I personally don't like, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate them for the impact shows like that leave on the overall culture. I feel as long as I can do that I won't really be a "heretic" since I'm at least not saying those are actually BAD shows and that while it didn't click with me I can still at least understand why it did click with so many other people.

......................................................................................Well you both can go DIE IN A FIRE OF YOUR OWN HERESY!

Also does anyone have any recommendations for anime like Xam'd. I love the character becomes monster/creature that its of great importance or greatly hated themes
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Eureka 7.

That's 2 different genre/theme requests now that it meets.
- George W. Bush